Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2016, 07:01 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-1 is certainly off to a good start!
It's not even in the race yet, but it has already won.

Probably will be piles more awards for the K-1 coming up, I suspect. I can see a design award amongst them due to the novel flippy screen and top panel design.

04-18-2016, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Somebody has to win in these type of awards. If you look at what else has been released Pentax should be the winner.
The most important thing is not the rather silly award but the marketing hype that can and should be built around it.

There are people who are undecided about a camera and these awards are important in their decision. And in getting even more press as everyone has to report on who won the awards.
04-18-2016, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
In the race to get people's money it's off to a great start.

Is there some other race we should be concerned about?
04-18-2016, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

The TIPA Awards are a sham. The only full frame camera that didn't get one was the Sony A7S II. I assume TIPA is getting sponsored by camera makers and in return gives everyone a reward that shines and sparkles as a little sticker on the box.

04-18-2016, 07:16 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It would be nicer if almost every new photo product didn't get an award...
04-18-2016, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

As I said, all awards suck.
Not getting any awards sucks worse.

Learn to take things for what they are and don't whine when Pentax wins awards. You take it worth a grain of salt either way. But, if they didn't win any awards, that would be a statement.

I guess some the nay sayers who always like to run down Pentax for not being what everyone else is are kinda annoyed, that people would actually give Pentax an award. It makes their whining and complaining look childish, which it is. All those idiots saying "Pentax shoulda done this or Pentax shoulda done that." Here's some folks who can just look at it objectively and say, this isn a nice camera.

My first high school all star team, I was third team right guard. I was 15 years old still junior age, not varsity, and they're were 6 line backers better than me in the city. I guess they were a little short of quality right guards that year so they made me an all-star at a position I didn't play. Kind of a sham. The committee said to me, you're not one of the best 6 at your position, but you're one of the best 72 of the approximately 800 players in the league. Did I complain? Hell no. I took the little trophy and put it on my on my shelf.

All the committee is saying is, this is a good camera, worthy of note among the cameras out there.

I'm not sure why that gives you crybabies such a hard time.

Is it that you wanted the camera to be a piece of junk so you could whine and complain?

Darn it, now when you do that someone will just say :"well it did win the TIPA award" and you'll look like what you are, nit pickers.

I guess running down the award is you guys getting a head start on dismissing it in the complaining threads.

This is me getting head start on dismissing your dismissing.

This is a field camera, and I'm a field shooter. This camera was made for me. I guess others, who are flash shooters, or action shooters, or sports shooters, or navel shooters, or whatever shooters wonder why Pentax makes a camera for me and not for them. I think folks are taking it personally.

Last edited by normhead; 04-18-2016 at 07:53 AM.
04-18-2016, 07:41 AM   #22
Forum Member

Why we can't enjoy the moment? Any award means more potential buyers, more money for Pentax and more good stuff for us, the pentaxians! If the company developes, they can produce more good and competitive products that we can buy! So, let's be happy and full of hope!
04-18-2016, 07:53 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

More exposure for Pentax and the K1.......how the hell can anyone see that as a negative? What's wrong with you people???

04-18-2016, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it's just that most of us consider potential K-1 buyers to be discerning photographers - whether amateur or pro - who would scratch below the surface of an award to see exactly what its significance is and on what grounds a camera got the gong. The thing I certainly don't want is for us to point to this award and the non-Pentax critics to be able to spew out all sorts of rubbish (or maybe not-so-much-rubbish) about how it means nothing because what were the judging criteria, etc.

So before I rest on my favourite brand's laurels, I'd like to make sure they're not plastic copies - or worse, poison ivy!
04-18-2016, 08:40 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zburatoru Quote
Why we can't enjoy the moment? Any award means more potential buyers, more money for Pentax and more good stuff for us, the pentaxians! If the company developes, they can produce more good and competitive products that we can buy! So, let's be happy and full of hope!
Exactly.

K1 got "Best ful frame DSLR expert camera" award.

For all beloved pentaxian experts on this forum and especially on this thread I have a little story and it goes like this:

In a photo store where I'm usually testing and buying photo equipment there was a Pentax K-S2 on black stand with golden logo 2015 TIPA award.
In general every Pentax camera (even K-S1) had a good and equal to other brands treatment in that store.
But usually when a salesman finished with presenting cameras to buyers, they starts with thinking "why should I buy a camera from anonymous japanese brand when I could buy famous Nikon or Canon for the same amount of money".
Off course they usually choose Nikon or Canon.
But something different happened too many times to K-S2. It was selling very well in that store in compare to other brands.
We all know that K-S2 is a very good camera with unique combination of features but I could swear that in two situations when I was present (goofing around) that gold colored tipa award on a black stand was decisive factor for a buyer to make a decision.
As example in first case everything went as usual, salesman presented Canon, Nikon and Pentax DSLR and in one moment while returning K-S2 to a stand buyer starts to look at those golden TIPA letters for a few seconds and in next moment he turned around and asked salesman about guarantee and servicing conditions only for Pentax K-S2. When he got satisfactory answers he decided to get K-S2 instead on Canon and Nikon equivalents.
It looked to me that he had usual thoughts "why should I buy anonymous..." but when he saw TIPA award even he wasn't asking what kind of award is that, he probably thought "I'm not an expert but when those experts think that this anonymous brand have great cameras I'll buy this one". In that moment he probably decided to buy Pentax and with next question about guarantee and servicing condition he just wanted to ensure that he made a good decision.

So even all pentaxian experts knows that TIPA award is an ordinary peace of sh*t that award probably has a lot of sense for non-expert dslr beginners. Because of that it has my full respect.

Last edited by banep; 04-18-2016 at 08:50 AM.
04-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
Exactly.

K1 got "Best ful frame DSLR expert camera" award.

For all beloved pentaxian experts on this forum and especially on this thread I have a little story and it goes like this:

In a photo store where I'm usually testing and buying photo equipment there was a Pentax K-S2 on black stand with golden logo 2015 TIPA award.
In general every Pentax camera (even K-S1) had a good and equal to other brands treatment in that store.
But usually when a salesman finished with presenting cameras to buyers, they starts with thinking "why should I buy a camera from anonymous japanese brand when I could buy famous Nikon or Canon for the same amount of money".
Off course they usually choose Nikon or Canon.
But something different happened too many times to K-S2. It was selling very well in that store in compare to other brands.
We all know that K-S2 is a very good camera with unique combination of features but I could swear that in two situations when I was present (goofing around) that gold colored tipa award on a black stand was decisive factor for a buyer to make a decision.
As example in first case everything went as usual, salesman presented Canon, Nikon and Pentax DSLR and in one moment while returning K-S2 to a stand buyer starts to look at those golden TIPA letters for a few seconds and in next moment he turned around and asked salesman about guarantee and servicing conditions only for Pentax K-S2. When he got satisfactory answers he decided to get K-S2 instead on Canon and Nikon equivalents.
It looked to me that he had usual thoughts "why should I buy anonymous..." but when he saw TIPA award even he wasn't asking what kind of award is that, he probably thought "I'm not an expert but when those experts think that this anonymous brand have great cameras I'll buy this one". In that moment he probably decided to buy Pentax and with next question about guarantee and servicing condition he just wanted to ensure that he made a good decision.

So even all pentaxian experts knows that TIPA award is a peace of sh*t that award probably has a lot of sense for non-expert dslr beginners.
Exactly. TIPA may not mean much here but to people who are not brand aware it is a stamp of approval by 'experts'. Gives them confidence to buy.
04-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I assume TIPA is getting sponsored by camera makers and in return gives everyone a reward that shines and sparkles as a little sticker on the box.
In which case, Pentax should never get the sticker. After all, who spends the least on advertising?

Steve
04-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Is it possible to get through these threads without them turning into a "dump on Pentax" crapfest?

"Pentax won an award, let's all complain about Pentax." What's wrong with you people?

You guys would honestly be happier if Pentax didn't win this award, wouldn't you?

Then you could bitch away without regard to balance or objectivity.

Another mention of Pentax and awards, just another opportunity to bitch about Pentax, as if any of you clowns seems to need an excuse. Imaging what the reaction would be if they announced something bad.

We heard the same kind of crap when the K-5 was winning all those awards, and guess what? 6 years later the K-5 is still a great camera. And all the nay sayers are singing the exact same song. The negatively counts for exactly zilch, nada, null, nothing.

These people looked at this camera and gave it an award. Now, why does that bring out negativity? Look into your hearts.

You'll be better people for it.

Last edited by normhead; 04-18-2016 at 10:01 AM.
04-18-2016, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The K-1 is certainly off to a good start!

Probably will be piles more awards for the K-1 coming up, I suspect. I can see a design award amongst them due to the novel flippy screen and top panel design.
Grand Prix. Then they can release a special edition with a Golden Spiral focusing screen and a leather Grand Prix strap like K10D. Which is a good thing!

Think back to 2006. K10D all over again!

Last edited by monochrome; 04-18-2016 at 11:56 AM.
04-18-2016, 09:53 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Congrats to Ricoh-Pentax. I for one, am pleased to see recognition for the K1.

I think one can over analyze what an award means or doesn't mean. Whether it's meaningful or not meaningful.

In the end, Pentax received an award for the new K1. A camera, which I think has a lot going for it, is very competitive and one, somewhere down the pike, I may purchase.

It's not perfect, but nothing ever really is....is it.