Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2016, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #61

Photos: Gallery
As to Ricoh spending money on advertising: check both the back cover and the inside front cover (two page) in the latest edition of Popular Photography (May 2016). There are ads for the K-1. They expect this thing to sell like the K-10 did, and for good reason. The TIPA award sure won't hurt those sales.

04-19-2016, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think all these people suggesting people bought this award need to provide information.

How much does Pentax contribute to TIPA?

After all the whole "this award is meaningless argument depends on the award being purchased like advertising. Yet no one has provided one tidbit validating the one fact on which the argument is based?

What does the TIPA site say?
QuoteQuote:
TIPA Awards are independently voted on by the General Assembly every year. So there is no application procedure to follow for manufacturers or companies who are willing to win a TIPA Award. However, TIPA suggests that those interested in getting an award continually keep its members informed about the launching of new products.
I will provide the link, as that's what responsible poster do.
TIPA - TECHNICAL IMAGE PRESS ASSOCIATION - Home

Those who say the award is something different than described, where's the proof?
04-19-2016, 08:52 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Simple to check :

"Use of the logo
Winning companies are free to announce their award in press releases, technical papers or on their websites. However, the use of the TIPA Awards logo in advertising, promotional publications, packaging, etc, is only permitted if the Awards logo conditions-of-use are accepted by the product manufacturer.

For more information, please contact our office.

Promotion
In order to spread consumer awareness of the TIPA Awards logo, the Association itself runs its own multimedia advertising campaign promoting the winning products and the TIPA logo. Every year, all TIPA member magazines publish two full-page print ads and many also place a website banner ad portraying the winning products on their websites, which both help to increase the awareness of the great value of the TIPA Awards for both amateurs and professionals alike.

The TIPA ad-campaign is a significant marketing tool, as our member magazines together make up a target-group circulation of approximately 800,000 print copies, not to mention the ever-increasing number of page-impressions on our members’ websites. This campaign helps make our logo not only the most prestigious, but also the consumers' best known."

As an association, they have members, hence funders : camera industry, media industry ;
btw, they won't communicate publicly on the dark side of the moon, will they ?

Last edited by Zygonyx; 04-19-2016 at 09:01 AM.
04-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So the winners price isn’t just the publicity and fame, but also a two page ad in stead of price money.. So what?

The technical image press association are currently consisting of 26 photography magazines from around the world. I dont see the problem. None of these are brand specific. For instance, I doubt Pentax forums could become a member because PF aren’t brand neutral.

04-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #65
Pentaxian

I don't see any problem myself, but no "wahou effect" nor pentax pride either.

Let's wait and see if K-1 wins the Camera Grand Prix, and which color Ricoh choose for its' new limited edition

Last edited by Zygonyx; 04-19-2016 at 10:32 AM.
04-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #66
Pentaxian

The votes are cast at annual meetings of the member magazines. As is stated on their site. This is going something like this:

at least in 1993 it was

Explained here: OUR HISTORY
04-19-2016, 11:29 AM - 2 Likes   #67
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

If we had only known.......we could have lobbied for Pentax to not even be mentioned in any TIPA awards, thus making a lot of posters in this thread "smiley faces"......... and they could start a different thread on how Pentax....wasn't even mentioned!

Regards!

04-19-2016, 02:23 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

look at the bright side Rupert, now you can show Mrs. Rupert that award and she will know you are now an 'expert'.............
04-19-2016, 03:36 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Well the award doesn't mean much and sure one should not put too much value into it simply because too many products in the camera industry get this kind of award for this to be really relevant.

It still has some value I think because an obviously uninterresting product would likely not get any award to keep credibility.

In no way can this be negative.
04-19-2016, 09:13 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
@Schraubstock : i like your PPP slogan. Do you charge fees for re-use ?
Thanks
Among friends in this forum - no
For commercial use - yes
It is in the process of being Trade Mark registered

Cheers

---------- Post added 20-04-16 at 02:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I was not saying that companies are paying for awards, and neither was I saying I am sure about anything. But apart from awarding prizes, TIPA is an industry organisation of initially European, now global photography magazines. I know that similar collaborative organisations of independent companies are often heavily sponsored by suppliers of goods to these companies, not always directly in monetary terms, but often by paying for travel and accommodation for annual meetings etc. With the current state of paper magazines and traditional journalism I doubt TIPA just survives on its own, rather I find it likely that many camera makers chip in here and there and support them as a whole (but don't specifically pay for awards), and TIPA is trying to keep everybody happy by handing out awards like Oprah is handing out presents. That's my hypothesis.
Hi
No offense was intended by the way.
I fully understand, been in commerce all my life.

To me your comment was not even handed. If it is assumed that awards are handed out to those who do backroom deals then Ricoh/Pentax must have done the same in order to win this award. This was just my logical thought process.

Cheers
04-20-2016, 01:00 AM   #71
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

what's the matter

the pentax k-1 is not so long present.

now a price!!!!!!

suspect

it's commercial
04-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks like there are more categories each year and this year saw a real proliferation of new ones. Seems like overkill to me.