Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2016, 03:13 AM   #406
Veteran Member

Well indeed. I would test the premium samyang out. MTF readings show that it is the best UWA ever made.

10-16-2016, 03:36 AM   #407
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I have just purchased a used (mint condition) Tokina 17mm f3.5 RMC here in Melbourne for $200.
It is sharp enough and gives me a way into UWA photography. I want to developed my interior photography skills. As a bonus, the 67mm thread allows for cheaper filters.
I have this lens from the film days. Did not use it too much with crop bodies. After the arrival of the K-1 it is back in active use.
The lens is not bad at all!
Wide open contrast is a bit weak. Stopped down, even a little, it works fine.
10-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #408
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I ordered a 15-30mm to go with my K1, but sent it back the day after it arrived. All the tests and testimonials indicate it is an exceptionally good WA zoom, but it is SOOOOOOO big and heavy for the focal lengths it covers, I could not see myself carrying it. I located a Sigma 12-24mm in K-mount new, apparently a leftover, at half the price. It's smaller, lighter, and significantly wider, although I doubt the resolution, distortion, vignetting, etc. are comparable, but I will take it and use it. More recently I popped for a 20mm SMCA in excellent condition. Without a hood it's not much bigger than a 50mm f1.4, but the hood is huge (don't have the Pentax hood so I'll be using a rubber one = cheap, reliable, never gets bright dings around the outer edge).
I so much understand. Tried it at a Photo show and that was also my first impression. I went for a second hand Tamron 17-35 f/2.8/4 and so far I am very happy with the compromise. It is light, relatively sharp from f/4 and smaller apertures and can hold a 100mm filter holder. Does the job for me
10-31-2016, 07:58 PM   #409
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anyone here have ordered this new lens ? (Just curious)

10-31-2016, 09:59 PM   #410
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd love a confirmation that firefly is not as weather sealed as Blackstone, apparently front element on firefly is not weather sealed, but maybe it'll be able to resist some rain? It'd be a bummer if it doesn't and kind of defeats the purpose of sealing other parts of the lens..
11-01-2016, 04:29 AM   #411
Site Supporter

It takes them forever to deliver the K-mount version........( I am talking about where this thread was about )
11-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #412
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Anyone here have ordered this new lens ? (Just curious)
I would if it were available...

---------- Post added 11-01-16 at 03:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I'd love a confirmation that firefly is not as weather sealed as Blackstone, apparently front element on firefly is not weather sealed, but maybe it'll be able to resist some rain? It'd be a bummer if it doesn't and kind of defeats the purpose of sealing other parts of the lens..
The front element is indeed not weather sealed. Firelfly is to WR what Blackstone is to AW
11-03-2016, 04:14 AM   #413
Forum Member

Do you think a front UV filter would help reduce the ingress of water on the firefly?
Just a thought.

11-03-2016, 04:45 AM   #414
Pentaxian

A lens that is partly weather sealed is not weather sealed. The fact that the front element of the firefly does not have sealing probably just means that it does not need sealing because of the plastic construction as opposed to the metal construction of the blackstone. It is just poor communication by Irix about this.
11-03-2016, 04:50 AM   #415
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
A lens that is partly weather sealed is not weather sealed. The fact that the front element of the firefly does not have sealing probably just means that it does not need sealing because of the plastic construction as opposed to the metal construction of the blackstone. It is just poor communication by Irix about this.
Not really, it really means the front element is not sealed, and it should be sealed to be truly weather resistant.
I was at Photokina and i asked them exactly about the difference in weather sealing comparing the Blackstone and the Firefly. (I asked him which version he would choose, if he wants to use the lens in light rain for example)
The Techguy (The Big one with the beard, very friendly) said he would recommend the Blackstone for serious action in the rain. Also he seemed to be unsure where to draw the line, how much "bad weather" the Firefly can take..

If the Firefly is as weather sealed as the Blackstone is, they would not make a difference at that point.
11-03-2016, 04:57 AM   #416
Pentaxian

It is being sold as dust and splash resistant. So the front element also has to be dust and splash resistant. It's like you patch a leak in a tire and declare it fixed, but you fail to patch the second leak. The leak is patched, the tire isn't because it still leaks form another leak.
11-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #417
Pentaxian

It is being sold as dust and splash resistant. So the front element also has to be dust and splash resistant. It's like you patch a leak in a tire and declare it fixed, but you fail to patch the second leak. The leak is patched, the tire isn't because it still leaks form another leak.
I think this is related to the neutrino coating (both FireFly and Blackstone version has), not weather sealing ...
11-03-2016, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #418
Pentaxian

their is no such thing as neutrino coating.
11-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #419
Veteran Member

It's kind of disappointing that it isn't actually weather sealed (firefly option). I'm leaning towards SY 14 2.8, I guess a little loss of resolution after distortion correction with adobe profiles wouldn't be a big deal, and sharpness wise it's on par anyway.
11-03-2016, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #420
Loyal Site Supporter

their is no such thing as neutrino coating.
I think we're all grownup enough to realise that's just marketing and neutrinos aren't involved.

Um, that's right, everybody? (Gulp).