Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2016, 03:59 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I assume TIPA is getting sponsored by camera makers and in return gives everyone...
This then simply means Ricoh/Pentax has gone into a sponsored relationship with TIPA.
Strange, I was led to believe Ricoh/Pentax does not spend money on advertising.

04-19-2016, 04:06 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
This then simply means Ricoh/Pentax has gone into a sponsored relationship with TIPA.
Strange, I was led to believe Ricoh/Pentax does not spend money on advertising.
the key word here is assume....
04-19-2016, 04:28 AM   #48
Pentaxian

That's indirect, undifferenciating and vulgar advertisssement... where others do perform quite better (having 2 trophys), btw...
04-19-2016, 04:36 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
the key word here is assume....
If the assumption is levied against other manufacturers then it must equally be levied against Pentax.

O.K. we can now assume a Ricoh/Pentax sponsorship exists.

04-19-2016, 04:48 AM   #50
Pentaxian

If the assumption is levied against other manufacturers then it must equally be levied against Pentax.

O.K. we can now assume a Ricoh/Pentax sponsorship exists.
You can. I won't. This is as much to sell magazines than it is to promote camera's. Companies probably have to pay for use of the logo in advertising:

QuoteOriginally posted by TIPA:
Use of the logo
Winning companies are free to announce their award in press releases, technical papers or on their websites. However, the use of the TIPA Awards logo in advertising, promotional publications, packaging, etc, is only permitted if the Awards logo conditions-of-use are accepted by the product manufacturer.
http://www.tipa.com/english/the_logo.html

If companies had to pay for awards, they'd comprise the already not so believable 'contest' plus there aren't enough companies for them to levy a fee to get picked

Last edited by D1N0; 04-19-2016 at 04:59 AM.
04-19-2016, 05:06 AM   #51
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
These awards almost covered all the new products in photo industry...
Aye... but at least we won something.
04-19-2016, 05:08 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
You can. I won't
I don't either, I was just trying to point out how silly "FantasticMrFox's" statement was.
Sorry FantasticMrFox

04-19-2016, 05:08 AM   #53
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Maybe they'll give it the Nobel Peace Prize next?
Well at least a peace prize... as it's stopped all the "will they, wont they" introduce a FF here on the forum.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 04-19-2016 at 05:20 AM.
04-19-2016, 05:14 AM   #54
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
it's sample size is 144 MP
Wow, thanks Norm... must slip that one into casual conversation when I'm next in the Canikon fan boy arena.
04-19-2016, 05:18 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
as it's stopped all the "will they, wont they" introduce a FF here on the forum
The Pentax Peace Prize?

Mind you, given the arguments it's started in other ways (too many megapixels or not enough, typical terrible Pentax AF, not enough focus points, lack of 4K video, lack of appropriate lenses, lack of this, that or the other, presence of a mirror, Pentax is (still) Doomed, etc. etc), perhaps "Not peace but a sword" would be just as appropriate!
04-19-2016, 05:21 AM   #56
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The Pentax Peace Prize?
Aye the Nobel Peace Prize for tranquility resumed on the Pentax forum.

I for one, will be a happy bunny to be getting "hands on" soon.
04-19-2016, 05:31 AM   #57
Pentaxian

There will be no peace until the early adopters on this forum have got their hands on the production model and shot it and told us what they think. It will be particularly interesting to hear @kenspo once he's wrung out the production version and can tell us what (if anything) has changed from the development batch example he got to shoot.
04-19-2016, 05:43 AM   #58
Pentaxian

When you think of what a camera has to do for a guy like me, I don't see how this camera can fail. As long as Pentax does their usual "IQ first" everything else is an ad on, I don't see how it can fail.
04-19-2016, 05:51 AM   #59
Veteran Member

I don't either, I was just trying to point out how silly "FantasticMrFox's" statement was.
Sorry FantasticMrFox
I was not saying that companies are paying for awards, and neither was I saying I am sure about anything.

But apart from awarding prizes, TIPA is an industry organisation of initially European, now global photography magazines. I know that similar collaborative organisations of independent companies are often heavily sponsored by suppliers of goods to these companies, not always directly in monetary terms, but often by paying for travel and accommodation for annual meetings etc.

With the current state of paper magazines and traditional journalism I doubt TIPA just survives on its own, rather I find it likely that many camera makers chip in here and there and support them as a whole (but don't specifically pay for awards), and TIPA is trying to keep everybody happy by handing out awards like Oprah is handing out presents.

That's my hypothesis.
04-19-2016, 06:03 AM   #60
Pentaxian

It's maybe some "classical" partnership in that sense : you pay your annual subscription, we will award your novelties and allow you to use our Logo in any advert you want...
Just business as usual.

@Schraubstock : i like your PPP slogan. Do you charge fees for re-use ?