QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I swear it wasn't there few hours ago!

By the way, it's #4 on kakaku.com:
http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-slr-camera/ranking_0049/
... it is auto-embargoed till Wednesday Japanese time, just my wild guess
05-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The mirrorless revolution doesn't seem to be happening in Japan...

05-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
Banned

That is great. In potential this means that in one week 1.000 units may be sold in Japan.
05-03-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is great. In potential this means that in one week 1.000 units may be sold in Japan.
lets hope for a happy ending. the opportunities for increased resolution or otherwise a better mousetrap with the half frame design have pretty much at an end with the K-3.... i
05-03-2016, 05:08 PM   #7
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I swear it wasn't there few hours ago!

By the way, it's #4 on kakaku.com:
http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-slr-camera/ranking_0049/
Also note that K-mount lenses are selling a bit better than usual in Japan.
http://kakaku.com/camera/camera-lens/itemlist.aspx?pdf_Spec103=26

Interesting that the Tamron 70-200 and 28-75 are selling so well. Actually, the 70-200 has been the best selling K-mount lens on kakaku.com for ages, but not the 28-75. It looks like a lot of K-1 purchasers are getting themselves a very economical f2.8 lens set with the camera. I wonder if this will persuade 3rd parties to keep/start offering K-mount models.

This week is the Golden Week holiday in Japan. It is probably a big weekend for shopping, which would explain why both Ricoh and Nikon made sure their cameras were available on April 28. It's interesting that two such long awaited cameras at around the same price came out on the same day. Of course the D500 is selling more, but the K-1 is close behind. I'm just glad to see people on both sides finally getting what they have wanted, and apparently being pretty well satisfied.

Last edited by JPT; 05-03-2016 at 05:16 PM.
05-04-2016, 12:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
That is quite likely

AFAIK SRSMicrosystems alone (UK dealer) managed to sell pretty much two full deliveries within some 5 days.

My hazardous guess is that K-1s actually sell even better outside Japan, but that may just be the perception of the hype on the internet and my lack of Japanese
05-04-2016, 02:13 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It's nice to see as well that it's the best selling 35 mm camera in Japan. :-)
05-04-2016, 08:33 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
That's pretty amazing, BCN's sampling seems to have disfavoured Pentax compared to kakaku, haven't seen Pentax at the first page of those rankings in ages.
05-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #11

RIcoh is doing great job. Next we can expect Sigma and Tamron, providing their support to the k-mount system.
05-06-2016, 01:36 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by afan137 Quote
RIcoh is doing great job. Next we can expect Sigma and Tamron, providing their support to the k-mount system.
That is very optimistic. Tamron has a deal making lenses for Pentax, so no need to do that under their own Brand. In the rest of the list only a double zoomkit K-S1 is at #62. No K-3ii or K-S2 in the list, wich means hartly any sales at the moment for these models. This is consistent with what I see overhere.
05-06-2016, 02:38 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is very optimistic. Tamron has a deal making lenses for Pentax, so no need to do that under their own Brand. In the rest of the list only a double zoomkit K-S1 is at #62. No K-3ii or K-S2 in the list, wich means hartly any sales at the moment for these models. This is consistent with what I see overhere.
I guess the question is how much effort it would really take for Sigma to take existing lenses and fit them for K mount. If they can do it with the F mount and their own mount (which has got to sell tiny, tiny numbers of lenses), then the K mount isn't that different. I guess it is all the question of how many they think they would sell to K-1 users.
05-06-2016, 02:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess the question is how much effort it would really take for Sigma to take existing lenses and fit them for K mount. If they can do it with the F mount and their own mount (which has got to sell tiny, tiny numbers of lenses), then the K mount isn't that different. I guess it is all the question of how many they think they would sell to K-1 users.
Yes, and as such I would expect a significant lag on any new lenses from Sigma. It will take many months to know if the K-1 is a success beyond existing Pentax uses. There have also been reports that some older Sigma lenses are not playing ball with the K-1 which suggests that Sigma would need to do extra work to ensure compatibility.
05-06-2016, 02:50 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Yes, and as such I would expect a significant lag on any new lenses from Sigma. It will take many months to know if the K-1 is a success beyond existing Pentax uses. There have also been reports that some older Sigma lenses are not playing ball with the K-1 which suggests that Sigma would need to do extra work to ensure compatibility.
We are used to Sigma waiting quite a few months to release k mount versions of their lenses. It is just that recently, they haven't even bothered and lenses like their 50mm f1.4 and current 70-200 f2.8 don't seem to have k mount versions expected.

It is not unusual for Sigma lenses not to work with newer generation of cameras. This has happened with Canon and Nikon too and in the end, Sigma usually upgrades the lens firmware for free to fix it. I think the issue there is just that Sigma doesn't pay licensing fees and so they just have to reverse engineer everything themselves after the fact.