Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well, LG once marketed their products as Goldstar, at least in Europe.

03-20-2016, 08:47 AM   #62

I think I'll wait for the special edition made from unobtainium.
03-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zen4Life Quote
Good point. Let me rephrase the question then. Is it possible this lens would outperform the 15 Limited on say a K-3 II?
We haven’t seen the tests yet, so yes, its possible. But it will also be a lot bigger, heavier and probably more expensive. I don't expect to see this lens on many Pentax APS-C cameras though. I expect it to be mainly FF users that choose a lens like this over the DA15.
03-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #64

Good point. Let me rephrase the question then. Is it possible this lens would outperform the 15 Limited on say a K-3 II?
Astrophotography? Probably. It has the speed, but maybe neutrinos don't control coma well.
Corner sharpness? Probably.
Flare control? No.
Weight and bulkiness? Most certainly, but that's not a good thing...

03-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #65
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
who knows? it's not interesting because it's FF lens - real 15 mm, not 21.5 at K-3. and to use such lens at K-3 is useless IMO
03-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #66
Veteran Member

This lens HAS TO outperform the DA15 on sharpness like anyway a good copy of sigma 8-16 does and I think a Samyang 16mm too.

Does the lens barely approach the flare resistance, constrast and rendering of DA15? Seems quite unlikely with all that glass. Does the lens can be take as a small UWA in the bag in case of because it is so small? I don't think so neither.

Very different lenses and design, very different characteristics. I'll not exchange my DA15 for this, even if you paid me due to size/weight alone.

I can get that in a very small package with my DA15:

So for me even if you would pay me I would not want a huge lens to get better corner sharpness on difficult shots in exchange for reduced flare resistance... But everybody has different need. i don't need FF, I don't need f/2.4... I need small This is good to have choice.
03-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I want this lens. 2.4 for inside wide shots is tempting. If it's a sharp performer, I'll be all over it.

03-20-2016, 10:14 AM   #68
Veteran Member

You think it's more pricey than the limited? This is hard to believe since the limited is 700€ and AF. All the samyang Glas is under 700 with manual focus as the irix. My price tag guess (and wish) would be 4-500€
03-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
You think it's more pricey than the limited? This is hard to believe since the limited is 700€ and AF. All the samyang Glas is under 700 with manual focus as the irix. My price tag guess (and wish) would be 4-500€
Maybe, but the zeiss lenses also MF are beyond 1000usd, whatever price they put for this lens, with time we all see if the value is right... I want a UWA, the Samyang is a contender, maybe if this Irix is priced at good value for his performance i could buy one instead
03-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Hehe Zeiss has a name and stood the test of time. Before yesterday I never heard of irix
But you made my point. They need to price it in an interesting value to contend with samyang...
03-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
Hehe Zeiss has a name and stood the test of time. Before yesterday I never heard of irix
But you made my point. They need to price it in an interesting value to contend with samyang...
Neither do i, but we dont know if in 20years from now [or much less is quality matter] Irix can have the reputation of the Zeiss name. The lens is interesting, it came in PK mount, we dont know if it gonna have the "A" setting, and maybe in the future they develop new lenses for Pentax, i hope the lens and the price are kind to my pocket and maybe i purchase one, but again, only time will tell
03-20-2016, 11:30 AM - 3 Likes   #72
Veteran Member

I came into this thread excited by the fact that a manufacturer deigned Pentax worthy of creating a new full frame lens in K-mount--surely a positive sign for our brand's future. Why people would rather snicker about a nonsense marketing term (a crime committed by ALL manufacturers) instead of recognizing this strategic decision is beyond me.
03-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens has a lot of potential, and also some nice features like the focus lock, and the infinity click (which may indicate that it actually focuses at infinity when it clicks), the filter window - and just having filter threads on such a wide lens. It does appear that a reasonable amount of thought that has gone into its design - certainly a lot of exotic glass and coatings. Will it all pay off? If it delivers in its handling and on the images, it could be worthwhile. Time will tell - and who is going to be the first volunteer to test it on their brand spanking new K1?

03-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #74
npc
Veteran Member

I like the focus lock feature
03-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
If the price is right I could be interested in this lens. Paired with the K-1 it would possibly make for an awesome landscape kit.
From the looks of it and given the fact that a 95mm polarizer alone costs you $150-200 my guess is that this lens will be in the $1,200+ range, if not beyond $1,500..