Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #211
Veteran Member

For full frame users this lens looks good. However, none of the shots taken couldn't be taken with the DA 15MM with a few exceptions. I say this because looking at the exif, lots of 5.6-11 shots, and beyond that, lots of tripod only shutter speeds in the church.

So, for those of you with DA15 or DA14, I see no real advantage.

However, if sealing is important, my pet peeve of the 15mm is it isn't sealed and the 14mm also isn't. Since pentax doesn't make a DA sealed UWA lens, those shooting in inclement weather frequently and needing a UWA might consider this.

Personally, I'd love to see a DA Limited 15mm WR or better (since I do prefer zooms in nasty weather) re-releasing the 12-24mm with HD coating and WR.

04-19-2016, 12:01 PM   #212
Pentaxian

But do you figure DA15 or DA14 will never give you the same perspective than this 15mm on FF ?!
04-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
But do you figure DA15 or DA14 will never give you the same perspective than this 15mm on FF ?!
Obviously no. However, the Samyang 10mm (an excellent lens in itself as the review on this site and elsewhere illustrates) and the Sigma 10-20 (another very good lens that I owned and enjoyed) will.

I currently have no immediate plans to upgrade to the K-1...its not out of the question, I just don't need it or need a second system. If anything, I'd probably opt for the 645D if I upgraded. You can currently buy a used 645D for a little more than the K-1 and I already have 645 lenses from my 645N. So the cost might actually be less for me to go that route.

04-19-2016, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
So, for those of you with DA15 or DA14, I see no real advantage.
Well, it's 1.5 stops faster than the DA 15 which makes it more suitable for astro-work. And it's weather-sealed. Enough of an advantage for many. Obviously the DA 15 scores with AF and a much smaller size and weight. But it's a FF lens, after all.

04-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Yes, but that only valid on FF and not everybody care of FF.

Even in that case it still compete with
- Samyang 14mm that half of its price and manage to be lighter and globaly is also very nice. Only issue being the complex distorsion.
- Pentax 15-30 that is both AF and a zoom with comparable apperture but significantly more expensive
- Sigma 12-24 that is AF and a zoom, same price but slower.

This new lens is not a game changer, it has nothing special and is not especially cheap or significantly better than the competition.
04-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Well, it's 1.5 stops faster than the DA 15 which makes it more suitable for astro-work. And it's weather-sealed. Enough of an advantage for many. Obviously the DA 15 scores with AF and a much smaller size and weight. But it's a FF lens, after all.
Right, I wasn't arguing it didn't have any advantages. Just that it doesn't seem like a lens that offers a lot more when you consider size after looking at the sample shots.

In fact, they probably should have shown some astro shots and other uses of the wider aperture.

I do like the idea that there is now a sealed UWA in Pentax mount. For me though, I'd probably opt for the Samyang 10mm. In fact, that is probably my next purchase because it will still be useful on DA and FA cameras since my current widest DA is 15mm and unless I replace my 10-20mm the next widest option I'm considering is 12-24 or even the DFA 15-30 if the price gets under $1000

04-19-2016, 12:35 PM   #217
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right, I wasn't arguing it didn't have any advantages. Just that it doesn't seem like a lens that offers a lot more when you consider size after looking at the sample shots.
Not being argumentative just pointing out that the edges of this at Full frame look very good and those considering this for APS-c will need to wait to see if they only get better.....where as edge sharpness is the achilles heel of the DA15(spoken from someone who had it for a few years) so across the frame sharpness will most likely be another advantage over DA15.

04-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #218
Veteran Member

Very true. I'm personally a fan of less overall sharpness but better edge... Basically more even sharpness. I know others actually prefer the sharp center and softer edges.

So that alway has bothered me on the DA 15, however, by f/8 the edges aren't soft, they just never catch up to the center. Combined with almost no flare and limited distortion, plus great contrast, the lens is definitely a winner.

This Irix looks very good and definitely an alternative to the larger 14mm DA.

04-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #219
Veteran Member

Very true. I'm personally a fan of less overall sharpness but better edge... Basically more even sharpness. I know others actually prefer the sharp center and softer edges.

So that alway has bothered me on the DA 15, however, by f/8 the edges aren't soft, they just never catch up to the center. Combined with almost no flare and limited distortion, plus great contrast, the lens is definitely a winner.

The DA15 can definitely have weak borders or more field curvature. if you focus on the border, they are VERY sharp.

That Irix on the real world example is quite good on borders, still far from the center levels, a bit soft on corners from what I have seen. Yes if my DA15 was always like that I would be happy, in practice it depend on the picture but it can surelly perform as well, not all the time.

I still fail to see the key difference with the Samyang 14mm...
04-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed though I'm looking at it for full frame. A few weeks ago. I sent them a question about pricing and launch dates. They didn't have any info to share at that time. After looking at the images, I'm ready to plunk down some money.
04-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #221
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
The DA15 can definitely have weak borders or more field curvature. if you focus on the border, they are VERY sharp.

That Irix on the real world example is quite good on borders, still far from the center levels, a bit soft on corners from what I have seen. Yes if my DA15 was always like that I would be happy, in practice it depend on the picture but it can surelly perform as well, not all the time.

I still fail to see the key difference with the Samyang 14mm...
I have Sammy, and I just couple days a go shot a scene with lots of straight lines and inside...it was nice work to try to get them look more 'natural' if there is not such demanding, then besides possibility to use filters quite easily and weather sealing, there is no reason to go irix...but if it has less distortion, then I might. I cannot afford 15-30 right away. And maybe flare resistance is little better too that SY. I'll wait and see.
04-22-2016, 05:25 AM   #222
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Damned my LBA is going to be worse....
05-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #223
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just saw that on their FB page (issue yesterday):

https://www.facebook.com/Irixlens/?fref=ts

QuoteQuote:
Due to many questions about when the lens will be available, we need to inform you that the previously announced springtime release date can be difficult to meet. We are aiming for the summertime period.
Meanwhile, we want to assure you that we are working hard on introducing the final version of the lens onto the market. At the moment, the pre-production evaluation tests are in their final stages and the results look very promising. As you know, Irix is a completely new project, not related to any of the existing companies. It means that we do not rely on the resources from big companies, nor on their production lines.
We want to deliver the best quality product that will match your expectations and our highest standards. Of course, it is also in our own interest to hand the Irix 15mm out to you as soon as possible. Beginning the sales process means more founds for the development of new Irix products.
Stay tuned to the Irix fan page for new information.

Seems we will need to be patient!

05-14-2016, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #224
Pentaxian

reminder: there is a wa prime and uwa prime AND and fish-eye zoom on the roadmap http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_D_FA_Lens_Roadmap.pdf
05-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #225
Veteran Member

I wish the IRIX guys all the best and hope they will become a kinda Samyang competitor, that would be interesting.
Love their designs btw.
Great to hear, they drop a headsup and are still hard at work