Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New 645z Being Field Tested?

So I was just browsing the local Kijiji for Pentax deals, and I noticed this add, where the seller is offering a 645z and claims: "I am a sponsored photographer for Pentax so I'm just changing it as they are sending me a new model to test". I am attaching a screen-shot below in case the add disappears. He/she could be getting a K-1 I guess, but perhaps it's something more interesting... I'd call, but I'm not willing to pretend to be interested in a way-too-expensive-for-me camera to see if he/she will tell me whether the incoming camera is a K-1 or something else.

BTW, the deal works out to about $USD4800 including a 55mm F/2.8 prime, so maybe this should be cross-posted to the Price Watch section, but I doubt the seller is willing to ship. Shutter is at 60,000. No idea who the seller is.

Attached Images

05-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Given how angry they got at Kenspo for leaking the 100MP MF chip rumour, I would venture to suggest that this sponsored photographer for Pentax could easily find themselves being an unsponsored photographer very swiftly if they got wind of this.

Unless of course the new model s/he hints at is either the K-1 or the IR version of the 645Z.
05-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The simplest explanation is the K-1 - which is a new model, barely starting to be available. Usually, the simplest explanation is correct (as it implies fewer assumptions).
05-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bit short sighted...what if he hates whatever new model it is?

05-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The simplest explanation is the K-1 - which is a new model, barely starting to be available. Usually, the simplest explanation is correct (as it implies fewer assumptions).
But a whole lot less funny
05-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This ad was debunked in another thread about that sale item. The general opinion is the seller is not a sponsored Pentax photographer / tester and the camera is probably stolen.

[EDIT]: See below. Maybe real.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-08-2016 at 08:05 AM.
05-07-2016, 01:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This ad was debunked in another thread about that sale item. The general opinion is the seller I not a Pentax tester and the camera is probably stolen.
Was indeed !

05-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Besides all the other red flags - didn't Kenspo mention that he has to send stuff back when he is getting new models? I recall him writing that he sent the K3s back when the K3 IIs arrived, and now he is sending those back in exchange for K-1s.
05-07-2016, 01:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
So I was just browsing the local Kijiji for Pentax deals, and I noticed this add, where the seller is offering a 645z and claims: "I am a sponsored photographer for Pentax so I'm just changing it as they are sending me a new model to test". I am attaching a screen-shot below in case the add disappears. He/she could be getting a K-1 I guess, but perhaps it's something more interesting... I'd call, but I'm not willing to pretend to be interested in a way-too-expensive-for-me camera to see if he/she will tell me whether the incoming camera is a K-1 or something else.

BTW, the deal works out to about $USD4800 including a 55mm F/2.8 prime, so maybe this should be cross-posted to the Price Watch section, but I doubt the seller is willing to ship. Shutter is at 60,000. No idea who the seller is.
No. This guy also posted on FB Pentax group. He said he bought 645Z, then Pentax sponsor him, but can't refund his money. So he sell this camera to get some money back. They are sending him P645Z and lenses to shoot.

Check this FB group for the posting: https://www.facebook.com/groups/thepentaxians/
05-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

here you go:

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  166.9 KB
05-07-2016, 03:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oops, hadn't seen the Marketplace post. Yeah, the flash is indeed pretty weird. If it is stolen, maybe the owner is on these forum. We can hope. Seems odd to steal such an expensive item and and then hope that the actual owner isn't checking the classified to see if it pops up, no? Anyhow, sorry for the duplicate thread.

EDIT: Oh, and I see from what LFLee posted that apparently this is the seller's FB profile. Maybe he is indeed just getting a sponsored 645z and selling the one he bought...?
05-07-2016, 04:06 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is something a lot more troubling to me than the idea that someone might be selling a stolen 645z (which I don't believe anyway), and it's that there is someone else scouting Kijiji in "my" territory! I don't like competition there :P .
05-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I live in Laval, the add seem to be gone.

And here the page of the seller, he is a Fashion Photog
Anthony Turano Fashion Photographer
And here what is site said
Anthony Turano has been a Sponsored ImageMaker™ for Pentax | Ricoh Imaging since September 2014 Shooting with the Pentax 645Z Medium Format camera. Anthony uses this beautiful 51.4 Mega Pixel camera to capture all of his stunning images!

---------- Post added 8th May 2016 at 11:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This ad was debunked in another thread about that sale item. The general opinion is the seller is not a sponsored Pentax photographer / tester and the camera is probably stolen.
And these peoples never check and make false misinformation.
05-08-2016, 08:07 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
And these peoples never check and make false misinformation.
Corrected above.
05-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
There is something a lot more troubling to me than the idea that someone might be selling a stolen 645z (which I don't believe anyway), and it's that there is someone else scouting Kijiji in "my" territory! I don't like competition there :P .
I thought the same thing haha, hopefully we are looking for different lenses...