Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Interesting camera useage stats.

I was just poking around in the 'cameras used' section of Flickr to see how the K20 was doing. I guess I wasn't too surprised at the numbers with the whole market share thing, though even among all Pentax cameras is was 6th in daily useage by a substantial margin (K10 was #1).

Anyways, here are my cliff notes (daily useage from July 6th 2008)

Users who uploaded 1 or more images yesterday using:

-K20D 59
-K10D 516
(-istDL 103)

Are Pentax users slow to change, or maybe didn't see enough of a reason to change out a good K10 for the K20? So I thought, I'll see what the D300 is up too (kind of expected hundreds)

-D300 29 (twenty nine, thats correct)

What the heck? Wheres all the Nikon users?

-D3 222 (7 times the useage of the D300, huh...)
-D80 3288 (#1 useage, Nikon)

Oh... and Canon?

-Rebel XTi 6590 (#1 used camera of all yesterday)
-EOS 40D 2264

Scary, but something interesting:

-EOS 5D 1461
-EOS 1D MkIII 191

A reasonable showing for FF, given the limited and expensive options (and the D3 is competing well).

Doesn't seem like maybe the K20 made the splash predicted (so far), but then - the newest high end APS-Cs in all stables are all lagging a bit by comparison to more affordable models. Then however, there is a big jump again at the 5D... Is it too soon to predict the possibility that the market at this altitude is waiting for... something? (hehe, wishful thinking perhaps?) It'll be interesting to see how the D700 does.

But then again, reading daily stats is like looking at faces in clouds right?

Source Flickr: Camera Finder

07-08-2008, 01:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Exqewz me... 251 users yesterday were K100D users.
07-08-2008, 05:30 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
your stats only apply to Flickr users

Unfortunately the stats you quote are meaningless in any other context than as a subset of Flickr users. There are not only several other online hosting services, but almost countless reasons why photographers don't choose to post there.

My personal (real life) experience with Pentax users is that a fair percentage of them are long time photographers who find Pentax ergonomics and systems suit them. This seems to be true of a lot of the online users of various Pentax forums too. Certainly Pentax claim to make many of their decisions based on their users being more knowledgeable than just snap shooters and able to decide on many things for themselves.

If that is true then perhaps Pentax users are harsher in their assessment of their images and therefore only post their best work while CaNik users post willy nilly any image that isn't completely black or totally white? Not that I have seen evidence of this because the quality of photos has far more to do with the photographer than their equipment.

Maybe most Pentax users post on face book? Or maybe, the copyright of their best photos belongs to someone else. Regardless, I can't say I've ever been moved to spend time uploading any of my images for people I don't know or care about to ogle my photos.

I have to wonder at the full frame stats though. The other reason I don't bother posting my photos is that I usually charge people for them. Despite this I can't afford a D3 and a swag of lenses, nor do I need one. I can only assume the big two are busily opening dodgy accounts and posting away to boost the perceived popularity of their big guns to boost sales of glorified point and shoots to beginners.
07-08-2008, 06:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

i wonder if zenfolio has this feature...

07-08-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Exqewz me... 251 users yesterday were K100D users.
I know eh! I have a feeling we won't see a big change in the order up there until the next gen body drops the price of the K20/200 again.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
i wonder if zenfolio has this feature...
Interesting site. Admittedly, I just looked at a few sites before I chose flickr. Zenfolio seems to be a better tool for customized presentation, though flickr is probably a lot more 'friendly'. I mean, I couldn't seem to find any photos to look at at Zenfolio, heh! Both seem to encapsulate very different philosophies.

I may look into a place like Zenfolio as an online portfolio solution if I ever take myself that seriously (as you say though... wheres the stats? I love stats!)
07-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't even have a Flickr account...
07-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
I know eh! I have a feeling we won't see a big change in the order up there until the next gen body drops the price of the K20/200 again.

Interesting site. Admittedly, I just looked at a few sites before I chose flickr. Zenfolio seems to be a better tool for customized presentation, though flickr is probably a lot more 'friendly'. I mean, I couldn't seem to find any photos to look at at Zenfolio, heh! Both seem to encapsulate very different philosophies.

I may look into a place like Zenfolio as an online portfolio solution if I ever take myself that seriously (as you say though... wheres the stats? I love stats!)
the reason i like zenfolio are as follows:

a) images presented are resized based on how large your window is up to a maximum of i think 1200X1000 ish, making zenfolio easily viewable for ANYONE with ANY resolution, including people like your grandparents that have some shitty 800X600 thing going on.

b) the algorithm for jpeg resizing is very good, this isnt like facebook where they resize in a way that makes your pictures look like total shit

c) easy uploading drag and drop design, also it has the ability to work directly with programs like lightroom so you can export straight into your zenfolio account!

d) i like the fact that outside users cant copy/paste the image, requiring them to visit the site (unless they know how to bypass html/java code or whatever it is, i know i dont know how to do it), although you may turn on the option for people to download the original file, or have it blocked by a password.

all the while, when you brows your own galleries, if you are logged in, you can select a menu with various sized jpeg links which you can then post on the web or whatever, without having to worry about resizing.

07-08-2008, 09:35 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the info - food for thought!

I'll have to trial Zenfolio and see if I can transplant some of my interests - I've really grown to love texture sharing and some of the special interest groups (also searching for pics taken by various lenses). I signed up to RedBubble as well but didn't find the same width of community there, just less folks I guess. Photobucket was just that. I'll give Zen a whirl.
07-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Anyways, here are my cliff notes (daily useage from July 6th 2008)

Users who uploaded 1 or more images yesterday using:

-K20D 59
-K10D 516
(-istDL 103)

Source Flickr: Camera Finder

Wow - I was one of those 59 K10D uploaders yesterday! It's weird to think that there were only 58 other people in the world who uploaded an image from the K20D yesterday...

In early May we took a drive through the West, and I remember realizing that, in all likelihood, some of the stuff I was shooting had never been captured by a K20D before then. Kinda neat.

07-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter

And I was another one

Its not to many, but I am not sure what it means. Can't you find out for a week or a month. Takes out coincidence.

Kees
07-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Are Pentax users slow to change, or maybe didn't see enough of a reason to change out a good K10 for the K20?
The later explanation seems pretty reasonable...A K20D might be nice, but it will take a bigger carrot than that to make me drop another $1K for a new camera in the near future.

Steve
07-08-2008, 06:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like someone else said this is only true for flickr users. I don't even have an active flickr acct. All my (posted) work goes on SmugMug. I would be willing to bet that the professional photogs, or at least the ones owning the professional cameras avoid flickr. Check out Pbase if you are looking for the more expensive cameras like the D300 or the 40D.
I would imagine the if you were to poll K20D users here, I would not be surprised that you'd find that the majority post elsewhere from flickr.

NaCl(flickr is not known as a pro site)H2O
07-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Like someone else said this is only true for flickr users. I don't even have an active flickr acct. All my (posted) work goes on SmugMug. I would be willing to bet that the professional photogs, or at least the ones owning the professional cameras avoid flickr. Check out Pbase if you are looking for the more expensive cameras like the D300 or the 40D.
I would imagine the if you were to poll K20D users here, I would not be surprised that you'd find that the majority post elsewhere from flickr.

NaCl(flickr is not known as a pro site)H2O
Another site to trial, I'm learning a lot in this thread. SmugMug - looks pretty good too thanks for the lead. Admittedly, I opted against pbase when I signed up for flickr (it was one of the few I did check out). The layout looks like something from the late '90s which put me off at the time (and the stats are a curmudgeon, a minor gripe. At least it has them!) Seen plenty of nice pics there too though.

It would be nice to track the usage of various gear on these other sites. Most don't have them laid right out there. If anyone has links to cross reference the numbers here, it might help to corroborate any trends.

FWIW, I'm not pro any-one-site-or-another, whatever gives me more for less. I will certainly suggest I've met and learned a lot from 'pros' on Flickr though, even some folks from here. Its been great for exploring and learning. I think someday if I take this past the occasionally paid hobby stage, I might investigate a site like SmugMug or Zenfolio where I can customize the layout. Thats my only complaint of Flickr at the moment.
07-09-2008, 05:49 AM   #14

[QUOTE=NaClH2O;286911]Like someone else said this is only true for flickr users.

I have a K20 and only upload photos to Photosig, dont know if that helps!
07-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pirate, I don't push one site over another either, and I'm woefully ignorant of flickr. I only mentioned pbase because the three professionals that I am personal friends with, (face to face not purely internet acquaintances) all post on pbase. When I asked why? noting as you did their byzantine interface all three replied with "it's where us pros go". I will say that I am happy with my SmugMug paid account, and am not looking to go anywhere else.

NaCl(it does what I want it to do, relatively inexpensively)H2O