Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2016, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh want's to go mirrorless? With X-mount/Fujifilm? at least 2 years away.

http://pentaxrumors.com/2016/03/08/rumors-ricoh-wants-to-enter-the-mirrorles...-camera-market

Maybe just one of those rumors... But it would make sense. Like Oly and Panasonic share a mount.

03-08-2016, 12:30 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Rumors: Ricoh Wants To Enter The Mirrorless Interchangeable Camera Market | Pentax Rumors

Maybe just one of those rumors... But it would make sense. Like Oly and Panasonic share a mount.
I'd genuinely be interested in a resurrected GXR system. So much potential there.
03-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Probably a good idea seeing Fuji are Apsc orientated, will Fuji become doomed too?
03-08-2016, 12:39 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh is in the mirrorless interchangeable lens camera market. It's called the Q.

03-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Probably a good idea seeing Fuji are Apsc orientated, will Fuji become doomed too?
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Ricoh is in the mirrorless interchangeable lens camera market. It's called the Q.
Maybe they will go full frame. Q is not a serious contender, it is a side dish. I wouldn't like focus by wire though.
03-08-2016, 12:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

And it would be nice to see some new Q thing come along this year, I think the talked about telephoto/macro would be a nice Xmas present.Even better would be a 4K video Q( with the S1 and 7 looking after stills)with the WG-M2 sensor.

---------- Post added 03-09-16 at 06:55 AM ----------

Yes, FF mirrorless has taken market share so Y not! But will Sony supply a sensor to someone who is looking to take revenue away?
03-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
And it would be nice to see some new Q thing come along this year, I think the talked about telephoto/macro would be a nice Xmas present.Even better would be a 4K video Q( with the S1 and 7 looking after stills)with the WG-M2 sensor.

---------- Post added 03-09-16 at 06:55 AM ----------

Yes, FF mirrorless has taken market share so Y not! But will Sony supply a sensor to someone who is looking to take revenue away?
Sony will sell sensors to anyone whose check will clear. The entire company was reorganized around sensors.

03-08-2016, 12:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Does anyone know the source of the WG-M2 sensor?
03-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #9

The only way I see it working out is Ricoh developing and supporting a fully functional K to X-FF adapter to bridge the lack of lenses when Fuji goes FF. But then what is the long run gain for Ricoh? Now that they launched K mount FF and are pushing it quite a bit with lenses and making all these implicit commitments to keep developing the system, they are stuck at a large flange distance mount just as much as Canon and Nikon are.

Develop a complete lens lineup for K FF over the next few years and then jump ship in a coordinated manner?

On the bright side, an XTrans Q and a 645/67 ML would be very interesting. That would be my plan: Mirrorless MF. MF is where the mirror starts getting big enough to really get in the way, and you don't need the fastest EVF, nobody shoot sports on any kind of 67 anyway.
03-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good for Ricoh.
I never liked the GXR concept, but if the mirrorless they produce has video specs on par with the A7S or other Sony's, then by all means.
03-08-2016, 01:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Maybe they will go full frame.
That was my thought too -- anyone wanting to go FF mirrorless that isn't already there (e.g. Fuji, Olympus, Pentax, Nikon, Canon) would be wise to partner and standardize on a common FF mirrorless mount. Sony has shown that the FF mirrorless market is real. My daughter (a pro based in California) says that pretty much all the lifestyle photographers on the west coast are using Sony these days -- especially with Canon lenses!

Michael
03-08-2016, 01:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote

To be honest.. the Q system is not enough to really get into the mirrorless market, working with Fuji sonds IMO great.. hopefully it can be done.
03-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
To be honest.. the Q system is not enough to really get into the mirrorless market, working with Fuji sonds IMO great.. hopefully it can be done.
It's a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. Therefore, they are in the mirrorless interchangeable lens market. They might not have a big slice of it, but they have a slice. It's already a crowded market, one that Samsung has already failed in.
03-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Yes, the Qs are a niche, Qute and Quddly but there is a gap in the Ricoh/Pentax lineup Co development can halve the cost and blend the tech but we can only wait(like the FFrame desireers did!)

---------- Post added 03-09-16 at 07:29 AM ----------

Samsung failed?....nobody knows whats going on there at this stage.The NX line is developed very well, time will tell ???
03-08-2016, 01:40 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Mmm they stated a couple years ago that mirrorless was OK up to APS, not bigger.
But that was a couple years ago and maybe that was conditionned by EVF tech of that era (still absurdly bad IMO but that's me).