Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2016, 09:50 AM   #376
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Yeah, Hologon is funky concept. And that 15mm f/2 from Laowa has filter threads! And they are not like 95mm but 72mm instead!

First Impressions: Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f2 (Sony FE)

I have also used Leica WATE with Sony A7r1 and that was quite something. Miniature "zoom" with ultra high IQ across the field. Now I'm holding this 15-30/2.8 in my hands and thinking "WTF".
I ordered a 15-30mm to go with my K1, but sent it back the day after it arrived. All the tests and testimonials indicate it is an exceptionally good WA zoom, but it is SOOOOOOO big and heavy for the focal lengths it covers, I could not see myself carrying it. I located a Sigma 12-24mm in K-mount new, apparently a leftover, at half the price. It's smaller, lighter, and significantly wider, although I doubt the resolution, distortion, vignetting, etc. are comparable, but I will take it and use it. More recently I popped for a 20mm SMCA in excellent condition. Without a hood it's not much bigger than a 50mm f1.4, but the hood is huge (don't have the Pentax hood so I'll be using a rubber one = cheap, reliable, never gets bright dings around the outer edge).

10-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #377
Veteran Member

Indeed it is big. Not really an issue for me, but having operated that WATE for example I always wonder what the heck am I doing with this monster Sure, WATE is double the price of 15-30 (which itself is a LOT) but I would say the price is at least 90% justified.

The Real Deal was Zeiss 21mm f/4.5 C Biogon with Leica M9. It is about Perfect 21mm lens with zero distortion. But does not really work adapted to Sony. Horrible color casts in the corner and bad smearing of details there. Anyway, this little Biogon is shorter than my thumb and weights next to nothing. Yet it is a mechanical wonder with very smooth controls.
10-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #378
Pentaxian

I'd think that 2.8/15-30 zoom is quite a different beas to f4 glass, comparing that to leica pretty expensive brand. It is not in same leaque, especially when it is so fast. That is why samyang, irix ... are so big. I would not actually mind slower (F4) really good wideangle lens...and theremight be something like that coming from pentax. Not rebadged.. I think that I'll just keep my samyang meawhile and save some pennies..
10-12-2016, 11:03 AM   #379
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I'd think that 2.8/15-30 zoom is quite a different beas to f4 glass, comparing that to leica pretty expensive brand. It is not in same leaque, especially when it is so fast. That is why samyang, irix ... are so big. I would not actually mind slower (F4) really good wideangle lens...and theremight be something like that coming from pentax. Not rebadged.. I think that I'll just keep my samyang meawhile and save some pennies..

My piggy bank said I need to get a grip... so I tired of waiting for a K mount release of something decent I could afford and had to settle for ordering a Tokina 20-35 AF II for my K-1... at least until I get off my lazy arse and sell some stuff in the marketplace. I've heard good things about it, so am anxious to see if the bang for the buck will keep me happy or if I'll have to add it to the sell pile. Heh.

Eric

10-12-2016, 01:44 PM   #380
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
My piggy bank said I need to get a grip... so I tired of waiting for a K mount release of something decent I could afford and had to settle for ordering a Tokina 20-35 AF II for my K-1... at least until I get off my lazy arse and sell some stuff in the marketplace. I've heard good things about it, so am anxious to see if the bang for the buck will keep me happy or if I'll have to add it to the sell pile. Heh.

Eric
I have one. I'd say that it is good for the prize(dunno what it costs now). I have many keepers with it with my K-1.. I'd love to afford really good wide lens but untill then these will have to do. actually 20mm is plenty wide for FF. even 18 would be really wide.
10-12-2016, 01:57 PM   #381
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one. I'd say that it is good for the prize(dunno what it costs now). I have many keepers with it with my K-1.. I'd love to afford really good wide lens but untill then these will have to do. actually 20mm is plenty wide for FF. even 18 would be really wide.

Thanks for the reassurance Repaap... I have a Takumar 17mm fisheye, and it's pretty nice on the K-1, but by the time I de-fish it, I've probably lost some border and am probably down to 20mm FOV anyway, and the de-fish process leaves the edges less sharp. So starting out with 20mm will be fine I think, especially if it's sharp to the edges.... AND... it autofocuses. Manually focusing the 17mm FE is a crap shoot even in live view with peaking, it's really hard on close distances. It's great when you get it right, but takes a lot of work. Hoping the Tokina makes life easier.
Thanks again,
Eric
10-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #382
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with you on smaller aperture for more reasonable price and compact size. Pentax really hit a sweet spot with the 15mm f4 for APS-C. The Voigtlander 20mm f3.5 is another really compact WA, but the edge performance is not so great, they are almost impossible to find used, and the one I found new too steep (over $600). The Pentax 20mm f2.8 I just got was still pretty expensive, but it's in excellent condition, very compact, and by test and reputation has better IQ that the Voigtlander. It is a very nicely made lens.

10-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #383
Pentaxian

Horrible color casts in the corner and bad smearing of details there.
That's just one of the "few goodies impossible with DSLR bodies" of the "Mirrorless Sony system".
10-12-2016, 05:13 PM   #384
Veteran Member

Harrrr! Very wise commenting without any idea how it works when it works good.

It works nicely with Leica M9 and M240 which are mirrorless. No other 21mm lens can beat it in straight lines. Sony is a sony is a sony and works better when you swap the sensor cover glass to thinner version (Kolari Mod) albeit not perfect. Sony system however is the one getting the most interesting releases these days. DSLR side of things is okayish in CaNikon camp with modern releases coming in steadily. New Canon 16-35/2.8 V3 seems to sweep floors with just about any WA zoom and Nikon is soon getting 19mm PC-E lens.

Pentax camp is struggling on lens front still. The interesting releases were this Irix and Samyang 20mm 1.8 which seems to be mediocre at best.
10-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #385
Veteran Member

I think irix still looks like a good lens. Just would like to see how much of a liability is the non WR front element is. I'm a bit confused why would they wr the whole lens but the front element. Other than that lens looks good. The mustache distortion in sy14 is not easy to fix I heard, I had similar issues with sy10 2.8, was kind of a paint to deal with sometimes (interiors for example)
10-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #386
Pentaxian

Yeah, it works so well on Leicas that no one ever wrote a "CornerFix" software.

Problems with light rays hitting the sensor at oblique angles can be somewhat mitigated by respective microlens designs and in-camera and/or RAW processor specific compensation, but clearly it is much more of a challenge for mirrorless systems when combined with film-era wide-angles than it is for DSLRs.
10-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #387
Pentaxian

New Canon 16-35/2.8 V3 seems to sweep floors with just about any WA zoom and Nikon is soon getting 19mm PC-E lens.

Pentax camp is struggling on lens front still. The interesting releases were this Irix and Samyang 20mm 1.8 which seems to be mediocre at best.
How many floors are there to sweep.. first nikon 14-28 zoom wipes the floor, then tamron 15-30 wipes floor with that nikon lens(rebadged as pentax as you know) and now canon is the best. Even if that would e trye I don't think that differense will be that big, really. Pentax has new lenses coming 2017, not so far away, and one of those is that WA prime...made by pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I think irix still looks like a good lens. Just would like to see how much of a liability is the non WR front element is. I'm a bit confused why would they wr the whole lens but the front element. Other than that lens looks good. The mustache distortion in sy14 is not easy to fix I heard, I had similar issues with sy10 2.8, was kind of a paint to deal with sometimes (interiors for example)
Back to subject! I hate moushtash distortion on my SY/14, reason why I got interested of this Irix. I still think that it is quite a bit money and I don't have get one right a way, so that is why want to look what else comes up. Interestin peace of glass still, for it's prize range.
10-13-2016, 12:37 AM   #388
Veteran Member

The Digital Picture has comparison images for that new Canon. It is better at f/2.8 than Version 2 was at any aperture. That is quite something. I would like to see such wide angle (filter threads...) for K-1. f/4 version would be okay too.
10-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #389
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
... Samyang 20mm 1.8 which seems to be mediocre at best.
Where does your insider knowledge come from?
10-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #390
Veteran Member

One finnish user got the lens few days ago in K-mount for his K-1 and shared test screens. To me it seems to trail Nikkor 20/1.8 a bit.