Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
Yeah, it's 12 on order, none sold haha. The representative actually said something like : my boss seems to really believe in the k1 since we have 12 on order (with a hint a disbelief, but no negativity per say.)
They will definitely have one on demo. They have all the current models (or just about - I saw a k50, k3, k3ii, ks2 and possibly a q something) on demo as well as a few lenses (da* 60-250mm, fa 50mm 1.4, da 50 and 35mm plastic fantastic and possibly the 18-135mm, not sure).
If you make a trip to Montreal Norm, I can probably offer you a bed to sleep on if need be :P . You sound mean at times, but I figure if it's just that, it ain't so bad.

Edit : I also can hardly believe they had 12 on order without a single preorder, so it might have been a mistake. The 12 on order was definitely right, cause I saw it on the screen, but it could be a deal they have with Ricoh for the k1 event they are planning - maybe Ricoh asked them to bring a dozen to the event and said they'd take what's left home with them... No idea.
Norm's not mean, he's just an experienced teacher and seen human behavior over and over and over and over………………….mine were middle schoolers over and over and over and over………………...

03-28-2016, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

maybe Ricoh asked them to bring a dozen to the event
Quite often these type of events require a minimum stocking level. I've no experience in the retail camera business but in other retail businesses that is how it worked. If you wanted the manufacturer rep to show up and do a 'demo' day or event you had to commit to a minimum purchase. Sometimes left overs were taken back, sometimes not.
03-28-2016, 11:35 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I still can't find an event in Toronto.... I haven't even heard of plans to stock them anywhere.
Another flyer came in my inbox from Henry's, still no mention.

Last edited by normhead; 03-29-2016 at 07:04 AM.
03-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I still can't find an event in Toronto.... I haven't even heard of plans to stock them anywhere.
Go see my post in FF forum

03-28-2016, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #50

Photos: Gallery
Well, the person I spoke with seemed rather honest and was not being ill informed as some here have suggested. He aknowledge the event with the k1 at the outdoor salon, but still said the support from Ricoh/Pentax was the biggest reason the store was not so keen on Pentax products.
I then asked about the preorders and he wasn't sure, so he looked it up on the computer, and then proceeded to show me the screen. 12 on order from the store, none had been reserved. That was last Saturday. It seems we are having conflictual information from the same store haha! Anyway, it doesn't matter much - lets just hope the k1 makes good figure at the salon.
Two unrelated thoughts:

1. Years ago, the Pentax counter/cabinet was the first one you saw when you walked in the front door. Then for some reason (Hoya?) it moved a bit to be less prominent. I haven't been in the physical store in over a year now.

2. One of those 12 (#1?) is mine. I think my preorder was after business hours on Saturday. I have no idea when it arrives - but you can be sure I'll be posting a boatload of lens test images.
03-29-2016, 06:53 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
Two unrelated thoughts:

1. Years ago, the Pentax counter/cabinet was the first one you saw when you walked in the front door. Then for some reason (Hoya?) it moved a bit to be less prominent. I haven't been in the physical store in over a year now.

2. One of those 12 (#1?) is mine. I think my preorder was after business hours on Saturday. I have no idea when it arrives - but you can be sure I'll be posting a boatload of lens test images.
Out of curiosity, why do you buy it in Montreal rather than at the CameraStore, or any other "local" camera store? For me, I'd be tempted to buy it in your province and have it shipped in Quebec to pay a little less taxes. I do feel a little bit bad about doing this though.
03-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
Two unrelated thoughts:

I think the last time I was in the Camerastore the 645 and some Leicas were in the front counter. Pentax is the first brand on the right hand side which is probably less traffic than the left hand side but I thought either Canon or Nikon was on the same side as Pentax, Mine you the last time I was in there was only for chemicals so all the camera gear other than the used section was given a quick glance.

03-30-2016, 08:46 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Out of curiosity, why do you buy it in Montreal rather than at the CameraStore, or any other "local" camera store? For me, I'd be tempted to buy it in your province and have it shipped in Quebec to pay a little less taxes. I do feel a little bit bad about doing this though.
You know that this could easily evolve to a political discussion...
03-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #54

It does not have a fill flash? I won't own a camera that doesn't have fill flash. I have no use for astrotracking/GPS, but have a lot of use for a flash.

After shooting Pentax for 40 years, my next camera is going to be a Canon.
03-30-2016, 02:52 PM - 3 Likes   #55
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen220 Quote
After shooting Pentax for 40 years,
Tell us about the fill flash in the Pentax cameras you used 40 years ago.
my next camera is going to be a Canon.
Thanks for sharing that. We were all wondering what it would be.

Once you get your Full Frame Canon, please drop by and give us a full report on how well its built in flash works.

Last edited by Parallax; 03-31-2016 at 11:07 AM.
03-30-2016, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

It does not have a fill flash? I won't own a camera that doesn't have fill flash. I have no use for astrotracking/GPS, but have a lot of use for a flash.

Most FF cameras DO NOT have a flash...
Most of your Pentax cameras didn't have a flash...
03-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too have a lot of use for an onboard flash. That's why I shoot with a K-5iis. I'm also confident that Pentax will also put out a full frame version with a flash at some point. They continually offer an APS-C body with a flash, and I expect that to continue.
03-30-2016, 03:35 PM - 2 Likes   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It does not have a fill flash? I won't own a camera that doesn't have fill flash. I have no use for astrotracking/GPS, but have a lot of use for a flash. After shooting Pentax for 40 years, my next camera is going to be a Canon.
That is a really impressive first post.......................
03-30-2016, 04:00 PM - 2 Likes   #59
Pentaxian

You know, the old flash I used with my Program Plus, works just great on my K-5 and K-3 and I'm assuming the K-1. AN old Pentax AF 200T. Go look in your camera cupboard and dig yours out. That's what I do when I need flash.

K-3, AF200T left over from use with my Program Plus, Soligar 14s, slave triggered by the main flash, cost me $20. But then, I've really used Pentax for 40 years, and I won't use the built in flash unless I was dumb and came unprepared. It is a good way to cover my stupidity though when I didn't bring the right gear.

You know, the old flash I used with my Program Plus, works just great on my K-5 and K-3 and I'm assuming the K-1. AN old Pentax AF 200T. Go look in your camera cupboard and dig yours out.Then quit whining.

Oh wait, you haven't really shot Pentax for 40 years have you. You're just trolling us. No matter, you sound like a troll.
03-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You all made me get up and put batteries in my AF-280T and check if she still works. Good to go here!