Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2016, 01:10 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I don't think they're super hot on Pentax/Ricoh, but I've personally met a Ricoh rep that was spending the day there recently. And they do stock a decent selection of lenses. But most salesmen don't seem to know much about the brand.

On an unrelated note, most Montreal (and other Canadian) camera stores have been running a "Nikon Full Frame Sales Event" over the last month (see the Nikon Canada page about the sale). Hard not to think that the timing is related to the K-1 launch...
Nikon and/or Canon probably pay the salespersons more than Pentax so they'll naturally try to steer buyers regardless of what the store is promoting.

03-27-2016, 01:20 PM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Nikon and/or Canon probably pay the salespersons more than Pentax so they'll naturally try to steer buyers regardless of what the store is promoting.
Do you think any Nikon or Caon people will switch to the K 1? That would just send the company in a tail spin and the rumors would be endless lest us hope.
03-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neil1 Quote
Do you think any Nikon or Caon people will switch to the K 1? That would just send the company in a tail spin and the rumors would be endless lest us hope.
I think it will take production cameras in the hands of the general public to do that. Your average Canikon shooter outside of pro land isn't necessarily going to relate to hand-picked beta-testers like kenspo, but once people they know start showing up with K-1's that handle and shoot as well as their FF SoCaNikons, for upwards of $1000 cheaper out the door, the worm will turn and the word will spread.

Even so, what you will be getting in the way of defectors are those crop shooters who are looking to move up to FF but don't yet have a huge amount invested in glass and have a lot less to lose by shedding their current glass at a loss.
03-27-2016, 02:40 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cedric Quote
I will definitely be there,bright and early.
I almost tried to flick that little bug off my iPad.... Why am I admitting it?

03-27-2016, 06:31 PM   #35

Interesting. Another member posted here that Lozeau in Montreal hasn't a clue about Pentax, has no Rep coverage and has no K-1 pre-orders. Clearly the salesman was ill-informed.
I went to Lozeau last week and they do have pre-orders, supposedly coming in end april, the guy told me it may be tough to get one early without a pre order
03-27-2016, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Lozeau on their site say arrival in april. Could go next wwek at the Outdoor show to see K-1
03-27-2016, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Their salesman actually prevented me jumping ships 2 years ago and got me to invest in quality glass...

His opinion being a Canon shooter was that the Pentax was more appropriate for outdoor activities..

03-28-2016, 03:22 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Their salesman actually prevented me jumping ships 2 years ago and got me to invest in quality glass...

His opinion being a Canon shooter was that the Pentax was more appropriate for outdoor activities..
Then there is some dissonance between the two posts, which was my original point.
03-28-2016, 03:40 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Lozeau on their site say arrival in april.
The win-a-K1 competition on Ricoh's Facebook site closes on 19th April. I would suspect this of being a clue.
03-28-2016, 08:41 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MattCard Quote
I went to Lozeau last week and they do have pre-orders, supposedly coming in end april, the guy told me it may be tough to get one early without a pre order
Well, the person I spoke with seemed rather honest and was not being ill informed as some here have suggested. He aknowledge the event with the k1 at the outdoor salon, but still said the support from Ricoh/Pentax was the biggest reason the store was not so keen on Pentax products.
I then asked about the preorders and he wasn't sure, so he looked it up on the computer, and then proceeded to show me the screen. 12 on order from the store, none had been reserved. That was last Saturday. It seems we are having conflictual information from the same store haha! Anyway, it doesn't matter much - lets just hope the k1 makes good figure at the salon.
03-28-2016, 08:45 AM   #41
Pentaxian

12 on order, awesome.
03-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
12 on order from the store, none had been reserved.
I read that as the store ordered 12, but none are yet sold? So no pre-orders at all? Maybe I misunderstood.
03-28-2016, 09:42 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Ah, well then... call me when they are sold.
I'll save my happiness for then.

Does that mean they'll have a demo out on the floor? How far is Montreal from my place?

Last edited by normhead; 03-28-2016 at 09:51 AM.
03-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Ah, well then... call me when they are sold.
I'll save my happiness for then.

Does that mean they'll have a demo out on the floor? How far is Montreal from my place?
Pretty sure they are gonna have one in display as soon as it's available for that !
03-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Yeah, it's 12 on order, none sold haha. The representative actually said something like : my boss seems to really believe in the k1 since we have 12 on order (with a hint a disbelief, but no negativity per say.)
They will definitely have one on demo. They have all the current models (or just about - I saw a k50, k3, k3ii, ks2 and possibly a q something) on demo as well as a few lenses (da* 60-250mm, fa 50mm 1.4, da 50 and 35mm plastic fantastic and possibly the 18-135mm, not sure).
If you make a trip to Montreal Norm, I can probably offer you a bed to sleep on if need be :P . You sound mean at times, but I figure if it's just that, it ain't so bad.

Edit : I also can hardly believe they had 12 on order without a single preorder, so it might have been a mistake. The 12 on order was definitely right, cause I saw it on the screen, but it could be a deal they have with Ricoh for the k1 event they are planning - maybe Ricoh asked them to bring a dozen to the event and said they'd take what's left home with them... No idea.