Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2016, 08:14 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I would be hesitant to believe that Ricoh will introduce a fourth mounting system. They already have the Q, K, and 645 systems to sustain. A fourth could take away precious resources from existing systems. Ricoh has stated that their mirrorless solution is the Q system. So, unless they plan to abandon the Q in favor of something else I don't think we'll see a larger sensor system.

Then again, who knows? We're all just guessing here.
I think eventually thy'll have a system above the 645--like the old 67 system. Personally I'd suggest a mirrorless 67 with a registration distance of ~60mm. That way the 645 takes over the studio shooting, while the 67 can venture into the high end wedding & landscape shooting. They'd need a very wide diameter mount to ease the angle of incoming light at the edges of the sensor and I'd advocate for in-lens leaf shutters to minimize body depth and noise. I'd suggest a lense lineup of ultrawide, wide, short normal, and short tele with possible fisheye, macro, and shift specialty lenses. Of course I'd never be able to afford such a system, but it would be the holy grail of photo hounds!

04-28-2016, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe some sort of ILC GR system?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-29-2016, 12:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
aren’t we getting GR with fuji bayonet?
I think q with 1” sensor must focus on WR lens line...
04-29-2016, 12:42 AM   #19
Pentaxian

With phones dominating the pns market, 1" is the logical way forward.

I'd love to see it so long as its still Q mount and I can use my current lenses in crop mode.

04-29-2016, 01:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I'd love to see it so long as its still Q mount and I can use my current lenses in crop mode.
That would be great!
04-29-2016, 04:15 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Adam, could you be aware of something?
04-29-2016, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
With phones dominating the pns market, 1" is the logical way forward.

Not me.
I bought mine because the greater "magnification"/crop from its tiny sensor gives me a better look into the birding world, the sort of thing I would otherwise get from a Canon SX-50 or a Nikon P-900. I kept hoping for greater reach {than the 06} from native lenses, but if I have to do it with adapted lenses I'll do it that way as long as my Q-7 works. But, for me, a larger sensor is exactly the wrong way - backwards not forwards.

04-29-2016, 06:25 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It's the throat diameter that matters.
Sure, but the Q mount diameter is only typically proportioned to its registration distance.
04-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Moving to a 1" sensor would be result in a big IQ improvement over a 1/1.7" sensor....although not as good as m4/3
04-29-2016, 10:46 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Moving to a 1" sensor would be result in a big IQ improvement over a 1/1.7" sensor....although not as good as m4/3
I have a Panasonic GM1 and a Pentax Q7. In good light you can't tell the photos from the two cameras apart. And DxO scores for the cameras corroborate my findings.

M43 is a bit of a puzzle - they don't benefit from Sony sensors as much as other sizes. The top M43 cameras are just now starting to catch up with the 12MP sensor in the Pentax K-x.

That said, Panasonic does great video and I've pre-ordered the new GX85 with 4k video and 5-axis image stabilization.
04-29-2016, 11:13 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My iPhone will also do well in good light.

But one of the key advantages of a larger sensor, when all else is equal, is superior low light performance. And, one can never get enough of that....

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I have a Panasonic GM1 and a Pentax Q7. In good light you can't tell the photos from the two cameras apart. And DxO scores for the cameras corroborate my findings.

M43 is a bit of a puzzle - they don't benefit from Sony sensors as much as other sizes. The top M43 cameras are just now starting to catch up with the 12MP sensor in the Pentax K-x.

That said, Panasonic does great video and I've pre-ordered the new GX85 with 4k video and 5-axis image stabilization.
04-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #27
Veteran Member

But one of the key advantages of a larger sensor, when all else is equal, is superior low light performance. And, one can never get enough of that....
I have one of the best smartphone cameras on the market right now - the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with a fast F1.7 lens and RAW capability. It's image quality is quite good but not a match for M43 under any lighting condition. The 1/1.7 Q is everywhere except low light.

So maybe your prior statement should be "big low light improvement over 1/1.7 sensor" not "big IQ improvement over 1/1.7 sensor".
04-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Every camera is a compromise of some kind. Pentax already has the entire K-mount family to provide good to wonderful low light performance {in larger packages}, so someone focusing on low light performance should go there. If Pentax follows your suggestion, ultimately they would be leaving the current "Q" niche, buying slightly better low light performance at the cost of larger lenses {later if not immediately}, leaving a niche they have to themselves to compete directly with Nikon. One could make the same argument, saying that the "Q" family should be replaced {or supplemented} by an MFT line, thereby competing with Olympus and Panasonic. Considering the success {of lack thereof} of the Nikon One family, I'm not convinced that Ricoh would get a good return from the required R&D expense for a 1" line - MFT makes very slightly more sense.
04-30-2016, 04:55 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Not me.
I bought mine because the greater "magnification"/crop from its tiny sensor gives me a better look into the birding world, the sort of thing I would otherwise get from a Canon SX-50 or a Nikon P-900. I kept hoping for greater reach {than the 06} from native lenses, but if I have to do it with adapted lenses I'll do it that way as long as my Q-7 works. But, for me, a larger sensor is exactly the wrong way - backwards not forwards.
Absolutely right. Great for this, especially when you need more reach:

Tasty Treat
by Aaron, on Flickr

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote

I'm not sure I agree with daylight quality, having also returned to M43 with a GM1 (and a 20mm/45mm combination). I agree that the video from Panny is great, and am also thinking about the GX85.
05-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #30

On no .... not yet. My Q-S1 is hardly out of the box. I can't keep up with the constant change.....:-) :-)