Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2016, 06:24 AM   #121

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
ahh I was thinking of a 3rd party flash unit that would sit flush with the top of the camera on the shoe mount.. rather large.. perhaps the entire size of the top of the mirror box but the size of the normal popup flash. But I suppose you are right -- not sure the capacitor would fit in that.. even for a popup flash. I like the idea though
Something like the little add-on flash that was included with my Oly EPM2 - roughly 4cm x 5cm at the top, and about 2cm thick when folded. It's petite... and (I would think) useless on a K1 size camera system as it's not particularly impressive (although occasionally handy) on the tiny little m43 Oly. But hey... it's a tiny little flash! (Olympus FL-LM1 Flash V326120SW000 B&H Photo Video if you're curious)

04-07-2016, 06:51 AM   #122
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jyndi Quote
Something like the little add-on flash that was included with my Oly EPM2 - roughly 4cm x 5cm at the top, and about 2cm thick when folded. It's petite... and (I would think) useless on a K1 size camera system as it's not particularly impressive (although occasionally handy) on the tiny little m43 Oly. But hey... it's a tiny little flash! (Olympus FL-LM1 Flash V326120SW000 B&H Photo Video if you're curious)
Yes, it is tiny and popup.. proprietary connector though. Otherwise close to what I had in mind. Close to useless yes but I find the popup flash on the K-5/K-3 are just that. Something like this might appease those that find more value in the popup but don't have one on their K-3II or K-1 if it had a hotshoe connector.
04-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #123

Ah, but how many would buy a Pentax (or generic) version at a price that results in worthwhile profit? If it was doable, I would have thought there would be some generic 3rd party version, but there isn't so either its uneconomic or that flash style just doesn't suffice for large camera/lens formats.
04-07-2016, 03:49 PM   #124
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Okay, gents, let's all step back from the ledge and resume acting like adults. However, there will be a punishment levied: you will each have to ship me your best lens....

04-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #125
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jyndi Quote
Ah, but how many would buy a Pentax (or generic) version at a price that results in worthwhile profit? If it was doable, I would have thought there would be some generic 3rd party version, but there isn't so either its uneconomic or that flash style just doesn't suffice for large camera/lens formats.
Exactly. Most people just use a 'normal' sized flash and call it a day. But, for those upset over the loss of their beloved popup miniflash, it seems like it would be an interesting solution.
04-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Exactly. Most people just use a 'normal' sized flash and call it a day. But, for those upset over the loss of their beloved popup miniflash, it seems like it would be an interesting solution.
The big advantage of the pop up flash is it's "free" with the camera. So my guess is not many built in flash aficionados will pay 5 cents for it. This is a case of what has been added is useless to them. Although if next week they find a use for it you can be sure they are not coming back here and saying "sorry guys, that thing about GPS and wifi being useless, well, that didn't turn out to be accurate. " are they?

Anyone who has a K-3 II and really wants flash, I'll trade you for my K-3. A bonafide "the flash always pops up at the most inconvenient times" camera.
04-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #127
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A bonafide "the flash always pops up at the most inconvenient times" camera.
At least it's not like silly Canikons in which the flash automatically pops up if it thinks you need it unless you are in Manual mode...
04-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
At least it's not like silly Canikons in which the flash automatically pops up if it thinks you need it unless you are in Manual mode...
I swear mine has a mind of it's own.

04-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #129
Pentaxian

I swear mine has a mind of it's own.
Norm, it's just you hitting the button...
04-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #130
Pentaxian

Norm, it's just you hitting the button...
No really, if it's sitting on the table, it jumps up all by itself. I'm going to program my K-01 to take a video so I can show you. The K-01 is immune because it has no built in flash. Pentax knew what they were doing, even if no one else did. That's really why the K-1 has no built in flash. The army of Pentax flash elves could not be defeated.
04-07-2016, 04:28 PM   #131
Pentaxian

No really, if it's sitting on the table, it jumps up all by itself. I'm going to program my K-01 to take a video so I can show you. The K-01 is immune because it has no built in flash. Pentax knew what they were doing, even if no one else did. That's really why the K-1 has no built in flash. The army of Pentax flash elves could not be defeated.

The force is strong with you Norm.
You are pressing the button accidently with the force...
04-07-2016, 04:33 PM   #132
Pentaxian

The force is strong with you Norm.
You are pressing the button accidently with the force...
I know you want to believe that berrtwert, but the Pentax flash elves are real.

I know it's terrifying, especially since you have to worry about what they are up to when your camera is turned off, but denial is more than just a river in Africa.
04-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #133
Loyal Site Supporter

No really, if it's sitting on the table, it jumps up all by itself.
As poltergeists go, that one seems pretty harmless.
04-07-2016, 05:00 PM   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
As poltergeists go, that one seems pretty harmless.
It's elves..... the ones that make the pixie dust.
04-07-2016, 06:23 PM   #135
Site Supporter

I would be interested to have a link to The Camera Store K-1 "day" event !
Is there one out yet?
Thanks .

JP