Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 66 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #391
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
My piggy bank said I need to get a grip... so I tired of waiting for a K mount release of something decent I could afford and had to settle for ordering a Tokina 20-35 AF II for my K-1... at least until I get off my lazy arse and sell some stuff in the marketplace. I've heard good things about it, so am anxious to see if the bang for the buck will keep me happy or if I'll have to add it to the sell pile. Heh.

Eric
So the 20-35 covers FF? Or it has vignetting?

10-13-2016, 11:38 AM   #392
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
So the 20-35 covers FF? Or it has vignetting?

I bought the Tokina 20-35 Ver II with orange ring which was made originally for FF, and reports are that it covers great without vignette, is sharp corner to corner albeit with some mild distortion, and a little CA that can be fixed in post lens profile or is gone by F8 anyway on the 77mm front element Version II.

The older first Version 1 purports to have a smaller 72mm front element, and is said to be a couple stops shadowed at the extreme edges wide open, but is identical optic formula otherwise.

I'll be able to tell you better when mine arrives next week. (why oh why did I let it default to ground freight?! LOL!)
Eric
10-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #393
Veteran Member

The Tokina 20-35 Ver II with orange ring was made originally for FF, and reports are that it covers great without vignette, is sharp corner to corner albeit with some mild distortion, and a little CA that can be fixed in post lens profile or is gone by F8 anyway, but, that is the 77mm front element Version II, which is what I bought..,

The older first Version purports to have a smaller 72mm front element, and is said to be a couple stops shadowed at the extreme edges wide open, but is identical optic formula otherwise.

I'll be able to tell you better when mine arrives next week. (why oh why did I let it default to ground freight?! LOL!)
Eric
Just scrolled through few reviews, wow what a bargain! Too bad I cannot find one for sale anywhere. We're both 2.8 and 3.5-5.6 available for k mount? Why are they discontinued? feels like a natural fit for the k-1..
10-13-2016, 11:59 AM   #394
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Just scrolled through few reviews, wow what a bargain! Too bad I cannot find one for sale anywhere. We're both 2.8 and 3.5-5.6 available for k mount? Why are they discontinued? feels like a natural fit for the k-1..

Yes, but pretty rare in the F2.8, and the F2.8 wasn't purported to be any better really, optically that I have heard, and it was a beast, size & weight wise.

The good news is that Tokina still has a relationship with Ricoh/Pentax, and I don't see why an updated version couldn't be brought back to life some day.

And even as I typed that, I am prone to contradict myself and say "why bother, there are newer improved computer designed UWA zooms that Tokina could make in K mount just as easily".

The bottom line is, I don't they are going to make anything if they don't think they can sell a whole bunch of them for a good profit, which is why we are all following this Irix thread so closely.

Eric

10-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #395
Pentaxian

I'v got 20-35/2.8 pro. It is sharp stopped down edge to edge, but not as sharp as for example FA 43...but it is good enough for me. vingetting only untill f4 when shot @20mm.
10-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #396
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I'v got 20-35/2.8 pro. It is sharp stopped down edge to edge, but not as sharp as for example FA 43...but it is good enough for me. vingetting only untill f4 when shot @20mm.

That is pretty much the info I found and used to convince myself that the slower version was fine for me... why carry the extra weight of the 2.8 if I am going to stop it down anyway? (Lying to myself is allowed, and makes me feel better. If you ever want to trade... LOL)

When you say it's sharp enough for you, are you talking edge sharpness of close objects, or resolving power of details like leaves on trees in a distant landscape? I don't know how else to put that into words, but I find they are two very different things. Most lenses seem be sharp enough on close objects, but things get dicey resolving detail on distant ones.

Eric
10-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #397
Veteran Member

I don't really need 2.8 for landscapes and interiors, I'd be happy with a slower lens. But they seem to be unique unicorns that are just not available for sale often. I'll try to keep an eye on it though.

10-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #398
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

The good news is that Tokina still has a relationship with Ricoh/Pentax, and I don't see why an updated version couldn't be brought back to life some day.

Eric
Where does this statement comes from but from an urban legend ?
Afaict there's absolutely no reason to think so.
10-13-2016, 12:46 PM   #399
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Where does this statement comes from but from an urban legend ?
Afaict there's absolutely no reason to think so.

I thought it was common knowledge that they have worked together before... I've never heard it contradicted, it you have sources that say otherwise, I'd be interested to know.

For instance, one example:

Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 AL ED [IF] - Review / Test Report

Eric
10-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #400
Pentaxian

That is pretty much the info I found and used to convince myself that the slower version was fine for me... why carry the extra weight of the 2.8 if I am going to stop it down anyway? (Lying to myself is allowed, and makes me feel better. If you ever want to trade... LOL)

When you say it's sharp enough for you, are you talking edge sharpness of close objects, or resolving power of details like leaves on trees in a distant landscape? I don't know how else to put that into words, but I find they are two very different things. Most lenses seem be sharp enough on close objects, but things get dicey resolving detail on distant ones.

Eric
Well, trees are so far away that it is hard to see leafs, I know what you mean thou. And this is getting away from original subject. Take a look at this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/171401-tokina-x-pro-lens-club-23.html
Image quality is good enough, I'd say. And yes some details are great eaven in infinity. Depends on of lots of things... I have to admit that I think if getting that sigma 10-20 that kengih talks about time to time...but that is another thing also..back to IRIX!
10-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #401
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I thought it was common knowledge that they have worked together before... I've never heard it contradicted, it you have sources that say otherwise, I'd be interested to know.

For instance, one example:

Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 AL ED [IF] - Review / Test Report

Eric
They did. It doesn't mean there's any sort of relation since last shared DA lens and that was *a long* time ago.
10-14-2016, 11:02 AM   #402
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
They did. It doesn't mean there's any sort of relation since last shared DA lens and that was *a long* time ago.

A shared series or projects or lens patents is a relationship as far as I'm concerned, I didn't meant to imply any financial ties other than what it took to get the job done, but once you have done a few jobs for a client and shared technology with them to get the job done, it is commonly considered a "relationship". If they like your work and made a profit, they tend to keep coming back.

Man, I didn't realize I had to watch my words so closely on the forum. Sorry boss! I can't say it won't happen again, so I'll apologize in advance for my future impreciseness as well, heh heh.

Consider me thoroughly chastened.

Eric
10-14-2016, 12:07 PM   #403

I bought the Tokina 20-35 Ver II with orange ring which was made originally for FF, and reports are that it covers great without vignette, is sharp corner to corner albeit with some mild distortion, and a little CA that can be fixed in post lens profile or is gone by F8 anyway on the 77mm front element Version II.

The older first Version 1 purports to have a smaller 72mm front element, and is said to be a couple stops shadowed at the extreme edges wide open, but is identical optic formula otherwise.

Eric
Ugh! I leave for Monument Valley in a few days with my K-1 and wish I would've known about this lens! I picked up the *excellent* Pentax 28-105 specifically for this trip -- it's definitely sharp enough, and I love the rendering. Just not sure if it will be wide enough for certain tasks. Now I have another lens to obsess over when I return.

So, it sounds like for full FF coverage: look for the Tokina 20-35 with the 77mm element.
10-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #404
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have just purchased a used (mint condition) Tokina 17mm f3.5 RMC here in Melbourne for $200.
It is sharp enough and gives me a way into UWA photography. I want to developed my interior photography skills. As a bonus, the 67mm thread allows for cheaper filters.
I am still interested in the Irix but with the new Samyang 14mm f2.4 coming out and Pentax to bring out new lenses in 2017 I thought I would buy some time and make a start.
So far I am really happy with my decision.
10-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #405
Veteran Member

Samyang is rumored to be over 1k though. If it even comes to pk, which I hope it does.