Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 66 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2016, 06:35 AM   #181
Veteran Member

New clip (Short)

04-12-2016, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #182
Pentaxian

Fake. They didn't use a Pentax, but a Canon - and we know a Canon isn't truly resistant to extreme conditions.

P.S. Wait a minute... there's something weird with your sig
04-12-2016, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #183
Veteran Member

regarding to this video... these extreme conditions are some "accidential watersplashes" which also the canon can take. haha.
I hope they will come with some photos FROM this soon. Photos OF this lens has been posted en masse

@Kunzite:
Nothing weird with my signature. Absolutely loved your comment when they announced the camera back in february. Another amazing quote (which I unfortunately do not find anymore) was from "VoiceOfReason". They discussed what the sensor and the camera would be able to exceed or so... and she broke in with something like: "I tell you what it does, it exceeds the capacity of 99.9888888 percent of all photographers here in this thread"
04-12-2016, 10:08 AM   #184
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Won't be cheap will it? Rumored $650+ if I read right.

04-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Won't be cheap will it? Rumored $650+ if I read right.
The prices have been officially announced as €695 for the Blackstone and €475 for the Firefly version.
04-13-2016, 01:50 PM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Yup! I have read quite a few of them. It would be the lens to get. $1450 is really not that bad, until you consider that the Tamron goes for $1200 (full retail at B&H) and the Pentax does not need the lens based stabilization (so probably about $1K - but who knows about the license fee to Tamron). So, leveling things out, even with the Pentax coatings and focus clutch - we are paying a premium - but not as much as the Nikon folks. Pentax is figuring that its less than the Nikon, so everything should be OK.

No disrespect to Pentax, but it's not Nikon. What I mean by that is the market it serves is entirely different. I get the whole act like you want to be treated thing. But Pentax is the Suzuki of the camera world. Solidly built, dependable, functional, a good value, and even fun to use, but it's not a BMW.

Here is a different example. Anyone remember the HP TouchPad? Well if not, it was HPs first tablet with its newly acquired WEBOS. HP couldn't out buy Apple for the parts it wanted, but it did ok on the spec sheet. Anyway, HP execs felt that all they had to do was match or slightly undercut the iPad for a winner. Well, a few weeks into TouchPad sales, HP pulled the plug on mobile hardware and WebOS, I guess matching the market leader isn't going to get it done.

The point being, Pentax market is entirely different, and it should be at most the same cost as the Tamron and obviously less than the Nikon.

I am mildly excited about this Irix lens. I don't see myself buying it, but I have wished for a weather sealed UW in Pentax mount. I love the size of the DA 15...But nothing below 16mm in Pentax is sealed. So this might peak my interest enough to buy it.

04-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
The point being, Pentax market is entirely different, and it should be at most the same cost as the Tamron and obviously less than the Nikon.
You could actually argue in the exact opposite direction and say that because Pentax users have no alternative, Pentax can actually charge pretty much what they want for the 15-30 f/2.8. There's no competition They shouldn't push it, obviously, otherwise people will leave the system.

04-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
You could actually argue in the exact opposite direction and say that because Pentax users have no alternative, Pentax can actually charge pretty much what they want for the 15-30 f/2.8. There's no competition They shouldn't push it, obviously, otherwise people will leave the system.
Well, I think that was my point. That it's a value driven system and/or niche system depending on what you are using. Those using zooms are probably in it for the value, those using the limited lenses are more niche. Obviously Pentax makes some nice stuff, but they also have a lot of users who are in the system because of the value.

However, Pentax typically has a steep early adopter fee, which doesn't bother me a bit. I always feel like if you are willing to pay a premium to have something shiny and new ASAP, it's worth it to you. I've occasionally done that but generally, I wait a few months and then buy in.

04-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #189
Veteran Member

I still amazed that people see a Tamron lens... wheres the Tamron 15-30 and the 24-70 Tamron brand in K mount? I only see the Pentax one, the one that Ricoh buy the license, make produce, to be able to sell the lens for his mount... Unless tamron gave for free all this stuff (licensing and produce) it cost money that Ricoh is charging, you dont want it? You can wait until tamron release the same lens in k mount.

04-13-2016, 03:51 PM   #190
Pentaxian

I strongly disagree with that statement, as it implies that Pentax is a second, scratch that, third rate manufacturer; and that's a load of... ahem; I don't want to be banned. And yes, it does imply disrespect towards Pentax.

With such thinking, we'd have no D FA* 70-200, no D FA 150-450, no K-1; and no 645, of course. We'd have a Pentax struggling to compete on volume, yet obviously lacking the volumes to do so.
In the meanwhile - ironically - Tamron and Sigma are working to move upper market. Because that's the smart thing to do.
04-13-2016, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I strongly disagree with that statement, as it implies that Pentax is a second, scratch that, third rate manufacturer; and that's a load of... ahem; I don't want to be banned. And yes, it does imply disrespect towards Pentax.

With such thinking, we'd have no D FA* 70-200, no D FA 150-450, no K-1; and no 645, of course. We'd have a Pentax struggling to compete on volume, yet obviously lacking the volumes to do so.
In the meanwhile - ironically - Tamron and Sigma are working to move upper market. Because that's the smart thing to do.
Honestly, the years of me being emotional about camera gear are long gone. Get upset or don't, I don't care.

Pentax isn't a 2nd or third rate manufacturer, but it's not a market leader. Nor is it a niche maker on the quality level of Leica. So that makes it somewhat in the middle. Exactly what I said.

Pentax does need to produce a better product at lower cost to compete and survive. Argue that all you want, but it's reality.

04-13-2016, 11:21 PM   #192
Pentaxian

Do you think I'm simply being emotional? Are you thus rejecting my point of view, just like that? (isn't this an emotional response? did you get upset because I disagreed?)

Note that what I disagreed with was the idea that Pentax "should be at most the same cost as the Tamron". At most? "Pentax market" would rather pay less, or grudgingly "at most the same" for a Pentax branded product?
You can make a valid point about Pentax having difficulties in competing at the same price levels with Canon and Nikon (though I wouldn't generalize). OK. But Pentax is still an OEM and Tamron is a 3rd-party maker brand.
04-13-2016, 11:34 PM   #193
Pentaxian

Honestly, the years of me being emotional about camera gear are long gone. Get upset or don't, I don't care.

Pentax isn't a 2nd or third rate manufacturer, but it's not a market leader. Nor is it a niche maker on the quality level of Leica. So that makes it somewhat in the middle. Exactly what I said.

Pentax does need to produce a better product at lower cost to compete and survive. Argue that all you want, but it's reality.
I don't think product's quality/price ratio is the only ONE key success factor... Or Pentax should have MUCH bigger market shares today...

I believe those other aspects are even more significant :
1- communication
2- advertising
3- efficient sales and repair networks

To date, only point n°1 has visibly improved, with the opening or a dedicated web platform for FF line, and teaser site for K-1.

For point n°2, i wonder when Ricoh Imaging offices will simply e-mail all their customers about that big event .... to date only RI UK seem to have done it. There is NO SIMPLER way of advertising.... but ?

For point n°3, i wonder if there is any plan, because to date i can only whitness ONE local and french initiative, that remains private and not really backed as it should by RI Europe...
04-14-2016, 03:02 AM   #194
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No disrespect to Pentax, but it's not Nikon. What I mean by that is the market it serves is entirely different. I get the whole act like you want to be treated thing. But Pentax is the Suzuki of the camera world. Solidly built, dependable, functional, a good value, and even fun to use, but it's not a BMW.

Here is a different example. Anyone remember the HP TouchPad? Well if not, it was HPs first tablet with its newly acquired WEBOS. HP couldn't out buy Apple for the parts it wanted, but it did ok on the spec sheet. Anyway, HP execs felt that all they had to do was match or slightly undercut the iPad for a winner. Well, a few weeks into TouchPad sales, HP pulled the plug on mobile hardware and WebOS, I guess matching the market leader isn't going to get it done.

I am mildly excited about this Irix lens. I don't see myself buying it, but I have wished for a weather sealed UW in Pentax mount. I love the size of the DA 15...But nothing below 16mm in Pentax is sealed. So this might peak my interest enough to buy it.
All the camera companies currently use the same sensors (except for Canon). To differentiate yourself, you need to bring other things to the table and it does look to me like Pentax has done that with the in camera stabilization and the other features that will be added on for that. Add a full frame SLR with a relatively compact size, good sealing, and you have a camera that shows Pentax DNA very clearly.

The question in North America remains more one of marketing and whether Pentax gets aggressive in that sense is uncertain. If they continue in the mode they have been in, they will sell fewer cameras here, but they also will have less exposure.

The DFA 15-30, is a Tamron lens by all accounts made to Pentax's specifications. This certainly means cosmetic changes, but it may mean other tweaks as well as the use of Pentax coatings in its manufacture. Depending on what these tweaks are, having a 200 dollar surcharge may not be unreasonable, although I imagine in a few months the 15-30 price will be closer to the Tamron's street value. The price for the Tamron 24-70 is the same in the US as the price for the Pentax 24-70 (although currently the Tamron does have a 200 dollar rebate going).

I do think the Irix looks interesting and having sealing is really handy to have for outdoor lenses.
04-14-2016, 11:42 AM - 2 Likes   #195
Veteran Member

uhhh I like the sight

28-105 | IRIX 15 | old Kit 18-55 | Samyang 14

(I am thinking about the new D-FA Kitlens and wanted to see the sizes in comparison and there I found the IRIX already implemented)
Attached Images