Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2016, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Irix 15mm f/2,4 for full frame K-mount

Press release: Meet the Irix15 mm f/2.4

Company home page: Irix

Looks promising. Said to be very light weight for its class. No pricing information yet.

03-19-2016, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

- 35mm lens
- field of view: 110° (diagonal)
- minimum focusing distance: 28cm
- 95mm front filter thread
- filter window - simple access to the rotatable filter [we Pentaxians know that]
- neutrino coating - minimum colour aberration, ghosting and flare effects
- manual focus with focus lock ring
- depth of field and hyperfocal scale - infinity click makes it easier to find the right value without checking
- 15 elements (of which 3 High Refractive elements, 2 Extra-low Dispersion elements and 2 aspherical elements) in 11 groups
- inner seals - protected against accidental water splashes
- rear gelatin filter slot - more possibilities of image creation
- focus calibration - possibility to adjust focusing scale for a particular model of camera
- aperture: 9 rounded blades
- aperture ring
- electronic contacts (aperture control via camera)
- available mounts: Canon EF, Nikon F, Pentax K
- dimensions: 114mm x 100mm

Two models:

1. Irix Blackstone

- durable Al-Mg body
- engraved fluorescent markings
- 653g (Nikon) to 685g (Canon)

QuoteQuote:
Classic design meets maximum functionality, achieving the perfect match of innovative technology. The durable aluminium and magnesium body ensures foolproof protection of your lens, even in extreme conditions. Engraved fluorescent markings enable easy operation in all lighting conditions to facilitate the perfect photo.
2. Irix Firefly

- ultra lightweight construction
- ergonomic focusing ring
- 581g (Nikon) to 608g (Canon)

QuoteQuote:
The same optical performance and high quality mechanism as the Blackstone, but implemented in a lightweight and handy design. Whether you sail, hike, drive or fly, the Irix Firefly 15mm f/2.4 will make your journey extraordinary.

The ergonomic focusing ring offers the freedom to capture the most ideal moment, whether it is big city architecture or wildlife scenery.
03-19-2016, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #3

Look promising; I wonder what it'll cost.

The website mentions electrical contacts, presumably this is KA-mount.
QuoteQuote:
special neutrino coating
This is possibly the most egregious technobabble nonsense I've ever seen in a photo industry press release.
03-19-2016, 05:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jens Lyn IV Quote
(...)

The website mentions electrical contacts, presumably this is KA-mount.

(...)
Indeed there are electrical contacts and, as I wrote above, the aperture can be set from and is controlled by the camera.

03-19-2016, 05:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look promising; I wonder what it'll cost.
Very limited information is available right now. I did find one teaser saying they are a Swiss company with some kind of Korean connection - perhaps designed/controlled by Swiss and built in Korea? The advertising makes it sound very high-class, so I'm expecting it to cost somewhat more than the Rokinon 14mm.
03-19-2016, 06:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

That front filter size is remarkably huge. This will be strictly a full-frame thing; I can't see people putting aside their DA15s for this on APS-C, from practical size considerations if nothing else.
03-19-2016, 06:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
neutrino coating? really? come on.

03-19-2016, 06:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Very limited information is available right now. I did find one teaser saying they are a Swiss company with some kind of Korean connection - perhaps designed/controlled by Swiss and built in Korea? The advertising makes it sound very high-class, so I'm expecting it to cost somewhat more than the Rokinon 14mm.
It's definitely Made in Korea, see:

http://irixlens.com/videos/keyframe-01-95mm-front-filter-thread.mp4
03-19-2016, 07:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

This is possibly the most egregious technobabble nonsense I've ever seen in a photo industry press release.
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Haha seriously! I was really interested, thought about it as a replacement for the Samyang 14mm f2.8, until I read that.Wow! This kind of silly words really make a person think twice

Still, I hope PF reviews it and compares it to that Venus 15mm macro and maybe even the Pentax UWA primes.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 03-19-2016 at 07:11 AM.
03-19-2016, 07:09 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Neutrinos are the awesome--kinda like hi-tech pixie dust! just sayin'
03-19-2016, 07:34 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

with all that ED glass (not to mention neutrino coating!) this is not going to be a cheap lens.

M
03-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Super zoom, ultra wide angle, nano coating, HD coating, hyper sonic motor and so on. This just adds to a longer series of hype words.
03-19-2016, 08:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian

OK, the neutrino coating is awesome, but do neutrino interact with photons? If not, their coating is useless
03-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Super zoom, ultra wide angle, nano coating, HD coating, hyper sonic motor and so on. This just adds to a longer series of hype words.
Yeah, but "nano coating" at least almost makes sense - its nano particles and blah blah. But neutrino? Its obvious they have no idea what a neutrino is. They probably meant "nano coatings." The problem is that neutrino is actually a name that is used for something else, something that can not in any way be related to lens coatings. Unless this lens is so special it allows cameras to capture neutrinos? Or its made of neutrinos? Or it reflects neutrinos but not other subatomic particles?
03-19-2016, 08:18 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But neutrino? Its obvious they have no idea what a neutrino is. They probably meant "nano coatings." The problem is that neutrino is actually a name that is used for something else, something that can not in any way be related to lens coatings. Unless this lens is so special it allows cameras to capture neutrinos? Or its made of neutrinos? Or it reflects neutrinos but not other subatomic particles?
Hahaha, but hey if that coating's optics are affected by weak subatomic interaction and the forces of gravity, I'm all about it. Keep that coma down too and this sounds like it would make a fabulous astrophotography lens.

Technically speaking, it's almost inevitable that these coatings have neutrinos in them. If a steakhouse offers its finest cut as a riboflavin-enhanced filet, it wouldn't be inaccurate... but it wouldn't be the selling point for, um, anybody.

It's very laughable and certainly on the roadmap toward Idiocracy. I am equally interested and suspicious.