Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2016, 08:43 PM   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Would love to see comparisons with laowa 15 4 macro. Macro seems pretty unique, but I think f4 is a bit too slow for astro, which would push me to get another lens just for that..

09-19-2016, 04:04 AM   #302
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Would love to see comparisons with laowa 15 4 macro. Macro seems pretty unique, but I think f4 is a bit too slow for astro, which would push me to get another lens just for that..
I think the Laowa macro is not very good wide open, and tends to improve IQ by small increments down to f16.
09-21-2016, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #303
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They just posted on Facebook the following a couple hours ago:

QuoteQuote:
Irix Lens
3 h ·
We have a good news for Pentax users who plan to visit our stand at Photokina fairs. We received today our first lenses with Pentax mount that are ready for try during the show:-)

09-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #304

Photos: Gallery
Also, in one of the comment threads on their Facebook page, Irix indicated the K version of the 15mm would be released in about 2 weeks. I think they meant "in" and not "for."

09-21-2016, 05:01 PM   #305
Veteran Member

First lenses have arrived to Finland in CaNikon mounts. One user report tonight told that the lens has rather nasty issue. When using the locking ring the focus ring moves as well. Effectively rendering the whole function useless. As when you get it to infinity and want to lock it down, the focus gets messed up. Typical Samyang (manufacturer of the lens) quality so to say.
09-21-2016, 10:47 PM   #306
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
First lenses have arrived to Finland in CaNikon mounts. One user report tonight told that the lens has rather nasty issue. When using the locking ring the focus ring moves as well. Effectively rendering the whole function useless. As when you get it to infinity and want to lock it down, the focus gets messed up. Typical Samyang (manufacturer of the lens) quality so to say.
No hemmetti.
That does not sound good...on that feature. But how does it seem other than that?
09-22-2016, 02:28 AM   #307
Veteran Member

That was from a Nikon user. I planned to order K-mount version but not available yet.

But as a finnish user you can view digicamera.net lens-forum for more example images and comments.
09-22-2016, 03:30 AM   #308
Pentaxian

I didn't know the lens is made in Samyang factories. The whole thing, or just the optics? Because other Samyang lenses don't have focus lock feature, at least none of the ones I saw (K-mount primes)
But yes, the main point of focus lock is to lock it exactly where you placed it, not to move it, not even by 1mm

09-22-2016, 03:43 AM   #309
Veteran Member

It was discussed at Fred Miranda forum earlier this year. A bit of detective work pointed out to same names and trademark owners behind the brands. Irix also used the same slogan "Prepare for more" like Samyang has done before.
09-22-2016, 04:30 AM   #310
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Irix Lens:
We have a good news for Pentax users who plan to visit our stand at Photokina fairs. We received today our first lenses with Pentax mount that are ready for try during the show:-)
Irix Lens - Timeline | Facebook
09-22-2016, 05:10 AM   #311
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd still like to see some independent tests on this lens before committing to purchase.
09-22-2016, 05:20 AM   #312
Veteran Member

Lenstip has posted sample images so far. I think they will come up with a review soonish.
09-22-2016, 05:53 AM   #313
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Same, I'd wait for reviews. But, if this many negative user reviews are put there, maybe their QC is not too good, and reviewers got the good copies of the lens, while for users it's always a gamble. Who knows. But hopefully this is good, I really need an Uwa soon
09-22-2016, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #314
Pentaxian

A bit of detective work pointed out to same names and trademark owners behind the brands.
Can you point us to proper evidence, please?

I think there is reason to be cautious with allegations because Irix have repeatedly said that they are not Samyang in different clothing. Anyone stating that "Irix = Samyang" is calling both Lukas Frank and Hubert Adamczyk (Board of directors of Irix) liars. That is serious, AFAIC.

Now Hubert Adamczyk has the exclusive distribution rights for Samyang in Poland. That is not proof for "Irix = Samyang", though. Since when can you not be wearing two hats in an industry?

I readily believe that the "Swiss" origin of Irix is 100% fabricated and only due to taxation benefits and creating an allusion of quality. However, again just because they are probably not genuinely Swiss does not prove they they are Samyang in different clothing.

Irix also used the same slogan "Prepare for more" like Samyang has done before.
The coincidental use of such a generic phrase can hardly count as evidence.

Also, if they really were Samyang but wanted to hide it by using a new company name and repeatedly rejecting the notion that they are Samyang, wouldn't they be clever enough to not reuse a slogan?

I'm not saying I know who Irix are, but I think unless there is more evidence than I have been able to find, it would be entirely unfounded to insinuate that "Irix = Samyang".

BTW, there is nothing wrong with the quality of my Samyang 85/1.4. OK, the lens hood is a disgrace but the lens itself is excellent, optically, mechanically and haptically. It is a steal, given its bargain price. Perhaps there are other Samyang lenses that deserve your derogatory qualification, but from my limited experience with Samyang lenses, they are not to be sniffed at. Not at all.
09-22-2016, 06:18 AM   #315
Pentaxian

That was from a Nikon user. I planned to order K-mount version but not available yet.

But as a finnish user you can view digicamera.net lens-forum for more example images and comments.

Yes, I checked it out. Well it remains still to be seen what it'll be. That focus lock thing can have workaround it...flare, coma and stuff like that won't. It'll take few weeks until real user samples will pop out.