Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2016, 12:05 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Who says it will be marketed as Pentax? They might just as well call it Ricoh. Who gives a hoot? More choice and competition is always better. It drives innovation.

03-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Neither M4/3 nor ICLmirrorless @ the moment....but Panasonic can offer both
03-13-2016, 12:10 PM   #93

Ricoh made a statement that all interchangeable lens cameras will have the pentax brand...
03-13-2016, 12:42 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I'm really trying to see why anyone would give a hoot? This is already a solved problem.

If I want mirrorless, and I don't want the super tiny Q; what can Pentax give me above the existing offerings? If I want mirrorless, I'll buy a Sony. If I want m4/3 I'll buy an Olympus. What is the Pentax brand going to offer me?
Maybe the same differences that a Pentax reflex can offer compared to Nikon and Canon.

03-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I'm really trying to see why anyone would give a hoot? This is already a solved problem.

If I want mirrorless, and I don't want the super tiny Q; what can Pentax give me above the existing offerings? If I want mirrorless, I'll buy a Sony. If I want m4/3 I'll buy an Olympus. What is the Pentax brand going to offer me?
The lenses. Many of us might have switched long ago except for our cherished K-mount lenses.
03-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh (or rather, Pentax) already has plenty of camera mounts. Q, K (APSC and FF), 645 (crop and full), and even some legacy mounts like 110 and 67. I don't think it would be wise to make yet another mount. And it would be even worse to "sell out" and join another company's mount. Maybe if Ricoh buys that company, first, but even then it would be a mess differentiating between Ricoh, Pentax and Third Brand camera systems.
03-13-2016, 02:40 PM   #97
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
. CDAF is also fast, in my experience.
It's slow, Mecrox.

That's why mirrorless manufacturers are having to bcke in PDAF points to their sensors.

03-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's slow, Mecrox.

That's why mirrorless manufacturers are having to bcke in PDAF points to their sensors.
Not for single shots, not at all, at least on my camera. I think PDAF is for tracking, which is fair enough.
03-13-2016, 03:26 PM   #99
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Not for single shots, not at all, at least on my camera. I think PDAF is for tracking, which is fair enough.
Your mirrorless camera may have a poor PDAF implementation.

Go to a modern DSLR, take pictures (especially in low contrast situations like low light), and see the difference between speeds to focus in Live View and not.
03-13-2016, 04:06 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Go to a modern DSLR, take pictures (especially in low contrast situations like low light), and see the difference between speeds to focus in Live View and not.
My mirrorless camera has very fast CDAF and that's enough for me I didn't buy it because of its PDAF implementation. If I needed fast, top-notch tracking focus, I would likely use a DSLR for its PDAF. As it is, I hardly ever need this so CDAF is fine for my purposes. There's really no better or worse here in some absolute sense. It's horses for courses, tools for the job, etc. And each to their own.
03-13-2016, 04:16 PM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Maybe if Ricoh buys that company, first, but even then it would be a mess differentiating between Ricoh, Pentax and Third Brand camera systems.
That strategy represented a significant part of Ricoh's growth in office machines over the last thirty years. Often they ran the acquired brand in parallel and gradually consolidated certain administrative functions. They improved manufacturing operations either at the acquired company or at their own with acquired processes, skill and real estate.
03-13-2016, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #102
Veteran Member

Panasonic GH4 uses CDAF with DFD and is very very fast. I know someone that switched from Canon full frame to the GH4 for street and events and he says the AF is great.

At the end of the day, what tech is used doesn't matter as long as the camera gets the results in the form factor and price point desired.
03-13-2016, 06:32 PM   #103
Veteran Member

All that demonstrates is CDAF on DSLRs is slow. I played with an Oly E-M1 in a nearby store and it was as fast focusing as any camera I've ever touched (for single shots). Tracking is not as good but it gets much better with each successive generation of camera body (caveat: when there's on-sensor PDAF). Nikon, Canon, and to a lesser extent, Ricoh, still have an advantage but I wonder if that's more due to many years of software development than it is to hardware.
03-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #104
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

My mirrorless camera has very fast CDAF and that's enough for me
Olympus, right?

I used a friend's EM-10D and found it no better than my NEX 7 or A7, neither of which I'd use for action or sports.

It's horses for courses, tools for the job, etc. And each to their own.
Agreed. ☺
03-14-2016, 03:09 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Ricoh (or rather, Pentax) already has plenty of camera mounts. Q, K (APSC and FF), 645 (crop and full), and even some legacy mounts like 110 and 67. I don't think it would be wise to make yet another mount. And it would be even worse to "sell out" and join another company's mount. Maybe if Ricoh buys that company, first, but even then it would be a mess differentiating between Ricoh, Pentax and Third Brand camera systems.
I think It would be unfair to use legacy mounts as an argument against a new mount. And I think its wise to have a small upgradeability within one mount. Like from APS-C to FF or from 1/2,3" to 1/1,7". I don’t think the current three mounts will remain. K is of course the strongest and will probably last for a long time, but Q are in my opinion a temporarily mount that wont survive the competition from high end compacts the next decade. I wont be surprised if the Q mount is abandoned before 2020. The 645 is another matter. The cameras are good for high end studio shooting but the competition from FF K-mount will be hard. I think it will get an upgrade path to digital FF 645 in the near future to keep its position as a high end camera.

A new mount would probably fill a hole in the current line up and be mirrorless. I have no clue at what sensor format they may choose but I would guess it will offer upgradeability to MF sensor sizes because larger sensors will get cheaper over the next decades and Pentax don’t wont to invest a lot into a short lived mount. It could maybe start with APS-C, FF and 33x44mm but have a large enough mount ring to be upgradable to full frame 645 in the future. Or they may skip APS-C from the beginning. And I believe Pentax will ease our upgrade path by offering mount adapters with electronic coupling and maybe a focus motor.

Your mirrorless camera may have a poor PDAF implementation. Go to a modern DSLR, take pictures (especially in low contrast situations like low light), and see the difference between speeds to focus in Live View and not.
Modern DSLRs are not optimized for non PDAF focusing. The best mirrorless cameras have superior focusing compared to low end dslrs, but they are not quite up to the dslr competition in their own price range. If high end follow focusing is the absolute top priority there is not much that competes with D500, D5 and 1DX mkII.