Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2008, 02:49 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote
I think that Pentax needs a FF as soon as posible in order to be a serious contender in the marketplace even if they sell only a few and lose money on it. The availability of a FF means "we are 'Pro' also" and subsequently will boost the sales of other models if they can break loose some heavy advertising money. The two leading monikers are plastered all over the place and overwhelmingly influence the average consumer.
Ditto!!!

Thanks
Ben

07-10-2008, 02:51 AM   #62

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Do you mean announce one (like the 645D) or actually release one in September?

I'm happy to bet they wont release a FF camera in September. How much?
For me, it would be a sad day! As I have stated before, my NEXT camera will be FF period.

Cheers,
07-10-2008, 03:30 AM   #63
Sam

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
A Pair of Latex Panties and a Jar of Vaseline...

Ben
Would this mean that you are currently alpha/beta testing such a camera, or that would be telling?

Cheers!
Sam
07-10-2008, 04:02 AM   #64

To me....same sensor, different bodies and different scopes: Samsung goes 35mm FF with K mount, Pentax with cropped medium format....645D ressurected, with 4/5 lenses ready.

Samsung faces Canikon, Pentax faces digital backs world.

07-10-2008, 04:22 AM   #65
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What about BODY of new camera?
07-10-2008, 05:12 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
What about BODY of new camera?
Perhaps similair to the MZ-D:

07-10-2008, 05:43 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erasmo Quote
I'd say keep it as close to what they have as possible. Maybe bring a few of the things out of the Fn menu and onto the body, while bringing a few other things out of the regular menu and into the Fn menu. And even though an integrated grip is a sign of a "pro" body, Pentax has designed their grips pretty well, so keep the flexabilty a seperate grip gives you. Just add an AF button to it already (doesn't matter to me personally, but I really do feel for those that use it) and some way to let you also change the ISO. While I can reach the Ok button now, I imagine most people have smaller hands than I do.

07-10-2008, 06:40 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
Not Tokina glass, glass co deloped by Pentax and Tokina. Besides that nit, you are basically right about the past.

But, does that imply that Scheider is dead as a glass developer and manufactorer?
Nope, just like I'm fairly certain a number of Sony's "Zeiss" lenses just have the Zeiss name on them (licensing/branding) but not made by Zeiss and don't have Zeiss quality. Zeiss is by no means dead!
07-10-2008, 06:54 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Nope, just like I'm fairly certain a number of Sony's "Zeiss" lenses just have the Zeiss name on them (licensing/branding) but not made by Zeiss and don't have Zeiss quality. Zeiss is by no means dead!
Zeiss might as well be dead,

is it really that hard to make advanced fully mechanized lenses?
07-10-2008, 06:56 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erasmo Quote
why must a pro-body be big enough to use as a coffee table?
07-10-2008, 07:38 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
why must a pro-body be big enough to use as a coffee table?
So you can use it to produce coffee table books?

07-10-2008, 07:40 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
So you can use it to produce coffee table books?

you mean it will come with a built in printer?
07-10-2008, 07:42 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
Zeiss might as well be dead,

is it really that hard to make advanced fully mechanized lenses?
No... the key issue is production cost.
Germany, like Japan, has a very high labour cost. To take the example of Japan, a lot of precision manufacturing that used to be in Japan have been relocated in lower cost Asian countries.

Sony's Zeiss lenses are definitely not made in Germany and Sony never publicly says where the lenses are made, just the phrase that the lenses are made to Zeiss standards.

Even Schneider's B+W filters have different quality versions. There are the more expensive brass ring ones and the newer ones are now made with aluminium (lighter in weight) and are reputedly being manufactured by Hoya and China made.

In a globalized market of OEM manufacturing, this is a common thing nowadays. Zeiss, Leica, Schneider all lend their brand name to lots of products that are certainly not made in Germany.
07-10-2008, 07:48 AM   #74
Veteran Member

BTW, dyxum reports that Sony's FF A900 has already been spotted being field tested in... Canada
Got spy pictures too...

So the FF race is definitely on. I'm certainly looking forward to Pentax launching their own FF camera. It will happen sooner or later.
07-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Who, exactly, would be the target market for a 25MP FF Pentax? Few hobbyists, even uber-enthusiasts are likely to buy one, because of the cost, if nothing else. Does Pentax believe that they can compete with Nikon and Canon for a share of the professional market? That would be a highly risky venture, IMO, especially without a solid range of lenses, accessories and support services in place. Perhaps, Pentax would see such a camera as a loss leader, something to garner attention in the marketplace and provide technological advances that could be incorporated into cameras farther down the ladder.