Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2016, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, all the indications from Ricoh have been that the Q system will continue. It's getting close to time for a newer and updated body to appear. Actually, I might say it's overdue, but you know the K-1 and everything associated with it pushed other things onto the back burner for a while.

I've got my fingers crossed. I'm hoping for more than just another Q7/Q-S1 with somewhat updated specifications. Pentax has been going from strength to strength lately, and the next Q just might surprise us with some new tricks.

05-15-2016, 12:14 AM   #17
ogl
Banned

Q system should be started from zero again - new body, more features, 1" sensor, new lenses and crop mode for old lenses.
05-15-2016, 01:19 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Then its not a Q,its something else.....and with lens development surely aimed at FF,I'd be totally surprised at a change of sensor size.
05-15-2016, 01:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree Q could need a restart, but 1" may be too big for what I have in mind. I want Pentax to realize the compact camera market is in decline and the mobile camera market is increasing. They should make a camera module that can be sold to several phone companies to make the first phone camera system lens mount, and make it available for many phone brands. The first lens they should make is a super slim kit prime.

While they are at it, they should also offer the Theta S core camera components as a module for phones. Pentax could take the high end camera phone market by storm and be the first and leading brand in this genre.

05-15-2016, 01:38 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Sony,Olympus and Kodak all have cameras that attach to phones,Samsung have 2 hybrid camera phones,Panasonic has one.None of these devices has been a run away success.

Q models are big sellers in Japan apparently,Ricoh probably have the next version not far away and hopefullyvwith a 45-150mm f4 and a wide angle prime.
05-15-2016, 01:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

None of them are runaway successes - none of them have a concept close to what I'm suggesting.

Interchangeable lenses are a huge vacuum in the high end phone camera market and nobody have taken that opportunity yet.
05-15-2016, 02:10 AM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
None of them are runaway successes - none of them have a concept close to what I'm suggesting.

Interchangeable lenses are a huge vacuum in the high end phone camera market and nobody have taken that opportunity yet.
How is that different from Sony's QX1? Many people don't want to walk around with to much gear.

05-15-2016, 02:15 AM   #23
Pentaxian

So, if you think the phone companies will jump on a lens mount and alter their direction???Their cameras are covering most needs already.

Samsung have already filed a patent for a sensor that's q7/qs1 size.....fstop on their present S7 is f1.8, there's talk of a f1.4 on the new sensor...phones will eat compacts within a couple of years,processors will advance and produce very high quality images.Huawei
Samsung Apple ,Sony all have excellent shooters,probably a few more too.Specifically owning a camera won't be necessary soon for lots of people.

---------- Post added 05-15-16 at 08:16 PM ----------

I think he means building the lens mount into the phn.

---------- Post added 05-15-16 at 08:18 PM ----------

I have one of the Sony attachable, as well as one of the Samsung hybrids.Both are good and enable me to get shots I can't with a normal camera or phone.
05-15-2016, 02:25 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Make that Q easy to connnect with any social media, good and quick editing possibility, and you have a winner.

Anything that takes more than 30 sec to be posted on social media, is abandonned nowadays, and donne by phone.
05-15-2016, 02:27 AM   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I think he means building the lens mount into the phn.
Well I don't see that happening this century. From 2017 on the sim-card will disappear and will be build in in the phone. So you activate your phone with dialing a number in your phone Connecting it to your provider. This way even more things can be connected to the same phone number (like a tablet) and eat out of the same contract with making calls and using data on 4G networks. This could also be done to camera's having the build in sim-card. The camera has to be able to run on something that is wise on the internet and relates to users. So something like Android or so...

---------- Post added 15-05-16 at 11:35 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Make that Q easy to connnect with any social media, good and quick editing possibility, and you have a winner.

Anything that takes more than 30 sec to be posted on social media, is abandonned nowadays, and donne by phone.
Right on the money. The problem is that the Q-S1 should have be that way. Ricoh lacks the knowledge so if they start now they come with a first product, probably not good enough to mature it. Waisting money on the way learning and still don't find many new customers. If you can't use it as a phone and it isn't much better in taking images then say a Samsung S7 then it probably doesn't sell.
05-15-2016, 02:39 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Yes, it wont happen.... what is happening is that phones are rapidly getting closer to compacts quality...S7 is there
05-15-2016, 02:39 AM   #27
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
I agree Q could need a restart, but 1" may be too big for what I have in mind.
It seems to me 1/1.7" sensor is out of production and standards of P&S camera's sensor are changed.
1/2.3" is still for super-zooms and 1" for all another photo gears.
05-15-2016, 02:41 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote

I'm not sure but I think a wi fi card may work in a Q?

---------- Post added 05-15-16 at 08:43 PM ----------

The sensor in the WG-M2(1/2.3") is size of Q/Q10, it shoots 4k......it may appear in a Q size body?

Last edited by surfar; 05-15-2016 at 02:46 AM.
05-15-2016, 03:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

RonHendriks1966: Its very different from Sony QX. Sony QX is an external camera, a very bulky one. Its not with the phone at all times, its just an accessory that is easily left home in a drawer. Building the sensor into the phone and having a lens mount solves that. The camera stays with the phone at all times. In stead of stuffing it with a lid when not in use, there should be a very slim "camera cap lens", an ultra thin kit prime. So there you basicly have a built in camera, with the important difference that the lens is interchangeable. Additional lenses are accessories that may be left at home, and if you do, you will not loose the shooting ability due to the ultra thin kit prime. Lenses are optional and an income after the initial sale. When a user have a couple of lenses, and wants a new phone, he would opt for a phone with the same mount. Being the first company with a mount solution will be a huge advantage for future sales. ogl suggested a 1" sensor, but I think that will make the phone and a slim kit lens too thick. I don't want it to look like a phone with a Sony QX attached. It should look like a normal camera phone when using the kit lens. The phone itself should be less then 10mm thick and the kit lens should not protrude more then a few millimeters. Other lenses could protrude more. The current Q normal prime is far to thick for this purpose and the Q mount is too deep. Thats why I want a new mount, rethinked for phone purposes.

Phone companies have extremely fast design processes. They love ready made modules that are easy to add to their design. They also love using respected camera brands to promote their camera quality. Huawei uses the Leica name, Sony use Zeiss, Samsung use Schneider lenses and so on. I want to see the Pentax logo too.
05-15-2016, 03:49 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been a Q/QS1 user from nearly the start. If it goes it's sad. If it doesn't even better. At this point I'm really just hoping for more Q mount lenses. That Telephoto macro they teased a while back would be a wonderful addition to the line.