Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Bingo. What we're seeing from the "pop-up flash" is not the entire unit, there's the large capacitor - and the battery (which is the camera's).
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Are you human yourself? What evidence can you provide?
Am I human? Do I even exist? Perhaps I'm some Microsoft experiment who became self-aware, and made Pentaxian by hanging out with the wrong crowd...

04-03-2016, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So did anyone go and have feedback?

I'm wondering if anyone had a look and has feedback and how many people attended.

As an aside Pentax Forums is strange in that people are chided for creating new threads so they end up talking about the most banal unrelated things in every imaginable thread. Nothing like combing through pages of a thread only to find nothing relating to the actual topic. (Yes I am aware of the irony of this comment but I dare not start a new thread in case someone had once before)
04-03-2016, 09:49 AM - 3 Likes   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Are you human yourself? What evidence can you provide?
I am about to devour an entire sleeve of Girl Scout cookies. Is that enough evidence?
04-03-2016, 06:37 PM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I am about to devour an entire sleeve of Girl Scout cookies. Is that enough evidence?
Only if you brought enough to share.

04-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #110
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I am human, therefore I have to assume I am; but if I weren't it would be logical to assume that I would be programmed to think I am, so how would I know?

Now my head hurts.

At least I think it does.

ARGH!
04-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #111
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I think I am human, therefore I have to assume I am; but if I weren't it would be logical to assume that I would be programmed to think I am, so how would I know?

Now my head hurts.

At least I think it does.

ARGH!
Have you ever watched 'The Matrix'

You could actually be a part of a computer program that allows you to think that you are a functioning self aware member of society, when in fact you could actually just be a human battery for the machines that now control the planet, and who wrote the program.

Now, the mystery of this particular piece of thinking, is why have you been chosen to use Pentax equipment, when so many use other products. Is this just a differentiation sub routine, to give the illusion of choice in a complex reality program, or is it in fact proof that you are actually self aware - thereby dispelling the myth of the Matrix and previous speculation about this subject on the thread.

It gets all very existential when you start thinking about it......

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 04-03-2016 at 07:41 PM.
04-03-2016, 07:19 PM   #112
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Now my head REALLY hurts.

04-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #113
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Well aren't you just the model of decency. The hypocrisy astounds me. Perfect example of seeing the twig in someone else's eye but not the log in your own. I'm not claiming any type of maturity or any other thing else here. I'm just surprised you think you are.
I never said I was/am -- far from it. Though I am able to discern and make choices as you are. If yours leads you to play aggressive, unfriendly 'cat and mouse' games, that is your choice. Yet I won't agree with it. Especially when it eats up 2 pages of dialog that could be spent on the topic at hand (a lovely camera).

Though what I initially stated was done in general since you referred to a 'we' and not to specifically 'you' (singular) -- it was only you (singular) that decided to wear that shoe. And it would only be hypocritical had I partaken alongside you (plural)... which I did not.

It is not necessary for forum users to adhere to your ridiculous standards of what's couth and what isn't.
True. However, it is necessary for us to work at adhering to the forum rules.

---------- Post added 04-03-16 at 09:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Because the capacitor is big, so you'll need to have a reasonable size unit.
ahh I was thinking of a 3rd party flash unit that would sit flush with the top of the camera on the shoe mount.. rather large.. perhaps the entire size of the top of the mirror box but the size of the normal popup flash. But I suppose you are right -- not sure the capacitor would fit in that.. even for a popup flash. I like the idea though

I just thought it might be a fun project for someone with a 3d printer and some EE knowledge -- I have neither though.
04-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Now my head hurts. At least I think it does. ARGH!
Please read your signature, that will help....................
04-04-2016, 06:48 AM   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
never said I was/am -- far from it. Though I am able to discern and make choices as you are. If yours leads you to play aggressive, unfriendly 'cat and mouse' games, that is your choice.
Glad you realize that, and if you choose to call what I do playing "aggressive, unfriendly 'cat and mouse' games" that is your choice. Because you are a literalist, you are going to say "well that's what you said." And that's the problem with literalists. The fact that certain linguistic strategies, may be used to define a situation,and make it understandable, doesn't mean they define the situation accurately. In fact the idea that any situation can even be accurately using words is itself a fallacy. What, you're doing here is defining my words in ways that favour your judgement of the situation, not trying to understand what I'm telling you. Fundamentalist thinking. Read something simple, turn it into a moral judgement on much greater issues.

I would have hoped you would have been mature enough to see past the limits of that moralistic thinking. However, the fact that you can't makes me wonder if you are really going to be able handle hanging out here. That kind of moral judgement is hard to both create and defend. It can't help your enjoyment of the forum. It certainly hasn't helped you understand what myself and many others do here.
04-04-2016, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #116
Pentaxian

... if you choose to call what I do playing "aggressive, unfriendly 'cat and mouse' games" that is your choice.
Norm, from where I'm standing, some of your posts in this thread certainly do read as uncalled-for and aggressive. They have made the thread much less enjoyable to read for me.
04-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #117
Pentaxian

That's what the ignore button is for. Listen this is a package deal. I'm not here to have my behaviour altered. If what you get isn't worth it for you, then you have the ignore button. God knows, if I decrease your enjoyment of the forum, I'm not going to be offended. Most of this stuff, I'm just killing time waiting for a real issue to arrive. I certainly don't need your judgement, you or mee's. I understand where you're coming from, and from my perspective, it's not appropriate in an adult forum. Maybe if we were dealing with 10 year olds. So let's just choose to disagree, and you guys just put me your ignore list. Problem solved.

But if you think lining me up and trying to take a run at me is going to work....
04-04-2016, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #118
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
A bot. Programmed to register on a bunch of forums. Then months later used to disseminate a piece of information that is favorable to the bot's owner. If they manage to get one person out of a thousand to reconsider their opinion then it's a success. It may not seem like a success, but imagine that this bot is operating on hundreds if not thousands of camera forums and discussion groups and injecting thousands of comments into the discussion stream.

Remember, more than half of all Internet traffic is non-human.
Yes but 70% of the non human traffic is due to cats posting selfies
04-04-2016, 12:50 PM   #119
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Yes but 70% of the non human traffic is due to cats posting selfies
Cats - now there is the real one world order, they are just extra good at disguising it. I wonder if there is pixel level subliminal messaging in those cat images.

Not that we are ever to talk about it.....ssshhhhhhh........
04-04-2016, 12:59 PM - 2 Likes   #120
Pentaxian

... I understand where you're coming from ...
The place where I'm coming from is right here. It reads like this: "Although debates and discussions are allowed, we would like to maintain a friendly forum and do not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts. Offensive/vulgar words and phrases are not allowed, even in masked form if the intended word(s) can be discerned."

It's not about the OBF guy, BTW. A statement like "the hypocrisy astounds me" directed by yourself at Mee upthread is pretty much a direct insult, and definitely rude. As was accusing him of "fundamentalist thinking" - there was no need for that, as far as I can tell. And suggesting that I am behaving like a 10-year-old by pointing out that you - in this thread specifically - are not contributing to making this place friendly and enjoyable is pretty much indulging in exactly the type of behavior I am pointing out. But feel free to put me in your own ignore file - I'm not doing this for your benefit.

I'll continue to enjoy your photos and positive contributions elsewhere on the forum, and I will continue to point out rudeness as well...

Last edited by Doundounba; 04-04-2016 at 01:18 PM.