Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
645D discontinued?

Sorry for the pun in the title... if it even counts as one

645d is marked as discontinued on B&H - is that news? is it temporary? It wouldn't be all that surprising if its run is finally over...

05-10-2016, 03:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's been out of production of a while. Looks like stock is finally starting to run out!

(BTW, I think the K-50 is next to follow suit. It's also out of production, so the factory is shipping out new units from existing inventory).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's been out of production of a while. Looks like stock is finally starting to run out!

(BTW, I think the K-50 is next to follow suit. It's also out of production, so the factory is shipping out new units from existing inventory).
Wouldn't they basically have to empty their K-50 inventory before they could even thing of releasing the K-S3 that various people here have been hoping for??
05-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Wouldn't they basically have to empty their K-50 inventory before they could even thing of releasing the K-S3 that various people here have been hoping for??
Well, I'd expect the K-S3 to succeed the K-S2 as the upper entry-level/mid-range offering.

The K-50 needs an entry-level replacement ("K-60"). I'd expect to see one later this year, along with at least plans of a new APS-C flagship.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #5
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
K-s2 hasn't succeeded the K-50? I thought the K-_0 line was over, and the K-s_ is the new consumer body.
05-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
K-s2 hasn't succeeded the K-50? I thought the K-_0 line was over, and the K-s_ is the new consumer body.
For a year now I've been commenting {some might even say "complaining"} about Pentax's management of their lower level K-mount cameras. They've been selling K-50, K-S1, and K-S2 all in parallel, with no clear indication of what market they see for each one. When my Canon Rebel unexpectedly died just about a year ago, and I decided to go with a K-mount, I ended up getting a K-30 because of price, because at a time when our cash was quite tight, I didn't see any great benefit to me of paying more than twice as much to get a K-Sx. {incidentally, the upper level isn't much better, since they seem to be selling the K-3 and K-3ii in parallel}. My belief is that their line is bloated - just too many models for the average user to evaluate - and they need to "rationalize" things before they introduce any new models.
05-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

No, they are two different lines... or at least started as such.

05-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #8
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My belief is that their line is bloated - just too many models for the average user to evaluate - and they need to "rationalize" things before they introduce any new models.
I agree with you - but also take a look at Canon: Sl1, T5, T5i, T6, T6i, T6s (then 70d 80d, 7dmkii) - ALTHOUGH, it is mostly clear who they are targeted too. Pentax marketing is confused, but not bloated in the way Canon is.
05-11-2016, 02:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, I'm really excited to see the Ks-3 and the K-3II replacement. I hope to see great improvements in noise handling of the K-3II replacement. Keep going Pentax!
05-11-2016, 02:29 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd expect to see one later this year, along with at least plans of a new APS-C flagship.
I don't expect an APS-C flagship, sure Nikon and Canon have theirs - I don't think Pentax can dislodge either of the big two in that particular area of the market. And there is little point in trying to compete.

Pentax marketing is confused
Pentax marketing is utterly aimless. I don't think they have the faintest idea outside of Japan what the market is like...or where it is going.
05-11-2016, 10:08 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I don't expect an APS-C flagship, sure Nikon and Canon have theirs - I don't think Pentax can dislodge either of the big two in that particular area of the market. And there is little point in trying to compete.
Well they're certainly not going to do that, but the K-3 is starting to long for an update...

Adam

05-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
As far as I know, Ricoh does not follow the GE model, of continuing in a market only if they can be #1 or #2. If they don't design any more APS-C cameras, then I can guarantee a 0% share of the APS-C market in a few years, but a regular refreshing of their current lines is a very reasonable approach.
05-12-2016, 06:58 PM   #13
KDD
Veteran Member

Next new mid-range Full Frame camera!!???
05-13-2016, 06:46 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
That would be an interesting move from the DSLR maker which long was the only one really committed to APS-C!
05-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
I think that is more likely than a flagship APS-C DSLR, there is a full frame 24mp sensor...or Pentax could really grab the High ISO crowd with a 16Mp Camera with higher capture rate, different crop modes and similar, if not higher extended ISO than the K-1 , but with only a hinged rear LCD.