Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2016, 06:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Then you should be able to see the "Zoom Size" menu option on the flash.
It may also be necessary for the flash head to be pointing directly forward for the zoom option to be available. Not pointing upwards, or to the rear or side for bounce. Which kind of makes sense.

05-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
its weird, i can see the zoom size option when i put the metz on the k3, bit it doesn't show when i put it on the k1. At least the A mode works so i can use the flash
05-22-2016, 11:27 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
its weird, i can see the zoom size option when i put the metz on the k3, bit it doesn't show when i put it on the k1.
Strange, I wonder why it works for rawr?

Perhaps putting the K-1 into crop mode does the trick?

Could you try a bit more and send a bug report to Metz, please?
Metz is currently looking into whether they can provide a firmware update and the more info they get, the better.
05-22-2016, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Strange, I wonder why it works for rawr?

Perhaps putting the K-1 into crop mode does the trick?

Could you try a bit more and send a bug report to Metz, please?
Metz is currently looking into whether they can provide a firmware update and the more info they get, the better.
putting the K1 into crop mode did indeed did the trick, however putting it on auto or FF mode pttl didn't work anymore only in crop mode. At least it will work in A mode so i can use the flash on my son's wedding.
Will put in a bug report at Metz.

05-23-2016, 12:05 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

I wonder why it works for rawr?
Probably some subtle differences between my 52-AF1 and the 58-AF2 firmware?
05-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #21
Pentaxian

reply from technical support Metz:
"Unfortunately we also had to recognise that the flash unit mecablitz 58 AF-2 digital for Pentax doesn't work together with the new Pentax K-1. If this camera is used with the setting for full frame the P-TTL-flash-mode doesn't work anymore. We will check the Pentax K-1 in our development department concerning this problem as soon as we can get this camera. After that we can modify the firmware of the afore-mentioned flash unit. As soon as this new firmware is available we will inform you again."

It will take a while i guess.
05-23-2016, 08:19 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This gives me a sad.

05-24-2016, 03:22 AM   #23

OK - does all Pentax own...

...flashes work.

I have two Metz 58-AF1:s - but I don't want to do tricky-tricks.

Can I buy the cheapest Pentax PTTL-flash at once and it works.
Anyway I think one must have a "little-one" in the pocket anyway as K-1 does not have a built in flash.

Or any other suggestions?
05-24-2016, 04:45 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gutta Perka Quote
Or any other suggestions?
On-camera radio trigger with manual controls to remotely control off-camera flashes without the limitations of P-TTL and optical triggering.

Sweet as.
05-24-2016, 05:01 AM   #25

On-camera radio trigger with manual controls to remotely control off-camera flashes without the limitations of P-TTL and optical triggering.

Sweet as.
Witch one(s) do You suggest that fits in a pocket?

Price tag(s)?

As I'm not expecting a quick fix I'll look on the "ebay" for a Pentax one - but the cutest is a mini tilt-able Metz - bahhh!

Last edited by Gutta Perka; 05-24-2016 at 05:08 AM.
05-24-2016, 02:52 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Witch one(s) do You suggest that fits in a pocket?
The Cactus V6 will remote control the power levels of all sorts of flashes (from various brands).

Not the smallest of triggers by any stretch of imagination but smaller and much, much lighter than most flashes.
05-24-2016, 11:04 PM   #27

The Cactus V6 will remote control the power levels of all sorts of flashes (from various brands).

Not the smallest of triggers by any stretch of imagination but smaller and much, much lighter than most flashes.
OK - thanks for the answer....however to advanced for me...seems more like a studiokit and to complicated for fast decisions.

Anyway - with todays ISO:s You don't always need big heavy flashes.

I ebayed an used Pentax AF 200FG for 35$ - to complement my two Metz 58 AF1's while waiting for working firmwares.
05-24-2016, 11:31 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
reply from technical support Metz:
"Unfortunately we also had to recognise that the flash unit mecablitz 58 AF-2 digital for Pentax doesn't work together with the new Pentax K-1. If this camera is used with the setting for full frame the P-TTL-flash-mode doesn't work anymore. We will check the Pentax K-1 in our development department concerning this problem as soon as we can get this camera. After that we can modify the firmware of the afore-mentioned flash unit. As soon as this new firmware is available we will inform you again."

I wonder if you would be so kind as to inform them that the same issue exists for the 58 AF-1

Thanks
05-24-2016, 11:52 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I wonder if you would be so kind as to inform them that the same issue exists for the 58 AF-1

Thanks
I think Metz-Pentax is aware of the problem with the 58 AF1 as well - it's almost identical with the AF-2 one.
The weak thing with the AF-1 was that the plastic shoe often broke - the AF-2 shoe is of metal and much stronger.
I have heard that if you are very handy you can change the AF-1 shoe to an AF-2 shoe.

By the way - doing all tricks mentioned above I have a problem.
For example using A-setting on the Metz.
When regulating exposure with the +/- button on the camera - nothing happens - I alway get a theoretical correct exposure. That is " -3 " gives the same exposure as the " 0 " setting with the flash on.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong - something else to be set?

Last edited by Gutta Perka; 05-25-2016 at 12:07 AM.
05-25-2016, 12:19 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I ebayed an used Pentax AF 200FG for 35$.
That's what I bought to carry around as a replacement for the pop-up flash.