Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 66 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
uhhh I like the sight

28-105 | IRIX 15 | old Kit 18-55 | Samyang 14

(I am thinking about the new D-FA Kitlens and wanted to see the sizes in comparison and there I found the IRIX already implemented)
+1 Thanks for the comparison. I ordered the kit lens with my K1. And this lens is on my short list once some images and reviews start to appear. I really like the 15-30 but it is a monster.

04-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dice Quote
I really like the 15-30 but it is a monster.
you are welcome.
the 15-30 is really damn interesting but a monster in weight and in killing my wallet. there will be a decrease in pricing until the end of the year. I think I will not let go of buying any lenses. I want to see some real life photos and then I will talk. but the 28-105 looks like a winner as much as I saw already.
04-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
old Kit 18-55
Its the DA 12-24, not a 18-55.
04-14-2016, 01:18 PM   #199
Pentaxian

Yes.
But nice thing to see those lenses there.

04-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I don't think product's quality/price ratio is the only ONE key success factor... Or Pentax should have MUCH bigger market shares today...

I believe those other aspects are even more significant :
1- communication
2- advertising
3- efficient sales and repair networks

To date, only point n°1 has visibly improved, with the opening or a dedicated web platform for FF line, and teaser site for K-1.

For point n°2, i wonder when Ricoh Imaging offices will simply e-mail all their customers about that big event .... to date only RI UK seem to have done it. There is NO SIMPLER way of advertising.... but ?

For point n°3, i wonder if there is any plan, because to date i can only whitness ONE local and french initiative, that remains private and not really backed as it should by RI Europe...
These are great points. And another reason Pentax isn't a top tier camera company.

However, if you ever look at Tom Hogan's site, Nikon repair quality and speed is awful. I think Pentax contracting out seems to be not as bad as expected.

That said, I agree with your points entirely.

They don't market well and they lack retail presence. But these days, I wonder if retail presence matters much, but it definitely doesn't hurt to allow people to see your products in person. Especially when Pentax build is almost always better than Nikon and canon for the same price point.

I will reiterate, I love my Pentax gear. I've been more loyal than most folks. And while I've almost switched systems a few times (briefly shooting both Pentax and Nikon) and almost going to Olympus about 8 years ago and Fuji very recently, each time I evaluated Pentax vs the competition for me overall needs, Pentax either won or a switch wasn't worth the cost. But I'm also realistic about things. And perhaps that looks like I'm mocking the company or calling it second or third rate. Believe me, I don't feel that way.

04-14-2016, 07:40 PM   #201

QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
Here is a different example. Anyone remember the HP TouchPad? Well if not, it was HPs first tablet with its newly acquired WEBOS. HP couldn't out buy Apple for the parts it wanted, but it did ok on the spec sheet. Anyway, HP execs felt that all they had to do was match or slightly undercut the iPad for a winner. Well, a few weeks into TouchPad sales, HP pulled the plug on mobile hardware and WebOS, I guess matching the market leader isn't going to get it done.
I had my touch pad for dirt cheap (100$) and it really was a good product. Mine now runs android 4 and people are still making mods for it, It show its age now but after almost 5 years what tablet doesn't
04-14-2016, 08:15 PM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MattCard Quote
I had my touch pad for dirt cheap (100$) and it really was a good product. Mine now runs android 4 and people are still making mods for it, It show its age now but after almost 5 years what tablet doesn't
Yeah, it was a decent tablet despite them not spec'ing it as high as planned.

I loved webOS and actually Matias Duarte ended up at android. A lot of the UX refinements in Android are partly him being picked up.

I do miss the webOS UX and community though. It sucks HP had no idea how to move it along. At least Microsoft has stuck with Windows phone.

04-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #203
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Its the DA 12-24, not a 18-55.
Your right. I changed it for the forum screen shot. All those wide angles made more sense to me posting it here - a minute before I attached the 18-55 to see the size
04-15-2016, 06:43 AM   #204
Veteran Member

New Video:
04-15-2016, 11:43 PM   #205
Veteran Member

Full res samples are up on Flickr from Irix

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irixlens

Although shot on a Canon 5DmkIII, and shot poorly too I think.
04-15-2016, 11:49 PM   #206
Pentaxian

Flare resistance seems quite Ok, bokeh quite decent.
04-16-2016, 12:39 AM   #207
Veteran Member

Yes, all measurable features other than resolution seem to be quite acceptable, if not good, especially handling the bright lights and windows etc.

Performance remains to be seen on a 36mp sensor, tripod shot with proper technique and processing.

I want this lens to be a gem. Saves me getting the 15-30.
04-16-2016, 03:19 AM   #208
Veteran Member

Real world SAMPLES!!!

Finally!!! Thanks for sharing good Sir!
These Shots look on the first glance really good! I will check in later, wenn I have more time.
But it seems that the Irix will be a gem

(yes, the outdoor shots could be composed better for advertising )
04-16-2016, 04:10 AM   #209
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Full res samples are up on Flickr from Irix

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irixlens

Although shot on a Canon 5DmkIII, and shot poorly too I think.
Not bad.
04-16-2016, 04:25 AM   #210
Veteran Member

To be honest on theses shoots I see the benefit of wider apperture vs my DA15, but I don't see "wow" quality for landscapes. I am not sure anybody would see the difference vs a K3 + sigma 8-16... No heavier, no bigger. The point seems to me really about the apperture and low light capabilities.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 04-16-2016 at 04:30 AM.