Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2016, 10:22 AM - 4 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Is it possible to get through these threads without them turning into a "dump on Pentax" crapfest?

"Pentax won an award, let's all complain about Pentax." What's wrong with you people?
Not a single post in this thread is critical of Pentax or any of their products. All people are talking about is the TIPA Awards being pointless because they simply throw them at every camera there is, and create categories simply to be able to do it.

So stop being paranoid, no one is dumping Pentax.

04-18-2016, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
In which case, Pentax should never get the sticker. After all, who spends the least on advertising?
Did you actually read the post above that quote? Or are you lacking in english comprehension skills? Did you not notice that "who spends the least on advertising" as criticism of pentad's advertising budget?

And you're right, most people don't criticize Pentax directly, they say outright that the award is meaningless. Which it's not. They just hate people who say nice things about Pentax, if you want to nitpick ya, you've got point. I'd still say quit nit-picking and just bask in the glory.

The thing I'm pointing out is, they are negative about Pentax getting this award. SO there's my correction, and guess what. There's a pile of people needing an attitude correction.

The proper response to someone, anyone, getting an award is not..."That award doesn't mean anything." It just isn't. It's "congratulations on getting the nice little plaque to put in front of your cameras in the retail outlets", in this case.
04-18-2016, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
All full frame DSLRs that came out in 2015/16 got an award. They probably invented the high res FF category especially for Canon
This is why the whole TIPA awards thing is starting to lose credibility in my eyes...plus, the K-1 isn't even out yet!

A little recognition is always nice, though.

The Theta S also got an award for "best design"- interesting choice there.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds good to me. Go ricoh pentax!!

04-18-2016, 01:02 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Let's face it - most "awards" and "consumer choice" certificates are meaningless drivel. They exist to sell themselves, and the products that they get attached to. Its a symbiotic relationship. It gives consumers confidence in that brand, and it gives the brand confidence in that award brand.
But in some way, it is still nice that Pentax gets noticed and is part of this. And TIPA is fairly well known. You should see this as a form of marketing - instead of a TV ad, you get a "TIPA 2016 award" sticker
04-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Ya, see it as a form of advertising, that someone gave you as a gift and you paid nothing for. Oh wait, that's not advertising, or marketing. Those are things you pay someone to do for you.
04-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #37

This award is terrible for those hoping for a relatively quick (within 6 months) price drop. Still, it is nice to see others appreciate what many of us discovered some time ago: Pentax (now Ricoh) gives great value for the $ spent.
04-18-2016, 04:30 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
According to the linked-to article, "awards are only given to products that have been reviewed by the collective ...
The collective...

I am happy Pentax received an award.
I don't know TIPA from tapa.

I am a glad to know the awards are given a little loosely. So comments about the award process have been helpful to me. Surely the award wouldn't be given if the camera was deficient, but the limbo bar isn't held too low to the ground.

I have felt the comments are critical of TIPA and not Pentax.

04-18-2016, 06:40 PM   #39
Pentaxian

The bottom line is.... when my K-1 arrives I'm suddenly an "Expert"..... (now thats something to be critical about......)
04-18-2016, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter

I really dont care. Just delivery my K-1 already eh?
04-18-2016, 10:40 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Flattering, but a mockery when it's a product still not released in its final configuration.
I wouldn't say "mockery", but hype... as for every new camera at the time of release, it's always THE camera of the century...that is buried by the NEXT camera of THE century two years later. Look at that article here This is the camera gear that NASA use on the International Space Station - DIY Photography featuring the Nikon camera/lens. Canon does the same, and Pentax also does but to a lesser extent (smaller marketing budget?). I wouldn't say it is bad to advertise something via any mean available, it is legitimate. Look at DPR, it's all about marketing, they take some unique features (elements of truth) that are largely inflated, then a lot of features are almost never used. The best is to get out, forget about camera brand name and have fun with what's available to you.
04-19-2016, 02:38 AM   #42
Pentaxian

I think the TIPA awards is more like a buying advice, then a summation of thorough tests. I think there are enough information available to highly recommend the K-1, even if its not yet shipping in its final state.

Yes, its a little silly with 40 categories, but at least they stopped increasing that in 2009.

The price I react most to is the imaging software price where the winner don't work on ether my primary choice of operating system, Linux, or the secondary (Windows). Yes, I know there is a beta on the way, but its still too weak OS support.

Last edited by Simen1; 04-19-2016 at 02:55 AM.
04-19-2016, 03:10 AM   #43
Site Supporter

It is pretty easy for a camera to win an award when it is the only camera in its category. It is not a bad thing that Pentax won this, but I don't know that these awards have much credibility, either (nor do I know anyone who purchases camera gear on the basis of these awards).
04-19-2016, 03:16 AM   #44
Pentaxian

With TIPA, it's hard not to be the only camera in its category
Anyway, the K-1 deserves the award. So I won't complain about it
04-19-2016, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

As long as it is Dave's pick I'll be happy