Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #286
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
I suspect the K20D was the interim model ....It is largely based on the K10D but with the new sensor. I skipped the K20D in the hope that a higher specked model would be introduced, I would be quite happy if it retained the same sensor.

I am sure that they need that higher specked model ...something in the same league as Nikon's D300. While you may argue that the K20D competes, it may in IQ but not in technical spec's and Pentax need to show that they are in the game. To my thinking that (a D300 class model) would be more important than introducing a FF camera in terms of establishing the market share they are seeking.

Mike.
I agree with this. For all the talk about FF, I can't believe that the Pentax community wouldn't be absolutely *ecstatic* about a K20D successor that had a high fps speed and an autofocus sytem on par with the D300. And that body would be a vastly better market performer than a FF body as well, IMHO, since Pentax already has a pretty damn good APS-C lens lineup - especially when the DA*60-250 gets released.

08-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #287
Veteran Member

I'm wondering.. how are they supposed to implement SR on FF? The image circle of the lenses are barely big enough to cover the sensor as it is, what is going to happen when it starts moving all over the place? (sorry if this has been discussed before)

They can't really make a smaller, "almost" FF sensor... they would never get a good wide-angle then. There's no really wide FF lens in their lineup if they start coming out with 1,1/1,2 cropped sensors.

The answer would be either introduce a whole new range of FF lenses that cover a big enough image circle to be able to work with SR on FF sensors (how much money is that going to cost them??!), or they could have some sort of "cropped" SR mode that is enabled when SR is on and FF when SR is off.

You always have lenses with stabilisation in them, but I can't really see that happening...

Is this a real problem, or do you think that there will be no problem with SR on FF Pentax cameras?

(I sure as wouldn't like to see N&C with their 14mm lenses on FF when the widest thing Pentax could make was the FF equivalent of a 17/18mm. With SR of course but still...)

Any thoughts/other solutions?
08-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #288
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
I agree with this. For all the talk about FF, I can't believe that the Pentax community wouldn't be absolutely *ecstatic* about a K20D successor that had a high fps speed and an autofocus sytem on par with the D300. And that body would be a vastly better market performer than a FF body as well, IMHO, since Pentax already has a pretty damn good APS-C lens lineup - especially when the DA*60-250 gets released.
A K20D sucessor would likely fit that describtion. But right now, such a camera would not make the kind of impact that would place Pentax firmly on the map; thats whats needed.
08-01-2008, 04:57 PM   #289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
Is this a real problem, or do you think that there will be no problem with SR on FF Pentax cameras?
?

No problem. Already patented for Pentax FF cameras. Besides, a couple of sources say in this thread that new FF lenses are in the works.
I'm sure the Pentax FF will have SR; it is one of Pentax best selling point over Nikon and Canon.

08-01-2008, 08:32 PM   #290
Veteran Member

We're getting close.. any expectations for further price drops? BH is selling the K20D for U$1099 already.
08-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #291
Veteran Member

re price drop, I was going to skip the k20d but grabbed one out of hong kong for US$940 with conversion to $au it was $1002 to the door I couldn't resist

re ff / pro apsc. I think there is the demand for both and sadly pentax need about 6 or 7 cameras on the market to keep (almost) everyone happy I think it will happen but it will take another 18 months.
08-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #292
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
I'm wondering.. how are they supposed to implement SR on FF? The image circle of the lenses are barely big enough to cover the sensor as it is, what is going to happen when it starts moving all over the place? (sorry if this has been discussed before)

They can't really make a smaller, "almost" FF sensor... they would never get a good wide-angle then. There's no really wide FF lens in their lineup if they start coming out with 1,1/1,2 cropped sensors.

The answer would be either introduce a whole new range of FF lenses that cover a big enough image circle to be able to work with SR on FF sensors (how much money is that going to cost them??!), or they could have some sort of "cropped" SR mode that is enabled when SR is on and FF when SR is off.

You always have lenses with stabilisation in them, but I can't really see that happening...

(I sure as wouldn't like to see N&C with their 14mm lenses on FF when the widest thing Pentax could make was the FF equivalent of a 17/18mm. With SR of course but still...)

Any thoughts/other solutions?
to make 0.5 mm smaller FF sensor is not the problem

08-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #293
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
We're getting close.. any expectations for further price drops? BH is selling the K20D for U$1099 already.
I got new K20D body for... USD $650
08-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #294
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And how did you manage that deejjjaaaa?
08-03-2008, 02:05 AM   #295
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It was a special "Fell Off the Truck" Price!
08-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #296
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
well, because I happen to be in the USA... and evil Microsoft was running
a promotion like up to 25% (even 35%) cash back if you buy on ebay and pay with paypal after you do a search using live.com for an item (any item - just click the cashback link
to go to ebay from live.com)... and there are dealers ("dealers") who sell new K20Ds on ebay... so
~$1038 - 25% (up to $250, so it is $250 in this case) - $100 rebate - credit card cash back... voila, you have new K20D body for... ~$650...
08-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #297
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
It was a special "Fell Off the Truck" Price!
nice try
08-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #298
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
~$1038 - 25% (up to $250, so it is $250 in this case) - $100 rebate - credit card cash back... voila, you have new K20D body for... ~$650...
Counting your chickens before they hatch ... wait till you receive the cashbacks in hand first
08-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #299
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Counting your chickens before they hatch ... wait till you receive the cashbacks in hand first
well I checked my account on live.com - all microsoft cashbacks (from K20D and lenses) were reported by ebay/paypal as promised and in exact amounts... as for Pentax - I never had issues w/ their rebates (on previous 2 cameras and on flash) - so I am not concerned about that either... so do not feel envy - be proud that you paid the full price
08-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #300
Veteran Member

That cashback thing is dead for now though ;-)
I had thought about doing that as well, but the September KxD body has me on the fence :-)