Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2016, 08:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More hints of possible Ricoh Fuji collaboratoin?

We've heard previously of possible Ricoh-Fuji collaboration for mirrorless in a few years... Is this another sign of possible collaboration? A bit of a stretch, but maybe...

Fujifilm X-T2?s Screen Could Be Similar To The Pentax K1 | Ubergizmo

04-19-2016, 08:43 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Of course everyone is going to want to copy Pentax's brilliant design :P

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-19-2016, 09:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd love to see Fuji and Ricoh pitch in together. Fuji do a lot of interesting things, they keep on painting outside the lines.
04-19-2016, 09:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Fuji looks like it's turned at an angle greater than is possible with the K-1.

04-19-2016, 11:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Such a collaboration could bring something that I consider strictly necessary for Pentax development. Independence from Sony sensors. Lets not forget, that K-1 is using a sensor which is basically the same with the 4 years old Nikon 800, and Sony A7r. Far behind the new sensors present in Sony A7r II.
04-20-2016, 12:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

...but Fuji also depends 100% on Sony sensors... they just replace bayer layer with X-trans layer.
04-20-2016, 12:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
...but Fuji also depends 100% on Sony sensors... they just replace bayer layer with X-trans layer.
That's something I didn't know.

04-20-2016, 12:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I wouldn't say the 36MP sensors are "far behind" the 42MP one, except perhaps in supporting 4K video, and on-sensor autofocus
If I were to look at DXOMark, the 42MP A7R II might have a noise advantage at higher ISO over D800 and D810; but let's see the K-1 in action. After all, Pentax has that substrate thingie, right?

By the way, I think that a 42MP K-1 might have been possible - for about 50% more $$$. There's no free lunch.
04-20-2016, 04:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I think Pentax flexible lcd will be the standard lcd for future generations.
04-20-2016, 05:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Such a collaboration could bring something that I consider strictly necessary for Pentax development. Independence from Sony sensors. Lets not forget, that K-1 is using a sensor which is basically the same with the 4 years old Nikon 800, and Sony A7r. Far behind the new sensors present in Sony A7r II.
But that's because Ricoh decided to go down the low price point road with the K-1. They surely could have had the newer 42 MP one if they wanted to. I doubt Sony is deliberately keeping the goodies from Pentax.
04-20-2016, 05:26 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
I think Pentax flexible lcd will be the standard lcd for future generations.
I'm going out on a limb here, since I haven't (of course) actually handled one yet, but. . . I hope not. It seems like a needless complication. Who ordered this?

I don't even like the "fully articulated" screens that other camera companies seem to be shifting towards. They seem awkward to me. A simple mechanism that tilts upward or downward is my preference. Maybe the flagship cameras will get the flex-screen and the economy models will get a simpler tilt screen? Olympus seem to be going down that route already, with the E-M5 Mk. 2 (fully articulated) versus E-M10 Mk. 2 (tilting) screens.
04-20-2016, 06:30 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I doubt it is... but it would be awesome if the LCD screen was easily replaceable, so if you ever snapped it off, you could just plug a new one in. Or detachable, so if it snags on something, you just pop it back on.
04-20-2016, 06:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm sorry if I didn't understand it properly but what can Pentax gain by partnering with Fuji?
The shutter time wheel (already on film cameras)? x-trans (no-thanks)?

IMHO it's Fuji who has a lot to gain and not so much to give (except maybe cash)...
04-20-2016, 06:40 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Long time back I suggested a dream screen that could be unplugged then tethered with a cord. Of course, such an innovation would appeal to a stiff-legged oldster such as I who still wants ground-level perspective from time to time.
04-20-2016, 06:41 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I guess Pentax (or rather Ricoh Imaging) is supposed to "fix" all that's "wrong" with the other brands. It should make FF Fuji and m4/3 MILCs, save the Samsung NX, make a Sony A7 which is a joy to use...

By the way, I don't think the LCD mechanisms are similar; as geomez said, the Fuji one can be turned further than the K-1's. Perhaps they're using some hinges.