Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2016, 12:14 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Just use an USB drive, rename it to S-SW90 (content is irrelevant).

06-05-2016, 05:44 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Just use an USB drive, rename it to S-SW90 (content is irrelevant).
Thanks for the answer but i did that, rename the downloaded file to S-SW90 but still it didnt work. Auto install say it xant find the target files and quit the instalation

06-05-2016, 06:24 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just tried to install it over version 4 and it worked. First it said it couldn't find an upgradeable version but then I could go on and install it anyway. I had changed the files in the Pentax DCU 4 directory by renaming them to 50 instead of 40. Maybe that did it. You have to rename them back to 40 to be able to de install version 4.
06-05-2016, 08:02 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Thanks for the answer but i did that, rename the downloaded file to S-SW90 but still it didnt work. Auto install say it xant find the target files and quit the instalation
No, don't rename the downloaded file; insert an USB stick and rename that (the USB drive/partition name) to S-SW90.

06-05-2016, 08:34 AM   #20
Pentaxian

When you run the install if it doesn't find the disk it is looking for it tells you the name. Just rename the removable drive to that and run again. S-SW140 for DCU 5 I believe.
06-05-2016, 09:06 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No, don't rename the downloaded file; insert an USB stick and rename that (the USB drive/partition name) to S-SW90.
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
When you run the install if it doesn't find the disk it is looking for it tells you the name. Just rename the removable drive to that and run again. S-SW140 for DCU 5 I believe.
Ohhhhh.... I will do that this afternoon when i get the laptop again, if everything fail, i will make an ISO from the CD and use a virtual CDdrive as last resort, is just strange that Ricoh dont put the software more "user friendly", i remember i download the software for the K30 and everything was just install>next>next.

Thanks for the help

06-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Look at the bright side: Pentax is using a really dumbed down "protection" system, so it doesn't really stop us from anything.
06-26-2016, 09:28 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Its been a while since i ask about the files to download, i just re-check and Ricoh still only have to download the "updater" and no the "base files" of the software, anyway if someone have a laptop that doenst have CD-Drive here are the .iso of the CD that came with the K1 (S-SW162)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0zIsvr1xyg9ZGRvWl9Rd01wdU0/view?usp=sharing

If you dont know how this works, you need a software who can work as a virtual cd drive, like the free version of "Alcohol 120%" or the freeware "Virtual CloneDrive", install any of them and open the ISO file from the program, that should do the work.

Last edited by virusn3t; 06-26-2016 at 09:37 PM.
06-27-2016, 12:21 AM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Its been a while since i ask about the files to download, i just re-check and Ricoh still only have to download the "updater" and no the "base files" of the software, anyway if someone have a laptop that doenst have CD-Drive here are the .iso of the CD that came with the K1 (S-SW162)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0zIsvr1xyg9ZGRvWl9Rd01wdU0/view?usp=sharing

If you dont know how this works, you need a software who can work as a virtual cd drive, like the free version of "Alcohol 120%" or the freeware "Virtual CloneDrive", install any of them and open the ISO file from the program, that should do the work.
On Windows 8.1 and newer, ISOs can natively be mounted via the right-click menu. On Windows 7 I've used virtual clonedrive.

I also had to create an ISO for my new windows 10 laptop, which likewise lacks a CD drive.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Odd, I just installed the update downloaded from Ricoh's support page on Windows 7 (used the flash drive trick), Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 - all professional versions. On Windows 8.1 (fresh install on a Virtual Machine) and Windows 10 after the install says it can't find the previous version CD when I press OK I can then click on NEXT, NEXT and INSTALL and it installs without the CD or the flash drive trick.

See video captures I made of the installation.

06-28-2016, 04:59 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Windows 10 after the install says it can't find the previous version CD when I press OK I can then click on NEXT, NEXT and INSTALL and it installs without the CD or the flash drive trick.
Finally some quirk in windows 10 that works to our advantage
06-28-2016, 05:15 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Finally some quirk in windows 10 that works to our advantage
It does the same in Windows 8.1.
06-28-2016, 05:20 AM   #28
Pentaxian

It does the same in Windows 8.1.
Yeah, basically microsoft introduced an alternate interface layer on it's OS with windows 8. In win 10 it's been made less prominent, but it remains a system based on two different thoughts, like up until Windows ME windows was just a layer over MS-DOS.