Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2016, 06:25 PM - 4 Likes   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K1000 has landed in St.Louis!

I received the camera from Jason today with a healthy supply of BW400CN included. My local Walgreens still does C-41!!

07-17-2016, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #137
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I received the camera from Jason today with a healthy supply of BW400CN included. My local Walgreens still does C-41!!
Awesome!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-26-2016, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Camera will ship to the next on the list - sbh - in tomorrow's USPS pickup. So it is starting it's semester abroad in the EU
07-27-2016, 12:20 AM   #139
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I estimate it will get to me around December. So after a bunch of summer photos from Australia and California, I can regale you all with snowdrifts. (though I guess a couple others will get it in the US before me.)

07-27-2016, 04:22 AM   #140
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Since I donated the BW400CN, I'm excited to see how it worked out for you.
07-28-2016, 01:48 PM   #141
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Photolady, I used my own Kentmere film and passed on all 10 rolls to monochrome.
07-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #142
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Photolady, I used my own Kentmere film and passed on all 10 rolls to monochrome.
That's good.
Is there going to be a different thread for the film photos to be uploaded or will it happen here?

07-28-2016, 02:04 PM   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't the other Traveling threads just use a Flickr account?
07-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #144
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I was planning to post mine here... but if someone wants to start a Flickr group, have at it!
07-28-2016, 03:13 PM   #145
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I was planning to post mine here... but if someone wants to start a Flickr group, have at it!
Given Flickr's uncertain future as Yahoo starts to sell off components, we may be safest hosting on our own services and posting in this thread or a sister tread that's only for image posts.
07-28-2016, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Given Flickr's uncertain future as Yahoo starts to sell off components, we may be safest hosting on our own services and posting in this thread or a sister tread that's only for image posts.
I don't disagree about wherever we want to host - but FWIW, Verizon owns Flickr now and it si secure. Flickr is the Jewel in the crown.
07-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #147
Veteran Member

I don't disagree about wherever we want to host - but FWIW, Verizon owns Flickr now and it si secure. Flickr is the Jewel in the crown.
Agreed.

07-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #148
Veteran Member

Flickr is the Jewel in the crown.
Maybe ten years ago, sure. Verizon did not buy Yahoo for Flickr. They bought Yahoo for their property in Silicon Valley. Flickr is the 40th-ranked photo sharing app on iTunes (an app that adds cats shooting lasers from their eyes is 23, for perspective). Flickr is not used by many younger net-savvy people, and almost entirely abandoned by people who have been online fewer than about ten years. There's no supporting community for Flickr, as there once was, and photo sharing is dominated now by Facebook (first place) and Instagram (second). To make Flickr a dominant player (let's say top ten) in the photo sharing space would take more time and effort than Verizon has patience for.

If Flickr is still active on January 1, 2019, I will be gobsmacked. If it is around, it means it's either been sold or spun-off. Verizon is not an Internet property company and there's no upside for them in saving Yahoo's flagging web properties.
07-28-2016, 05:07 PM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Flickr is the 40th-ranked photo sharing app on iTunes ...
Don't confuse market saturation with new download numbers...

Also it is my experience (with others too) that Flickr is more popular used on the the desktop than as a mobile app.

07-28-2016, 05:24 PM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Enigmaticca Quote
Don't confuse market saturation with new download numbers...
Fair enough. Flickr has 112 million registered users (that stat is a year old, but nothing newer is available.) One million photos are shared each day on Flickr. 10 billion photos are online on Flickr. Those are all great. Here's why Flickr is dying:

Percentage of users younger than 17: 3.6%. Average number of photos uploaded each year per user on Flickr: 3.25

Number of photos on Facebook: 250 billion. Number of photos uploaded to Facebook each day: 350 million. Number of Facebook users: 1.15 billion. Average number of photos uploaded by each Facebook each year: 217.

Google's numbers are much lower than FB (thanks to their ever-changing photo application and the fact that they shuttered two of them in the last few years). But it's still significantly higher than Flickr. Instagram is between the two. Flickr is now a bit-part player in the work of online photo sharing and is so far behind the eight ball that the odds of it ever being in the top ten again are about the same as the odds of me drinking a Red Bull and literally growing wings.