Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #16
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Hey, I could be wrong. Just my gut feeling and other stuff.

Ben
Care to share with us what the "other stuff" might be?

07-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
they will (probably) never attempt an agressive super-wide angle lens like 10-20 F2.8 or something.
And neither will anyone else. Who would want to pay for something that unwieldy. Because you know how big it would have to be, right? I think the upcoming DA15 prime will be a much more usable option, but we'll have to wait and see.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
i mean come on, why are the FA limiteds only 1.8? seriously
Because they are not twice as large and twice as heavy. I, for one, am glad. I mean, how thin do you want you DOF to be? Seriously.

You say Pentax has no plan but they helpfully published a roadmap that shows a concerted effort to provide lenses covering the focal range with different usability factors. For example the upcoming DA*55mm f/1.4 exactly plugs the hole where the FA*85mm f/1.4 used to be. The DA*200 and 300mm are on the streets now with amazing IQ. The DA35mm Limited makes images the equal of even the FA31 Limited, but with close focus and at half the price.

I really think they have given us a lot of great glass lately. But FF? Now there's a different story.
07-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member

No Bet

Samsung needs/wants to be in that game so it will happen. Dust off the old jigs for the FA lenses, buy some OEM lenses and you have a full line of glass. Don't even need to upgrade the AF module for the first go round. Because of Samsung putting up the bucks for the development Hoya will give their blessing.

Glad I decided to hold on to my better old lenses.

Regards,

Ken
07-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Apollinax, yes, there is a reason.

You hold your magnifying glass at a fixed distance to a dry leaf, otherwise it won't burn. This fixed distance is the focal length. Every lens has it. The sensor must be at this exact distance. If you move it, the image will defocus.

Thanks! I knew that my idea had to have some caveat as to why it would not work. That makes sense.

07-09-2008, 10:27 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oxford_artist Quote
especially if they could be overtaken by Samsung if they don't.

This makes no sense. Samsung hasn't yet made single DSLR and they certainly won't start by making a pro body....
07-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #21
racinsince55

I am betting on a FF Pentax in September....Not a lot of money but I have this sixth sense about these sorts of things and my intuition says between 24-28 mega pixels. Under 3k € and 100 to 6400 iso. Three to Five FPS...........

Ben

I think you're just throwing crap at the wall hoping that some of it will stick.
07-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
I think you're just throwing crap at the wall hoping that some of it will stick.

With his track record, I'll bet most of it will stick....
07-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
And neither will anyone else. Who would want to pay for something that unwieldy. Because you know how big it would have to be, right? I think the upcoming DA15 prime will be a much more usable option, but we'll have to wait and see.

Because they are not twice as large and twice as heavy. I, for one, am glad. I mean, how thin do you want you DOF to be? Seriously.

You say Pentax has no plan but they helpfully published a roadmap that shows a concerted effort to provide lenses covering the focal range with different usability factors. For example the upcoming DA*55mm f/1.4 exactly plugs the hole where the FA*85mm f/1.4 used to be. The DA*200 and 300mm are on the streets now with amazing IQ. The DA35mm Limited makes images the equal of even the FA31 Limited, but with close focus and at half the price.

I really think they have given us a lot of great glass lately. But FF? Now there's a different story.
my friends canon 35mm F1.4 USM "L" is a very, very, very fine lens.

and while i totaly agree with you on the DOF issue, the point i'm trying to get across is the notion of why we need FF cameras and who will use them.

currently FF photographers (should anyway) only fall into the pro-class, because for the everday joe to distinguish between either would be a fruitless endavour.

and if you are just an amateur that can bust down enough cash to have this "toy" to photograph your kids, dogs, and your trip to the moon, well, all the power to you, but i would respectufly remove their opinions for the task at hand.

having said that, if we are to recieve a PRO camera we should have glass that can fully extend our creative minds.

Canons F0.95 anyone??

i would love a 10mm rectalinear lens at F2.8, my sigma's F4.0 DOF just isnt shallow enough! things are still in focus.

anyway i think i lost my train of thought, but yeah...

anyway, i dont deny a possiblity, but september is too soon, unless this is some magical miracle and we're going to be showered with products left right and center.

07-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
My crap is really glutenous..

Ben
07-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I hope you guys realise that many FF sensors are reall 1.3 crops, which if Pentax does do all of the DA lenses will work fine with it as will in body SR.
07-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
I hope you guys realise that many FF sensors are reall 1.3 crops, which if Pentax does do all of the DA lenses will work fine with it as will in body SR.
Scratching my head...
Canon 1Ds-Series: crop 1.0
Canon 1D-Series: crop 1.3
Nikon D3 / D700: crop 1.0

Hmm, makes me wonder if a Pentax cam could include a crop switch of 1.0 for real FF and 1.3 for non compatible DA glas
07-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I am betting on a FF Pentax in September....Not a lot of money but I have this sixth sense about these sorts of things and my intuition says between 24-28 mega pixels. Under 3k € and 100 to 6400 iso. Three to Five FPS...........

Ben
I'm betting a FF gets announced in September.......perhaps even a mock-up that's kept under glass and perhaps a WA lens to go with it.....also kept under glass.

As for a release of these? mid-late 2010 would be my guess.

Cheers!
07-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
As for a release of these? mid-late 2010 would be my guess.

Cheers!

Hoya have openly said interviews that two more DSLR's will come this year. This one is probably one of them....
07-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #29

I don't know what to beleave.

The current lens roadmap suggests that this predicition will slide off the wall like crap. And we all know that developing new lenses takes time.

But I've got some wild ideas. Samsung says they are working at a FF sensor. Samsung have developed no bodies, and have launched no lenses. But, they do have some kind of relationship with Schneider.
So, one posible scenario is a co-development between the three of them. Result: A full frame body developed by Samsung and Pentax, and a basic rebadged lens lineup made by Schneider.

I don't know if this idea makes any sense. Because I have no idea what Schneider are doing nowadays. But it could be posible, if they do have the resources.

Last edited by Fototim; 07-09-2008 at 11:38 AM.
07-09-2008, 11:43 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
I don't know what to beleave.

The current lens roadmap suggests that this predicition will slide off the wall like crap. And we all know that developing new lenses takes time.
: .

But developing the camera takes time too and it must have started at least 1,5 years ago. I guess the lens designers have been informed and consequently been busy...