Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Well, I'm really excited to see the Ks-3 and the K-3II replacement. I hope to see great improvements in noise handling of the K-3II replacement. Keep going Pentax!
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I don't expect an APS-C flagship, sure Nikon and Canon have theirs - I don't think Pentax can dislodge either of the big two in that particular area of the market. And there is little point in trying to compete.
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
That would be an interesting move from the DSLR maker which long was the only one really committed to APS-C!
I suspect the word "flagship" is confusing things here.

I expect that, over the next several years, at any time there will be a clear "top-of-the-FF-range" camera and a clear "top-of-the-APS-C-range" camera. Whether one or the other is called a "flagship", and which one it is, is largely irrelevant!

I suspect that one of the APS-C cameras rumoured to be announced at Photokina in September will be such a "top-of-the-APS-C-range" camera. It is almost exactly the right time for a new camera to become the first of the series that replaces the K-3-series. Just as the K-3-series announcement followed the K-5-series announcement by about 3 years, September/October would be three years since the K-3-series announcement.

Speculation:
9.5-10 fps (speculation by extrapolation)
SAFOX 12, 33 focus points (25 cross), (K-1's focus points fit within an APS-C frame), tracking
Dual cards
Probably no flash
Articulated screen

05-13-2016, 11:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Base on Pentax Camera wiki, there's the pattern for releasing new cameras.

Upgrade version like K-3 ii and K-5 ii takes 2 year from original bodies like K-5 and K-3
New body takes 1year after upgrade version which is 3 year after for original bodies.
MF takes 4 years from 645D(2010) to 645Z(2014) but not sure due to few MF.

K-1ii will be release in 2018 base on these records and new 645 might release in 2018 too.
05-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I think that is more likely than a flagship APS-C DSLR, there is a full frame 24mp sensor...or Pentax could really grab the High ISO crowd with a 16Mp Camera with higher capture rate, different crop modes and similar, if not higher extended ISO than the K-1 , but with only a hinged rear LCD.
There are times when a FF camera makes sense and times when an APS-C camera may be better. Let's suppose that we at a wildlife refuge. You have a 36MP K-1, and I have a 24MP K-3iii; let's also suppose that we have the same FF long lens. We both photograph a distant bird, which fills up most of the frame in my image. In order to get the same view I get, you have to crop away one-third of the height and one-third of the width of your image, which will leave you with a 16MP image, not nearly as much detail as is in my 24MP image. This K-3iii would make a lot more sense than another FF camera would right now, and would compete well with the APS-C cameras that Canikon is continuing to introduce and to sell.