Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2016, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If a small team like Pentax took as much time as the 70-200 to develop the other two Holy Trinity lenses the FF would be another two years away.

Correct decision by that executive to outsource, for mine - look at all the people who've preordered and are now neurotic about whether delivery will be this week or that week. ☺

04-22-2016, 04:09 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wrong finger! :P

I wonder if Pentax marketing understands how this might be misinterpreted over here in the west:

:P

Michael
04-22-2016, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canicon crowd might find it offensive? Me, no problem with it at all
04-22-2016, 04:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice read. I was particularly encouraged by the recognition of film era lenses and the emphasis paid on standards back then. Yes, the image nowdays is a different (digital) as isthe focus (sharp across the image) but the same film era principles remain evident - produce the best. As indicated there will be improvements in optical performance with the DFA lenses simply because of the new element types, but, Ithe logic demonstrated by Pentax in this piece indicates to me that they are simply producing 'better' on what was already regarding as excellent.

Happy days for those who indulge in Pentax lenses, old or new.

04-22-2016, 05:13 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I wonder if Pentax marketing understands how this might be misinterpreted over here in the west:

Michael
Honestly I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out.
04-22-2016, 06:39 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote

Michael
"Same to you, buddy!"

04-22-2016, 07:31 PM   #22

Interesting to see the K-S1 DNA in the K-1 get acknowledged -- I thought the UI looked familiar. A bit like how how Pentax's first flip-out screen showed up on the lowly X-5, then the M-X1 and finally in the 645Z. Seems like nothing gets wasted.

I'm really liking the K-1 microsite. Kind of insightful. I get the impression that the team responsible for it worked hard to make the camera and is very proud of what they achieved and want to share their excitement. (Reminds me of the interviews done by Dave Etchells at Imaging Resource...) It seems very in keeping with the qualities and approach that we all appreciate about Pentax.

04-23-2016, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's not that much bigger - compared with the current 70-200mm lenses, it's not the longest (but registration distances will influence the lengths), and it's diameter is only 6mm larger than the smallest comparable lens (the Tamron), and 3mm than the largest (the Canon).
The difference is in weight.
Side by Side Comparison: Digital Photography Review
An observation about what that site says about the Pentax version:

For the Pentax 70-200mm it says ""Zoom method: Rotary (extending)"; and "Zoom lock: Yes".

Neither is correct. It has internal zooming (unlike the D FA 24-70mm and 150-450mm lenses), and no zoom lock (unlike the D FA 24-70mm and 150-450mm lenses).

(I have all three of them. I just double-checked!)
04-23-2016, 02:47 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
An observation about what that site says about the Pentax version:

For the Pentax 70-200mm it says ""Zoom method: Rotary (extending)"; and "Zoom lock: Yes".

Neither is correct. It has internal zooming (unlike the D FA 24-70mm and 150-450mm lenses), and no zoom lock (unlike the D FA 24-70mm and 150-450mm lenses).

(I have all three of them. I just double-checked!)
If you get the 15-30 as well, Barry, you'll be ready for any assignment National Geographic hire you for!
04-23-2016, 03:27 AM - 4 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If you get the 15-30 as well, Barry, you'll be ready for any assignment National Geographic hire you for!
Chuckle!

My one claim to fame is that National Geographic once found and bought one of my photos!

It was this one, taken in the Galapagos Islands in 1995, with a Pentax SFXn and Pentax-F 70-210mm lens .

Published in the Dutch Language edition of December 2003, page XI.

I think it says something that they've never come back for more!
04-23-2016, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote

I think it says something that they've never come back for more!
People should click on the link to see Barry"s great shot of a red-throated frigate bird heading home in the Galapagos, which he sold to National Geographic.

My best chance at something similar would be to shoot a red-haired Danny Bonaduce staggering back to his HumVee outside a Hooters, which I'd sell to the National Enquirer. ☺

04-23-2016, 01:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My best chance at something similar would be to shoot a red-haired Danny Bonaduce staggering back to his HumVee outside a Hooters, which I'd sell to the National Enquirer. ☺
Well, the pay is probably better!
04-23-2016, 08:53 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
"Same to you, buddy!"

its not 2 up day till tomorrow!

04-24-2016, 02:29 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by Snappertim Quote
IBIS is the future, if Panasonis are working both systems then I suspect OIS is on the way out, IBIS is better at its basic function and the added bonus' of AA filter, shift lens, High Pixel, and Dust removal are just to good to ignore and as this becomes apparent to Nikon/Canon users the temptation to go IBIS will be irisitable, lets not forget Nikon/Canon started OIS in the film era and setled on OIS because IBIS was out of the question in a film camera, as any flexing of the film would have lead to striations and destruction of the negative surface, Pentax and Olympus and Sony all broke lucky by being late in, and during the digital era, IBIS works on all lens' and if a lens is designed for IBIS the size can be reduced.
Saying "IBIS is the future" is quite a bold statement. Which I don't mind, as long as you have valid arguments. And to be honest, I think you don't entirely succeed there. Dust removal is possible with non-IBIS cameras too. Even with Pentax IBIS, the sensor itself is no longer shaken. That was only the case with older cameras like the K100D Super I had. But since DR II made its appearance, Pentax has moved to ultrasonic vibrations that move a very thin and light filter that sits in front of the imaging sensor (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_reduction_system). Look it up; you'll see Canon and Nikon DSLRs also provide dust removal systems. Also, IBIS does not stabilize the image in the viewfinder, or what the AF or metering sensor see, while OIS does.

Also, don't forget Fuji, who started the X-series well into the digital era, and they choose OIS too. Same with Panasonic MFT. So arguing that OIS is a leftover from the analog days, and that everyone would have chosen IBIS if they could reinvent their systems based on that point, is a far stretch. Especially given the fact that OIS does some things IBIS simply can't do.

Btw, about Panasonic MFT apparently moving to IBIS: that actually makes sense if you consider that mirrorless cameras don't have an optical viewfinder or an off-sensor autofocus array or metering sensor. Everything, from metering to focusing to creating the viewfinder image, is done through the image sensor. So there's less of a drawback to choosing IBIS for a mirrorless platform.

I think it's rather two different philosophies. Pick the one you think it's best, but please don't go shouting "this or that is the future" and giving (some) incorrect arguments. Personally, I think IBIS is more versatile, but OIS provides advantages to pure stabilization, at least with traditional DSLRs.

Last edited by starbase218; 04-24-2016 at 03:37 AM.
04-24-2016, 07:19 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Also, IBIS does not stabilize the image in the viewfinder, or what the AF or metering sensor see, while OIS does.
You mention stabilized viewfinder as if it was an advantage. I have to disagree with that. Stabilization can be done within certain limits of sensor or lens movemens (1,5mm in all directions for Pentax IBIS). That means that if the camera is held less stable by the photographer, its more likely that more shots are out of reach for the stabilizer (OIS or IBIS). Now, why do I assume OIS causes the camera to be shaken more? The human body uses two sensory systems to hold the balance. A balance unit in each ear (I don’t know the English name), and two eyes. If the impression for those two systems conflict, lets say if you are reading while being a passenger in a car on a bumpy road, or staying inside a boat, the conflicting sense between the eyes and the balance units will make you dissy and carsick or seasick. Different people are constructed differently. Some people rely more on the balance unit then the eyes. Some the other way around. Some quite equal. Its almost like someone being left handed and some right handed. thats why some people easily get seasick and others don’t. Those people that rely on the visible image to hold the balance (almost all people do to some extent), will get a confusing image when they view through a stabilized viewfinder (OIS). They will keep their balance worse compared to using a non stabilized viewfinder (IBIS).

In short, OIS confuses the brains balancing sense and results in more physical camera shake. That may result in more images that exceed the stabilizers capability.

For the second point, stabilized image at the AF and metering unit, sounds like a positive advantage. I don't know if makes a real life difference in some cases, but if so, its a positive real life advantage. IF this is a real advantage for OIS, I still doubt that its important enough to compete with the long list of IBIS advantages. Astrotracing, horizon correction, composition correction, pixel shift resolution, AA filter simulator and more.

Last edited by Simen1; 04-24-2016 at 07:43 AM.