Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2016, 03:54 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty sure that banding issue will be gone in final product. And also other things will be calibrated. No doubt on that. So chill the beans.

03-20-2016, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
Idon't expect any major changes between this and the final firmware.
But we have already seen two different preproduction firmwares, and this is the older, worse one. Tweaking things like ISO calibration, noise reduction, colour calibration, is something that can easily be changed even later. And while I don't know how indicative the firmware numbers are, it seems like 0,3 and 0,4 are still far from 1,0. And since this is preproduction we don't even know if the hardware will be all the same, much less the firmware. Because the point of preproduction is to find faults and fix them before the real product hits the shelves. Excessive banding, noise, are exactly the kind of things that would get worked on, I think, especially since such a large part of a camera review these days is just the sensor performance.

Another thing to consider is the 16MP sensor in K-5IIs. Pentax squeezed more out of the sensor in K-5 than Nikon did out of the same Sony sensor in their D7000 (K-5 had lower minimum ISO and slightly better noise performance, higher DR, if I remember right) . And Pentax continued to build on this sensor, making the K-5IIs - which is even better and was almost revolutionary as a DSLR without AA filter (noticeably sharper than the Nikon AA version of the sensor). So I really doubt that Pentax would take the 36MP sensor and get significantly worse results than Nikon. I expect the differences to be relatively negligible, or for Pentax to be just a hair ahead, since they are doing it a little later (and support technology might have evolved since the first D800, Sony might have tweaked the sensor hardware, and Pentax might have learned from Nikon's use of the same sensor)
03-20-2016, 06:50 AM   #63
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I'm sure that will be the case, even without seeing it, I can tell the K-1 is going to be a winner. Just like some people can tell it's not really as good as a D810, regardless of what the people who have actually used a K-1 are saying.
Now that is total reason and makes perfect sense.....even to an old guy like me that is not nearly as sharp as Schraubstock claims!

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi Rupert, you are an intelligent man with a brain as sharp as a well honed knife, so you can work this out for yourself.
Schraubstock....I think you got me confused with one of my squirrels? I showed that to Mrs Rupert and she spewed out her morning coffee all over my desk....and she wouldn't clean it up!

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Since there are more eyes in India and China which use light and if the population keeps growing at the current rate, these countries will soon be in total darkness only minutes after sun rise. This is inescapable logic.
We won't be around to mourn their loss.....in America the season is here and politicians are sucking all the oxygen out of the atmosphere at a record pace. I just hope I get my new K1 in time to enjoy it a little while!

Best Regards guys/girls....The K1 is coming soon, we need to all put on our Happy Faces!
03-20-2016, 07:49 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Austro-Diesel Quote
Hmmm, your're right. Maybe energy-saving lamps, these use a internally generated higher frequency. The reflexions show two round lamps.

What's different at Nikon? No idea.
The D810 with final firmware probably have flickering light compensation, and the K-1 probably didn’t have that yet in that early preproduction firmware.

03-20-2016, 09:36 AM   #65
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Looks like possible noise reduction is done in the K-1 at Hi iso settings. Maybe even in RAW. We will see in future tests.
03-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #66
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Looks like possible noise reduction is done in the K-1 at Hi iso settings. Maybe even in RAW. We will see in future tests.
Why do you say that? Because there's no possible way a Pentax could surpass a Nikon natively?
03-20-2016, 09:42 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Also the Pentax shot is zoomed in more than the Nikon one. So it is hard to say something definite about noise and sharpness:

03-20-2016, 09:42 AM   #68
Veteran Member

They were not taken i RAW.
03-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #69
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Why do you say that? Because there's no possible way a Pentax could surpass a Nikon natively?
Pentax has done that before with camera models. Nothing wrong in that, just comparing images is different.
03-20-2016, 11:42 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax has done that before with camera models. Nothing wrong in that, just comparing images is different.
Hoya Pentax or RICOH Pentax, Ron?
03-20-2016, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #71
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Canon does that as well in their 1DX flagship: Canon EOS 1Dx : Measurements - DxOMark
If the clear industry leader does it in their current top-of -the-line $5,000 model it can't be so bad, I guess.
Seems like they learned from another small player.

QuoteQuote:
Canon EOS 1Dx smoothed
03-20-2016, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #72
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

This appears to be another case of:

Rule #1: Nikon is better than Pentax.
Rule #2: If there's an image taken by a Pentax that is better than one taken by a Nikon; see rule #1.

The question was why you think the lower noise is due to NR having been applied.
Do you have some evidence, or are you just presenting an assumption as fact?
03-20-2016, 12:36 PM   #73
rlatjsrud

Rule #2: If there's an image taken by a Pentax that is better than one taken by a Nikon; see rule #1.

The question was why you think the lower noise is due to NR having been applied.
Do you have prove that Nikon is better than Pentax? Pentax is still one of the best company for sensor tuning. They beat Nikon and Sony before even they used SAME sensor. I really don't know why Nikon is better than Pentax without any evidences?
03-20-2016, 12:38 PM - 2 Likes   #74
Veteran Member

Amazing. Everytime something is said that can in any tiny way be perceived as speaking negative of Pentax, the poster gets latched on and yelled at.
He wasn't bashing the camera but the test, he even said so himself a couple of posts up. Pulling hyperboles like this is useless and only serves to undermine the credibility of the community.

I will give you this though, writing "appears" instead of "is" is a very clever way of CYA in case the statement turns out to be incorrect, while still strongly implicating the quoted poster.
And all things considered, while I don't know Ron personally, I've been here long enough to gather he isn't one to mindlessly talk **** about Pentax.

I seriously think this thread needs to be locked, if only because there are major flaws with the test linked in the OP.

Last edited by Parallax; 03-20-2016 at 12:48 PM.
03-20-2016, 12:41 PM   #75
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Do you have prove that Nikon is better than Pentax? Pentax is still one of the best company for sensor tuning. They beat Nikon and Sony before even they used SAME sensor. I really don't know why Nikon is better than Pentax without any evidences?
Apperantly you missed the sarcasm in that.