Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 03:00 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The BCN ranking is flattering, but is just a sampling index of certain retail stores in Japan, right?

It doesn't substitute for what we never get to find out from camera companies - total global sales through all channels with a breakdown by model.

Getting sampling right is hard. B&H said in this forum they'd never reveal a product's sales figure.

Last edited by clackers; 05-06-2016 at 04:41 AM.
05-06-2016, 03:03 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by afan137 Quote
RIcoh is doing great job. Next we can expect Sigma and Tamron, providing their support to the k-mount system.
That would be great, Afan, but unlikely.

The uptake of the K-1 seems to me high by our forum standards, but will be negligible in industry terms.

05-06-2016, 04:10 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I walked into a Retail store in USA and found the Pentax shelf amongst the Nikon and Canon walls. It holds a 645z and 55/2.8, original Q and the lens set, a boxed K-3ll and a boxed K-1. That's the difference between 7,000 K-1's a month and 50,000 D810 pre-orders.

I bought the K-1.

Interestingly, the store manager and two floor sales people came over to talk Pentax. For people in their early 30's they were knowledgeable and knew the history, and quite excited to sell the K-1. One of them even suggested which of my K lenses I should use for the IMGP_0001 shot.

My salesperson said the problem with Pentax is no one even knows it exists. They have a list of interested users, they get a random walk-in* like me from time to time but it just isn't worth promoting.

* Like the two thoracic surgeons who bought their father a 645z and D FA 55/2.8 set for his 70th birthday. Out of the blue.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-06-2016 at 04:17 AM.
05-06-2016, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Like the two thoracic surgeons who bought their father a 645z and D FA 55/2.8 set for his 70th birthday. Out of the blue.
I'm 70 in September..... I live in hope (though my two sons aren't thoracic surgeons).

05-06-2016, 05:12 AM   #20
Banned

I walked into a Retail store in USA and found the Pentax shelf amongst the Nikon and Canon walls. It holds a 645z and 55/2.8, original Q and the lens set, a boxed K-3ll and a boxed K-1. That's the difference between 7,000 K-1's a month and 50,000 D810 pre-orders.

I bought the K-1.

Interestingly, the store manager and two floor sales people came over to talk Pentax. For people in their early 30's they were knowledgeable and knew the history, and quite excited to sell the K-1. One of them even suggested which of my K lenses I should use for the IMGP_0001 shot.

My salesperson said the problem with Pentax is no one even knows it exists. They have a list of interested users, they get a random walk-in* like me from time to time but it just isn't worth promoting.

* Like the two thoracic surgeons who bought their father a 645z and D FA 55/2.8 set for his 70th birthday. Out of the blue.
The K-1 was already in stock, so all pre-orders where fullfilled. Pretty fast.
05-06-2016, 05:27 AM   #21
JPT
Pentaxian

It's right that you can't tell much in terms of absolute sales figures from BCN or Kakaku.com rankings, but you can see how a camera has done on that particular ranking compared to previous months and years. The Kakaku.com ranking is not unusual for Pentax, because they cover more niche stores. They sometimes jump up into the top ten when retailers drop the price all of a sudden. What is a bit unusual is being that high immediately after release, because if you wait a few months in Japan, it'll usually be quite a lot cheaper, which usually means that Pentax cameras tend to rank higher later. It's very unusual to see Pentax to do well in BCN Ranking under any circumstances. When I saw the list of retailers they cover a while ago, they covered some stores that don't even carry Pentax. In any case, this strong start is kind of inevitable because of pent-up demand. Whether the K-1 will sell well over it's lifetime is another matter.

I think there's a real chance that Sigma and Tamron will make K-mount lenses in future. The situation is changing in favour of Pentax, I think. To start with Sigma actually hasn't stopped supporting K-mount. They launched the 18-300 as recently as last August. They just rarely make a lens designed for full frame in K-mount, because until now Pentax hasn't made a full frame camera. Another thing is that it's fairly clear that Sony A-mount is on its way out. That means that for DSLR lenses, K-mount should be 4th in line after (Canon, Nikon and Sigma SA), rather than the 5th they have been in the past. Finally, I have my own little story from CP+ this year. When I asked at CP+, the Tamron rep seemed rather positive about making K-mount lenses, saying that they are studying market demand. Of course, that's just one person's reaction, but I was encouraged to hear it. On the other hand, Kazuto Yamaki (Sigma boss) has said in the past that K-mount lenses are a pain to make because of the need for mechanical aperture control. So that probably makes Sigma a bit reluctant.

Overall, I think it looks like a good start for the K-1. I actually had my first sighting of one in the wild yesterday. I was at festival after dark, and the guy next to me was using the cross-tilt screen to shoot over the crowd. And to add insult to injury, he was happily shooting away at ISO 12,800, while I was stuck there with my K-5 IIs, wondering whether I should risk ISO 1,600.
05-06-2016, 06:00 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The K-1 was already in stock, so all pre-orders where fullfilled. Pretty fast.
True, and the Ricoh Rep made sure they got stock. But they bought 5 and pre-sold 3. I got one of the two remaining.

They really wanted to sell me a D-FA 24~70.

05-06-2016, 09:31 AM   #23
Pentaxian

In London, couldn't find a shop with K-1 on display.
Guess they were all sent to happily customers.
05-06-2016, 10:32 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Did you try Jessops ?
05-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought the K-1.

I was in Adorama just before the holidays and the only cameras on display were Canon and Sony, not even a Nikon display that I could see. There used to be a big Pentax display with some large "A" lenses and most of the current camera models, but no longer.

NaCl(have no idea why no Nikon display however, maybe they are in the process of renovating the selling floor, they do that periodically)H2O
05-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Did you try Jessops ?
Yep. Not on Oxford street at least.

It was more of a 'look darling that's the new one' than anything else as I already played with the beta firmware versions two months ago.
05-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #27
Banned

This week the K-1 is at #43 and the only listing camera for Pentax.
05-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #28
Pentaxian

This week the K-1 is at #43 and the only listing camera for Pentax.
Yaeh, Ptxsdoomed
05-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #29
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Yaeh, Ptxsdoomed
That is your optimisme. In this time it could mean, less camera's for Japanese stores and some shipment to USA.
05-14-2016, 05:02 AM   #30
Veteran Member

That is very optimistic. Tamron has a deal making lenses for Pentax, so no need to do that under their own Brand. In the rest of the list only a double zoomkit K-S1 is at #62. No K-3ii or K-S2 in the list, wich means hartly any sales at the moment for these models. This is consistent with what I see overhere.
tamron very well positionned for this game. they'll get something for all 24-70 sales and everything for all people going cheap for their old 28-75 and 70-200 !

Pentax on the other hand need a cheap tele to take back some sales from tamron. The Pentax 70-200 and 150-450 are simply too expensive to target eveybody ! Something sub 500$ and like a 70-300 could make sense.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 05-14-2016 at 05:08 AM.