Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2016, 01:14 PM - 2 Likes   #211
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, I hate to bring up equivalence, but a lens would have to be a lot faster than f2.8 on a Q to have the same performance that a 24-70 f2.8 will have on full frame.
Uh oh ... say "equivalence" three times and the "Actually," guy appears.

04-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Performance is the Qey here,

That little lens kicks Q, Qute light Qompact��
04-06-2016, 01:49 PM   #213
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Uh oh ... say "equivalence" three times and the "Actually," guy appears.
I know. And I hate to mention it because the whole point of using cameras with smaller sensors is because you don't care out about shallow depth of field and you want ultimate portability. If that is the case, who cares if you have a f5.6 or f8 equivalent lens? But it isn't really the same...
04-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #214
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I came back to this forum after several months. Interesting reading.
I can say as a user of both DSLR and mirrorless, that main advantage of MILC is not the size of the camera but AF (reliability, accuracy, coverage of AF points) and WYSIWYG. There will be people who never accept EVF but there will be less and less. The size and weight of the MILC system (at least with wide and normal focal length) are, of course, pleasant.
AF speed difference between DSLR and MILC disappears for both single and continuous AF. A big game changer will be the global shutter, coming in ca 2018. It will have an impact on flash sync speed and faster image analysis for better continuous AF.

So what will remain as main differences between DSLR and MILC? The mirror and power consumption. Is it enough?
I don‘t think that Pentax will introduce new MILC mount for (APSC or FF) with a whole new line of lenses. Q, K and 645 are simply too much. Pentax (is) was an excellent lens producer, but when you look at a number of new lenses in recent years, it’s simply not enough for a new mount.
I believe, that MILC becomes mainstream. I can imagine that Pentax brings K mount MILC but flange distance will always influence its form factor. 645 MILC with its ca 70mm flange distance would be already strange...

Last edited by Jan67; 04-06-2016 at 11:26 PM.
04-06-2016, 02:58 PM   #215
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A 645 Milc would NOT keep the flange as it is. No way. Not even sure an FF one would keep it.
04-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
A 645 Milc would NOT keep the flange as it is. No way. Not even sure an FF one would keep it.
Agree, but I wonder what flange distance they will use? How much shorter than current? The short flange of the Sony A7 often results in longer lenses to make the light rays perpendicular. Short flange MF will be even worse unless they do something crazy like use a curved sensor...
04-06-2016, 04:13 PM   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, I hate to bring up equivalence, but a lens would have to be a lot faster than f2.8 on a Q to have the same performance that a 24-70 f2.8 will have on full frame.
Depends what you're looking for.
Me, I'm loving the depth of field you get with the Q
Remember we're talking 70-200 equivalent, not 24-70 or 35-105.

04-06-2016, 04:56 PM   #218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If they used a combination of MF BSI sensor (to address the acute angle of incoming light from wide-angle lenses) and modeled the body on something like the Mamiya 6 or Mamiya 7, then you would have an idea about what it "might" look like. I should add, the Mamiya 7II was one of my favorite cameras of all time back when I was shooting film.

Michael
04-06-2016, 11:19 PM   #219

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
If they used a combination of MF BSI sensor (to address the acute angle of incoming light from wide-angle lenses) and modeled the body on something like the Mamiya 6 or Mamiya 7, then you would have an idea about what it "might" look like. I should add, the Mamiya 7II was one of my favorite cameras of all time back when I was shooting film.

Michael
Mamiya really set the mark for portable MF cameras. Pentax could do alot worse than emulate the 7II
04-07-2016, 01:35 AM   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Agree, but I wonder what flange distance they will use? How much shorter than current? The short flange of the Sony A7 often results in longer lenses to make the light rays perpendicular. Short flange MF will be even worse unless they do something crazy like use a curved sensor...
A MF MILC MF would probably use a flange distance of a couple of centimeters. Thats good space for things they might want do put in between the lens mount and sensor in the future. Its also short enough to make significantly more freedom for lens designers.

Tele lenses would probably be as much longer as the flange distance is reduced
Normal lenses about the same length or maybe a little longer (not as much as the flange distance is reduced)
Wide angle lenses would probably be shorter

Two Sigma 30mm f/1,4 lenses, both made for APS-C with similar material quality and same near focus distance. This is obviously not the same optical construction, but optimized for different flange distances:
The Sony E-mount version have a diameter of 65mm and a length of 73mm and weighs 265g
The Pentax K-mount version have a diameter 74mm and a length of 63mm and weighs 435g
The MILC optimized one are 10 mm longer and the flange distance is 27,46 mm shorter. In total 17,46 mm shorter and almost 40% lighter.

I don't know of any good comparisons for wide angle lenses.
04-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #221
Veteran Member

I just came to think of a way to combine off sensor PDAF with short flange distance. It can be done by reducing the height of the PDAF sensing area. Lets say if the PDAF area covers the full with but only the 1/3 middle part of the height. This can be done by a horizontal 45 degree angled wide but low height mirror and a horizontal PDAF sensor just in front of the shutter. A mechanism that will be lifted out of the optical path before exposure, just like a traditional PDAF mirror, but much lower height to enable shorter flange distance. It may also be more then one of these PDAF units if more height coverage is important. Other angles then 45 degrees is also possible.
04-09-2016, 12:56 AM   #222
Pentaxian

Actually, it's been a long time since Ricoh went mirrorless...

OK, with no interchangeable lens... just like Leica Q and GR... with a very coherent concept.

Is history bond to stutter ?

Last edited by Zygonyx; 04-09-2016 at 01:07 AM.
04-18-2016, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #223
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does it have an R pin to get stuck on my camera?
04-18-2016, 09:58 PM   #224

I was thinking--Bronica had some nice 645 rangefinder lenses. I wonder if Pentax could license the formulas and update the lenses for their own digital version? Bronica had a very advanced, all-electronic, in-lens leaf shutter that would be a nice addition--a bit bulky but slick! I know Tamron (Bronicas owner) doesn't do much with Pentax but perhaps this could be a one off?