Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 176 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've been somewhat (ok, *really*) lax in my moderatorial duties, so let me attempt to address or re-address some points.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanD63 Quote
Is it still possible to get in on this?
Of course! Any forum member that donates is welcome to throw their name in the hat at any time. There are currently 21 people in line, so there's plenty of time before the camera will get to the end of the line. Let's keep this going as long as we can.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Question: Are we limiting our lens use to the one mounted on it, or, are we going to encourage the use of as many lenses as possible. I favour the latter and we should document each lens mounted on it.
I already answered this one, but you're welcome to use any/all lenses at your disposal, however it will come equipped with a M50/1.7 just in case. Please don't forget to send the M50 along with the camera if you decide to use something else.

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
What kind of film did Eric use?
I think he used Kodak Ultramax.

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Are we all still supposed to adorn it with a small memento of its time in our hands?
It's voluntary, but if you want to stick a momento or adornment on the camera, it would be cool.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Details?
I had to return the camera to Eric because the shutter mechanism was behaving oddly. It apparently worked fine for him, but something happened in transit and it never worked right for me. Upon return, Eric said it was missing a spring... not sure how that happened, but it is fixed now.

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Can we get the itinerary put in the first post, for reference? The one that is there currently was superseded by the geographically-oriented route from Adam (I think), and that one is buried somewhere in the thread.
Done! And I'll try to keep it up to date this time. Please check the itinerary if you want to participate and make sure your name is on it. I added SpartanD53 and chickentender to the bottom of the list just a short while ago.

I'm done with the camera, so I'm going to ship it off to monochrome tomorrow. The journey begins! I ran a short hand-rolled roll of Kentmere 400 through it this weekend, and I'll develop and post in the next week or two.

Cheers!
JCD

07-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #122
Banned

This is a very cool idea! It's quite some time since I shot with film (over 10 years actually), so I may have to dust off my old Z-20 and get a bit of practice.

I'm not sure where I'll be in 6-12 months' time, so I won't sign on just yet. But I'll be on board at some point in the future, and I've sent my donation.
07-11-2016, 05:17 PM   #123
Veteran Member

As a momento from Australia, would it be really uncouth of me to add such flavour by replacing teh standard black leatherette with a fancy coloured genuine Kangaroo leatherette? I have done a couple of K1000s with similar modification and they look great. Of course, if acceptable, I would be guided by forum members as to the preferred colour.

outthere09 | eBay

I promise everyone I would do a real professional job!!!!

If in agreement then I would ask momentos from elsewhere to be placed on the metal parts of the camera or at least on teh leather after its install. IN fact this modification might make it easier for subsequent users to ad their momento as the leather used is smooth
07-11-2016, 05:36 PM   #124
Veteran Member

Kangaroo has a nice flavour @Wild Mark; 😉

07-11-2016, 06:04 PM   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Definitely needs to be lime green.
07-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since this 'Kaptivating K-Mount' traveling camera club has taken on a decidedly democratic bent compared to the 'Nifty Fifty' and 'Sightseeing Screwmount' I'll put this question to the group. The Kaptivating K-Mount currently has an M50/1.7 attached, a lens with a cult-like following at PentaxForums.

The M50/1.7 was released in 1977, just about a year after the K1000 was released, so it was likely a lens commonly used by early K1000 buyers. In 1979 the M50/2 was released. Later K1000 buyers - and likely many, many K1000 users such as my daughter's High School Newspaper / Yearbook staff and Photography Classes - learned on the M50/2.

So I'll ask the thread - are you nostalgic for what you learned on or have you always wondered what makes the 1.7 so special?

Do you want the M50/1.7 or the M50/2 to travel with the camera? I have one of each and I can send it on with either, as we vote.
07-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Since this 'Kaptivating K-Mount' traveling camera club has taken on a decidedly democratic bent compared to the 'Nifty Fifty' and 'Sightseeing Screwmount' I'll put this question to the group. The Kaptivating K-Mount currently has an M50/1.7 attached, a lens with a cult-like following at PentaxForums.

The M50/1.7 was released in 1977, just about a year after the K1000 was released, so it was likely a lens commonly used by early K1000 buyers. In 1979 the M50/2 was released. Later K1000 buyers - and likely many, many K1000 users such as my daughter's High School Newspaper / Yearbook staff and Photography Classes - learned on the M50/2.

So I'll ask the thread - are you nostalgic for what you learned on or have you always wondered what makes the 1.7 so special?

Do you want the M50/1.7 or the M50/2 to travel with the camera? I have one of each and I can send it on with either, as we vote.
Personally I've never found they 1.7, 2.0 or even 1.4 to be different enough to generate as much opinion as they seem to - I've gotten wonderful images from all three over the years but I have just the 1.4 these days simply for the extra stop of light. I'm happy with both or either, but I will say that since the K1000 is the most kommon kamera in the Pentaxianland, perhaps the most common lens should accompany it, which I would reckon would be the M50/2.

07-11-2016, 07:03 PM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Definitely needs to be lime green.
I will take that as a yes from you

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
No nostalgia from me. The M50/1.7 is the better choice, but, the limitation may ultimately be the focus screen in the camera and ability to use f1.7 effectively. I can't comment on this, just asking the question.
07-11-2016, 07:52 PM   #129
Veteran Member

As a momento from Australia, would it be really uncouth of me to add such flavour by replacing teh standard black leatherette with a fancy coloured genuine Kangaroo leatherette? I have done a couple of K1000s with similar modification and they look great. Of course, if acceptable, I would be guided by forum members as to the preferred colour.

outthere09 | eBay

If in agreement then I would ask momentos from elsewhere to be placed on the metal parts of the camera or at least on teh leather after its install. IN fact this modification might make it easier for subsequent users to ad their momento as the leather used is smooth
Though it's not my camera going around, I think that that would be a neat momento from the land down under.
I'm still trying to decide what I'll do when it gets to my stop on its journey.
07-11-2016, 08:02 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanD63 Quote
Though it's not my camera going around, I think that that would be a neat momento from the land down under.
I'm still trying to decide what I'll do when it gets to my stop on its journey.
is that lime green pledge from you?
07-11-2016, 08:10 PM   #131
Veteran Member

is that lime green pledge from you?
Nope, that wasn't me, but any bright, unusual color would just scream that it was something special
07-11-2016, 09:30 PM   #132
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

outthere09 | eBay

Do yo have any photos of the cameras you have already done? I'm interested in seeing what they look like.
07-12-2016, 01:53 AM   #133
Veteran Member

I will upload my 'gun metal grey' version soon (tonight

---------- Post added 07-12-16 at 06:54 PM ----------

I used scrap leather in the craft drawer for that job, not the Kangaroo leather. The leatehr was about 1.5-2 mm thick so not perfectly suitable - not like the Kangaroo leather which is much thinner.
07-12-2016, 03:11 AM - 2 Likes   #134
Veteran Member

K1000 makeover with gun metal grey leather

OK, this is my first attempt at replacing an ailing leatherette (or absence thereof). I share this mainly to exhibit the proposal I am making regarding the 'Kaptivating K1000' soon to arrive in Australia (i.e. I would like to give it an Australian makeover using Kangaroo leather).

---------- Post added 07-12-16 at 08:12 PM ----------

As a suggestion, perhaps, a 'like' to approve of a makeover or a post to not approve with thoughts.

---------- Post added 07-12-16 at 08:16 PM ----------

Note: the leather used was thicker than 2mm making it very hard to fit like the original leatherette (only 0.5mm of there abouts). The Kangaroo leather is about 1mm thick and would be quite amenable to this job. So I do expect edge finishing to be much cleaner with the Kangaroo leather. Also, the operation is completely reversible if it is not appreciated. Perhaps I could do one one prior to getting the K1000 and post for comment. In that case I would request consensus on the leather colour.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Wild Mark; 07-12-2016 at 03:16 AM.
07-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #135
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Still in agreement. Still voting lime green.