Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2016, 06:18 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kaptivating K-Mount Traveling K1000

Adam recently gave away an extra K1000 that was in less than stellar shape, and I am the lucky recipient. Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/36-sold-items/320118-sale-sold-free-penta...#ixzz47b4lKj3m

My original plan was to run a couple of rolls through, then put the camera back on the Marketplace, for free, in a couple of weeks, but then monochrome came up with a better idea: "Start a 'Kaptivating K-mount' traveling K1000 thread?" That's awesome! Let's make it a community event!

So, here's my proposal. First, the camera needs some TLC before it goes on a potentially never-ending world-wide journey. Let's raise funds to have the camera sent to Eric for a full makeover!

To get on the list to shoot with this camera:
1. Pledge your $10 or $20+ donation here, using the standard PF donation system. (you will also get a forum account upgrade)
2. Post in this thread to notify Adam

The pledge reserves your spot in line for receipt of the Traveling K1000. The target should be about $100, since this camera has some parts missing that might run the total a bit higher than usual, and accounts for postage to send to Knoxville. Once we get enough scratch to send the camera, keep adding your names for a place in line to use the Kaptivating K-Mount Traveling K1000.

The camera will come with a M 50mm F1.7. You can also use your own lens- just document what you're using so we'll know.

If you're interested in having a go, please add your name to the thread and the itinerary will be updated. We'll keep this going hopefully until the end of time!

We have a Flickr Group where you can post your pictures. You can also post your photos here, of course! If you run B/W film through and don't want to develop, send me your roll and I'll develop/scan and return your negs. I'm learning C-41 which is allegedly as simple as B/W, and once I get experience, I'll offer the same service for those films too. If anyone else wants to donate their darkroom skills, just speak up!

Finally, this is a film camera with lots of empty space all over the back and outside. Before you send the camera on to the next photographer, it might be cool to put a small memento of you, your hometown, or some brief words of wisdom on a sticker, and stick it on camera. When the camera reaches it's 100th recipient, it could be chock full of notes from our excellent forum members.

So, what do you say? I'll pledge the first $10, so only $90 to go. Lets beautify this thing and send it around the world!

Rules/Format for this project:
I will maintain the itinerary in this thread
Please list your location if it's not in your signature. I'll try and group the participants by continent.

Current User PM's next User for shipping address.
Current User posts to thread when shipped.
Next User posts to thread when received (+ courtesy PM to previous user)

Typical use time is two weeks
I will still volunteer to develop/scan B/W film for anyone using this camera at no cost. PM me for shipping info. I'll ship negs back to you at my cost.

Current User posts photos to Flickr Group and links (there is no flickr group yet... I'll start one when we have something to post)
Comments on Flickr or thread

Users can fortify/replace packing materials as needed. Please try to treat this camera as though it may be used 100 years from now!
Don't forget to add some personalization to the back of the camera if you like!

Here is the current itinerary! (modified 09JAN2017)
  1. Eric Hendrickson
  2. jcdoss
  3. monochrome US
  4. sbh EU
  5. gorme EU
  6. @robbiec EU
  7. Wild Mark AU
  8. Enigmatica AU
  9. petrol_pyro AU
  10. kp0c CA
  11. Mattcard CA
  12. Mamethot CA
  13. K David US
  14. mconwxdr US
  15. leekil US
  16. pathdoc CA
  17. g026r CA
  18. Rense EU
  19. nomolas EU
  20. cabstar EU
  21. daniel blues EU
  22. kickman CostaRica
  23. SpartanD63 US
  24. chickentender US
  25. Gareth.Ig CA
  26. OhioAngie (OH, USA, presumably)
  27. ???

Travelling K1000 on Flickr

Last edited by jcdoss; 01-12-2017 at 10:55 AM. Reason: added Flickr link
05-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This is a super cool idea. Let's move it to news and rumors for a bit more attention

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-04-2016, 02:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First in
05-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Good idea, but IMO a 50mm Pentax lens would be more "classic".

Chris
If enough people back this we should be able to make one happen

Edit: we've gotten a very generous donation of a 50mm F1.7 to accompany the camera!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just donated so i'm in but the donation link is to pentaxforums - is this correct?
05-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I just donated so i'm in but the donation link is to pentaxforums - is this correct?
Yes. I'll keep track of the donations dedicated to this project in this post:

So far we've received donations totaling $180.25 from:

-jcdoss
-monochrome
-wild mark
-kp0c
-sbh
-robbie c
-monochrome
-mconwxdr
-mamethot
-K David
-Enigmatica
-gorme
-Rense
-pathdoc
-gr026r
-nomolos
-Kickman
-petrol_pyro
-cabstar
-leekil
-SpartanD63

Adam

05-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #7
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice! Joining the journey...

05-04-2016, 04:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Donated to the CLA
05-04-2016, 04:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm definitely in - just donated through the link in the original post.
Awesome project.
05-04-2016, 04:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whatever happened to the traveling nifty 50?
05-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Just saw a post last week I think.
05-04-2016, 07:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oh! so this happened to the k1000, nice!
05-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Awesome response so far, everyone! Adam's keeping track of the cash, but based on the replies here, looks like we're at least half-way there already! I donated the $10 I pledged earlier, so that means we have at least $29.05 in the kitty (not counting sbh, robbiec, and kp0c's donations). Yay!!

So far, looks like the itinerary will be as follows:

---edited--

Last edited by jcdoss; 05-12-2016 at 08:41 AM.
05-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Sara - SeveralSnakes has it and is sending it to me tomorrow.
05-04-2016, 10:38 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Awesome response so far, everyone! Adam's keeping track of the cash, but based on the replies here, looks like we're at least half-way there already! I donated the $10 I pledged earlier, so that means we have at least $29.05 in the kitty (not counting sbh, robbiec, and kp0c's donations). Yay!!

So far, looks like the itinerary will be as follows:
Eric
Me
Monochrome
Wild Mark
sbh
robbiec
kp0c

Not sure if Ex Finn or sergysergy were interested in the camera or just commenting.
Sounds about right. I've updated the list and sum in post #6.

Adam