Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 11:08 PM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
At least Sony manufacturing MF sensors and Fuji is making lenses for Hasselblad(Not for MF mirrorless camera) and made their own MF before. Samsung was planning MF camera few years ago but they are gone now. Most cameras from Japanese companies tend to be much cheaper than Europe companies. It is possible to make MF mirrorless in cheap price. I know that MF lenses need to be high quality so can't guarantee the price. However, they can make MF mirrorless cameras cheaper than Hasselblad, Phase one, and Leica. Look how cheap Pentax 645Z it is. Hasselblad mirrorless camera is still expansive compare to 645Z even the components size is very differ.
The larger the sensor / film the less required from a lens to get excellent results. The aberrations and glitches that might rest over a dozen apsc pixels are only going to fall on a few pixels on medium format. It astonishes me what mf lenses sell for. My guess is the low volume and higher material costs (bigger elements, etc.) contribute to this high pricing.

06-24-2016, 12:14 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Hasselblad X1D vs Sony A7r II vs Canon 5DS vs Pentax 645D: Size Comparison

This is how small Hasselblad X1D is.

It would be awesome and great if Pentax/Ricoh develop mirrorless version of FF and MF cameras.
X1D is cool camera, and it's great that Hasselblad has designed a mirrorless MF system, but does it have enough advantages over FF cameras?
The biggest advantage of the smaller size it when using the camera handheld, but FF camera like K1 and A7r II might be better suited for handheld shooting as they have image stabilization, and also have faster lenses available for low light situations.

The sensor in X1D may give 0.7 stop advantage in DR and noise over a FF sensor, but image stabilization on FF may give up to 4 stops advantage over the sensor used in X1D.
X1D might have to be used on tripod or in studio with flash to show its full potential, but then the size of the camera might not be that important.

X1D will most likely be very successful for Hasselblad, but I'm not sure mirrorless MF is the best way for Pentax in the near future. Pentax already have more compact systems.
06-24-2016, 07:55 AM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did Hasselblad ever show the H1 adapter for their existing lenses? It is mentioned a few places but I haven't seen it mounted yet.
06-24-2016, 08:01 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Did Hasselblad ever show the H1 adapter for their existing lenses? It is mentioned a few places but I haven't seen it mounted yet.
Nope it is still unseen, but the price is known.
Hasselblad XH Lens Adapter H-3025000 B&H Photo Video

06-24-2016, 08:11 AM   #110
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
X1D is cool camera, and it's great that Hasselblad has designed a mirrorless MF system, but does it have enough advantages over FF cameras?
The biggest advantage of the smaller size it when using the camera handheld, but FF camera like K1 and A7r II might be better suited for handheld shooting as they have image stabilization, and also have faster lenses available for low light situations.

The sensor in X1D may give 0.7 stop advantage in DR and noise over a FF sensor, but image stabilization on FF may give up to 4 stops advantage over the sensor used in X1D.
X1D might have to be used on tripod or in studio with flash to show its full potential, but then the size of the camera might not be that important.

X1D will most likely be very successful for Hasselblad, but I'm not sure mirrorless MF is the best way for Pentax in the near future. Pentax already have more compact systems.
Well, basically X1D use leaf shutter only. Yup, no focal plane shutter or electronic shutter. If you ever used leaf shutter lens, you will know how quite, less vib, and reliable it is. Leaf shutter is some what Leica M series that you can still take pics at 1/15. But we need to try the camera first cause this is just a speculation. I'm going to try that camera on next week so I can give you more clear answer about leaf shutter.

Also, this camera is for studio works with studio strobes by syncing at high shutter speed. 1/2000 with iso 100 is not enough to use at outdoor. Not sure about the battery but mirrorless+MF sensor will consume much much power.

For now, I guess leaf shutter will provide quite sound, much less vibration, and no moving parts in camera. Current mirrorless cameras are having issues with mechanical shutter because of its size and limitation. But Hasselblad solved this issue by using leaf shutter lens instead of mechanical shutter in body. It would be great to have an electronic shutter but they don't. Anyway, IT IS a game changer unless the price is cheaper. Leaf shutter is a brilliant idea for mirrorless camera. But max shutter speed is 1/2000 which is quite bad. Hasselblad should've support iso from iso 25 or iso 12 due to the max shutter speed.

I'll let you know after I try out X1D on next week. It's not a production model but at least I can try if leaf shutter is worth it or not.
06-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #111
Veteran Member

I see one of the best things would be access to the Fuji lens line-up. They seem to be doing great designs for digital imaging.

Leaf shutters allows flash at ANY shutter speed.
06-24-2016, 09:22 AM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeverettfine Quote
I see one of the best things would be access to the Fuji lens line-up. They seem to be doing great designs for digital imaging.

Leaf shutters allows flash at ANY shutter speed.

Yep but those who don't care about flash will rant about slow shutter speed.

06-25-2016, 01:01 AM   #113

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yep but those who don't care about flash will rant about slow shutter speed.
I don't think so... with the aperture of the lenses proposed, 1/2000th should be no problem. With the 645Z, I don't remember having used 1/4000th ever.
06-25-2016, 07:03 AM   #114
Veteran Member

There is no indication from the link that there is any hinted collaboration between Ricoh and Fujifilm. Just the supposed angle of the screen of the supposed Fujifilm X-T2. I would like to see Ricoh collaborate with Fuji and to share a lens mount, that would be cool, but I think its wishful thinking. Fuji is more in with Nikon, I think Fujifilm had rebadged Nikon DSLR's some years ago.
06-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #115
ogl
Banned

The sensor in X1D may give 0.7 stop advantage in DR and noise over a FF sensor, .

14EV vs 13.9 EV

Sony A7R II : Tests and Reviews - DxOMark
as for noise - I think A7RII is better.

50 MP vs 42 MP - X1D is a bit better in terms of details
06-25-2016, 11:53 AM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
14EV vs 13.9 EV

X1D use the same sensor as 645Z which scored 14,7 EV on DxOmark. (and 645Z scored about 1/3 stop better in noise).
Pentax 645Z Ranked Highest by DxOMark - Photo Industry News | PentaxForums.com
But we have to wait to see how X1D score on DxOmark.

The reason why I mensioned 0.7 stop is that the sensor in X1D and 645Z is 1.7x the sizer of FF sensor.
06-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #117
ogl
Banned

X1D use the same sensor as 645Z which scored 14,7 EV on DxOmark. .
The results depends on brand. The specs of X1D says till 14EV. Need time to see real results.
06-25-2016, 07:25 PM   #118
rlatjsrud

X1D use the same sensor as 645Z which scored 14,7 EV on DxOmark. (and 645Z scored about 1/3 stop better in noise).

The reason why I mensioned 0.7 stop is that the sensor in X1D and 645Z is 1.7x the sizer of FF sensor.
They removed 645z already from their site. So the test score is officially gone. 14.7 EV is not official DR also. Most of sites from google mentioned that 645Z has 14EV.
06-26-2016, 02:16 AM   #119
Veteran Member

14EV vs 13.9 EV

The results depends on brand. The specs of X1D says till 14EV. Need time to see real results.
The Hasselblad remains untested.
06-26-2016, 03:29 AM   #120
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
The Hasselblad remains untested.
645Z too