Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 66 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2016, 07:07 AM   #346
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For architecture the "monstrous" distortion of the samyang makes it useless. A lens with less field curvature than the da 15 and less distortion than the samyang would certainly be interesting.

10-02-2016, 07:39 AM   #347
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone knows when k-mount version is available? They only have canikon on their website right now
10-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #348
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I'd say that yes those pictures looked soft, and just as stated before me, it was low JPEG sharpening. Some of stuff that looked interesting, mostly corner performance and distortion, or lack of it when comparing this to SY 14. I just did some shooting with my SY14 and it is quite good on lot of things, but taking filters and corner sharpness and distortion is not good at all. For the money samyang is great!(on FF it suffers more than APS-C)
Don't forget. Canon doesn't have in-body stabilisation, it might just be the wrong choice of aperture, hyperfocal and some hand shaking. Difficult to judge the quality of a lens from sample pictures if they are not shot by a technically sound photographer... This being said, I can see a difference between the centers and corners but this isn't obvious
10-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #349
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
For architecture the "monstrous" distortion of the samyang makes it useless. A lens with less field curvature than the da 15 and less distortion than the samyang would certainly be interesting.
Wouldn't Laowa 12mm 2.8 fit the description? Reviews point to less than 1% distortion at 12mm, which is pretty remarkable.

---------- Post added 10-02-16 at 10:46 AM ----------

hmm, just noticed that the Firefly version does not have the front element sealed. I'm wondering if the lens would be able to resist rain, the frontal opening of the lens is so large, one could assume it'd be hit pretty hard by rain in certain wind conditions.

10-02-2016, 11:28 AM   #350
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
hmm, just noticed that the Firefly version does not have the front element sealed
Where did you see that? What use is wr-resistance when you don't seal the entire lens?
10-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #351
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Where did you see that? What use is wr-resistance when you don't seal the entire lens?
The blackstone is like Pentax AW lenses. The Firefly is more WR like. For the price difference, I would go for the Blackstone to get full Weather Sealing
10-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #352
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Irix 15 mm f/2.4 in our hands - LensTip.com

There's a chart in the first third of the preview, and some text regarding front element. I'd like to see the lens tested in rain, maybe it's not as bad as it seems, I mean there must be a reason to have everything but the front element sealed..

10-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #353
Pentaxian

Well it's either weather sealed or not. Partly sealed isn't sealed at all. Maybe the front element doesn't need sealing in the plastic firefly version.
10-02-2016, 02:14 PM   #354
Pentaxian

Wouldn't Laowa 12mm 2.8 fit the description?
I guess it does! However 12mm is very wide even on crop and without shift it will show a lot of ground in the shot (I keep me verticals vertical). But you are correct thats probably the lens for me to have a look at when it's available.
10-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #355
Veteran Member

I guess it does! However 12mm is very wide even on crop and without shift it will show a lot of ground in the shot (I keep me verticals vertical). But you are correct thats probably the lens for me to have a look at when it's available.
True, I'm not really familiar with techniques for architectural photography. Wouldn't sensor shift tech help a bit with that? The re-compose feature, I know I have it on K-1, but not sure if other pentax cameras have that.
10-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #356
Pentaxian

True, I'm not really familiar with techniques for architectural photography. Wouldn't sensor shift tech help a bit with that? The re-compose feature, I know I have it on K-1, but not sure if other pentax cameras have that.
Yes sensor shift helps a fair bit. I use it a lot with my da 15 an k3ii. You just have to retract the hood a bit.
10-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #357
Veteran Member

Yes sensor shift helps a fair bit. I use it a lot with my da 15 an k3ii. You just have to retract the hood a bit.
Is it possible to combine that and a tilt-shift lens? Sounds like something like that would give a lot of flexibility for architecture
10-03-2016, 02:42 AM   #358
Pentaxian

It helps you to slightly re-frame while on a tripod. So you could also do that with a tilt-shift lens. But only on the horizontal and the vertical axis I believe. No manual tilting of the sensor.
10-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #359
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Samyang/Irix connection rumours get a bump

An extract from the article at the link: "the Facebook page of Samyang in Spain was recently changed to Irix Spain"

Is Samyang behind the Irix lens brand? | Photo Rumors

Tas
10-08-2016, 02:26 AM   #360
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
An extract from the article at the link: "the Facebook page of Samyang in Spain was recently changed to Irix Spain"

Is Samyang behind the Irix lens brand? | Photo Rumors

Tas
Some indirect links between Samyang and Irix were discussed here already, for instance:

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
http://www.moneyhouse.ch/u/th_swiss_ag_CH-170.3.039.538-5.htm

Adamczyk Grzegorz Hubert , a Polish citizen, Krakow (PL), Chairman of the Board, with individual signature;
Frank Luke , from Turbenthal, Wil SG, Member of the Board, with individual signature.

TH Swiss AG in Baar, CHE 319 054 092, c / o LAUNCH OFFICE GmbH, Rathausstrasse 14, 6340 Baar, Aktiengesellschaft (new registration).
Statutes Date: 03.02.2015.
Purpose: development, production, sales and distribution of products in the field of photography;
whole purpose paraphrase statutes in accordance.
Share capital: CHF 100,000.00.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Actually there is a link between Irix and Samyang, even if an indirect one.

Hubert Grzegorz Adamczyk, the chairman and co-founder of the Swiss company 'TH Swiss AG' that stands behind the Irix lenses, is also the founder, owner and manager of a Polish company named Delta, which is the exclusive distributor of Samyang in Poland (and, incidentally, owns the e-retailer foto-tip).
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
To me Samyang and Delta have too many common interests for Hubert Grzegorz Adamczyk to launch himself into the Irix venture without requesting the prior green light from Samyang and probably their assistance in finding the right Korean players to partner with, be they, apart from Samyang themselves, suppliers to Samyang or third parties not specifically involved with Samyang..