Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am betting on FF in September

I am betting on a FF Pentax in September....Not a lot of money but I have this sixth sense about these sorts of things and my intuition says between 24-28 mega pixels. Under 3k € and 100 to 6400 iso. Three to Five FPS...........

Ben

07-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now you've done it Ben.
07-09-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

what about a lens selection to go along with it?
07-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
I'll bet an arsenal is in the works...

Ben

07-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe I should just hang on to the "K" glass on my For Sale table?
07-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

Ben
they have the 60-250 canned for over a year

they will (probably) never attempt an agressive super-wide angle lens like 10-20 F2.8 or something.

they will most definetly never bother making aggressive lenses in the F1.2 category (i mean come on, why are the FA limiteds only 1.8? seriously)

their abandonment of the FA Line philosophy (20 F2.8, 35 F2, etc etc) over to the DA Primes of ridiculous speeds to me is a weird approach, (sure they are small, but its not like you can put this camera in your jean pocket anyway)

they are making lenses without any real focus or path

and yet you feel confident that they will make PRO level Full Frame glass by the end of september? come on!
07-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
This is my thought also.

There are no Lens on the current developement roadmap that would lend credence to any speculation of Pentax developing, and marketing, a DSLR with a FF Sensor.

All of the DA and DA* lens are optimized for the currents aps-c sensor.

They could, of course, re-introduce the entire line of FA and FA* lenses but I personally don't see that happening.

07-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
This is my thought also.

There are no Lens on the current developement roadmap that would lend credence to any speculation of Pentax developing, and marketing, a DSLR with a FF Sensor.

All of the DA and DA* lens are optimized for the currents aps-c sensor.

They could, of course, re-introduce the entire line of FA and FA* lenses but I personally don't see that happening.
Hey, I could be wrong. Just my gut feeling and other stuff.

Ben
07-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Well, I'm desperately hoping that they'll keep their efforts on the 60-250mm :-)

On the other hand, if Pentax is reconsidering it's market position (re FF) all of a sudden, they might be rushing something to market with the idea of rebadging some FF lenses as a stopgap. Common, they couldn't go wrong with rebadging the Tamron 28-75mm and the new 70-200mm is supposed to be ok too (though I've seen no real reviews of it yet)... FA ltds are still available (ya, 1.8 is 'slow' but they still give a good rendering even on the K20D) and there is the 50mm 1.4, 35mm f/2 and the 40mm too.

They'd just need a 'kit lens' and they could survive an initial launch of a FF product.
07-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

Ben

That would explain the recent delays of new lenses....
07-09-2008, 10:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Can someone help explain this to me?

1. A lens' focal length is measured in terms of it's distance from the sensore/film plane correct?
2. FF lenses are designed so that the projected circle of light is optimzed to make contact with the full sensor/film frame correct?
3. DA lens' projected circle of light is smaller due to the size of the digital sensor correct?

So now I am just thinking out loud using my 1st grade experience of what happens to sunlight as I move a magnifying glass closer and farther away from a dry leaf. Usually the type of optics I deal with are the laser variety...

Why not design a body that allows for the movement of the sensor plane to be closer to the lens mount when a DA lens is attached to achieve the same size circle of light as a FF lens? Obviously the body would need to be larger and you may need a special viewfinder to have the correct adjustment for focus but is there a reason why this wouldn't work?

Again this is coming from my very basic novice understanding of SLRs in general so if I am way off base please do not flame me, please just tell me why it wouldn't work so I learn something new today
07-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I share Ben's feeling here.

I mean, hey, we know that Samsung wants to go FF anyway. But now, 4 of the 5 major vendors have a clear enthusiast format roadmap:
5DmkII, D700, Alpha900: FF
E3: FourThirds (they can't go FF).

Pentax is now left alone and it would be fatal to not communicate a clear format roadmap to their enthusiast user base. And to say APS-C here would be taken as a non statement. So, what else can they do?

So, they will announce FF-something in September. If however, they will be able to deliver before 2nd half of 2009 is another story...
07-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
This is my thought also.

Are you sure? The DA* 60-250/4 ED IF is full frame; at least it was on the first roadmap! The DA* 55/1.4 is almost certainly a replacement for the old 50/1.4; is there any point in not making such a lens FF?
The DA* 30mm is suspicioulsy close the the FA 31/1.8 Limited, which is full frame. My guess is that it is the limited lens in weather sealed DA* guise and markedet as DA* 30/1.8. The old FA Limiteds are almost certainly on their way out as they are hand made in Japan and I'll guess that Pentax will want to move all their lens production to Vietnam. And then theres all the lenses NOT on the roadmap
Just my guess though....

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 07-09-2008 at 10:30 AM.
07-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
what happens to sunlight as I move a magnifying glass closer and farther away from a dry leaf. [...] is there a reason why this wouldn't work?
Apollinax, yes, there is a reason.

You hold your magnifying glass at a fixed distance to a dry leaf, otherwise it won't burn. This fixed distance is the focal length. Every lens has it. The sensor must be at this exact distance. If you move it, the image will defocus.
07-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I share Ben's feeling here.

I mean, hey, we know that Samsung wants to go FF anyway. But now, 4 of the 5 major vendors have a clear enthusiast format roadmap:
5DmkII, D700, Alpha900: FF
E3: FourThirds (they can't go FF).

Pentax is now left alone and it would be fatal to not communicate a clear format roadmap to their enthusiast user base. And to say APS-C here would be taken as a non statement. So, what else can they do?

So, they will announce FF-something in September. If however, they will be able to deliver before 2nd half of 2009 is another story...
Me too, meaning I agree with Ben and falconeye AND the camera will be a "me too". Pentax will have to have a professional's digital camera if they want to underline their seriousness as a camera maker, especially if they could be overtaken by Samsung if they don't.