Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2016, 11:26 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jimr-pdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,569
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Q system should be started from zero again - new body, more features, 1" sensor, new lenses and crop mode for old lenses.
My ever-optimistic fingers are crossed that Samsung's NX tech becomes part of a new Pentax partnership.
Add an adaptor + crop mode in the nx500 for Q-native lenses, and let's play!

05-15-2016, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hamilton, Texas
Photos: Albums
Posts: 647
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The Q simply did not sell. Dedicated camera with small sensors (sub-1") are unable compete with cameras in phones.
If "the Q simply did not sell," there wouldn't have been a Q10 and a Q7 and a Q-S1. It's been at least a somewhat successful system, or it wouldn't have come this far.

We've been told that the Q system is continuing. Now, I know anything that comes from the corporation has to be taken with a grain of salt. It wouldn't be the first time that something in an interview has turned out later to be incorrect. But. . . I haven't seen anything yet to indicate that, and therefore am inclined to give Ricoh the benefit of the doubt.
05-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #48
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,294
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The Q simply did not sell. Dedicated camera with small sensors (sub-1") are unable compete with cameras in phones.
Q system had good sales in Japan and Asia. I think Ricoh has good profit with Q - the cost price is low IMO.
05-15-2016, 01:08 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,924
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
If "the Q simply did not sell," there wouldn't have been a Q10 and a Q7 and a Q-S1. It's been at least a somewhat successful system, or it wouldn't have come this far.

We've been told that the Q system is continuing. Now, I know anything that comes from the corporation has to be taken with a grain of salt. It wouldn't be the first time that something in an interview has turned out later to be incorrect. But. . . I haven't seen anything yet to indicate that, and therefore am inclined to give Ricoh the benefit of the doubt.
The Q has consistently been the lowest selling product line in mirrorless on the Japanese domestic and export charts.

It has almost no shelf presence and very few reviews. It's almost invisible in the market, especially in North America and Europe. Many resellers—even online—who carry Pentax/Ricoh do not sell the Q at all.

05-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #50
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,294
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The Q has consistently been the lowest selling product line in mirrorless on the Japanese domestic and export charts.

It has almost no shelf presence and very few reviews. It's almost invisible in the market, especially in North America and Europe. Many resellers—even online—who carry Pentax/Ricoh do not sell the Q at all.
Should we believe you or Ricoh's representatives in interview? Do you live in Japan and checked already all Japanese shops?

Q system was made for Asian market, first of all. That's why the presence of Q in other market was lower.
But...it's easy to buy camera and lenses at Russian official reseller, for example. No any problem at all.
05-15-2016, 01:39 PM   #51
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,206
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
NX tech becomes part of a new Pentax partnership

We can only wish, the lenses are very good, the kit 16-50 is the best kit lens ive encountered(didn't get one with the K1 though) and great pancakes.


The long end is lacking though, a 150-400 is needed and a TC.


By incorporating the NX, Ricoh has everything covered.
05-15-2016, 01:57 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
i83N's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,155
So if q not dead GR is getting Fuji mount than k fully becomes FF mount?
05-15-2016, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,357
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Should we believe you or Ricoh's representatives in interview? Do you live in Japan and checked already all Japanese shops?

Q system was made for Asian market, first of all. That's why the presence of Q in other market was lower.
But...it's easy to buy camera and lenses at Russian official reseller, for example. No any problem at all.
All the sales of the Q variants had to do was to achieve the minimum return on investment required by the company. Whether or not the Q was last on the sales figures is irrelevant.

05-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #54
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,459
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The Q has consistently been the lowest selling product line in mirrorless on the Japanese domestic and export charts.
Hmm... I'm not sure about that. At times, some Q model was in BCNRanking's top 10 mirrorless, surpassing e.g. all Fujifilm models. For a week or two, the Q was even on the top spot.
They don't seems to be doing too well now, though...
05-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #55
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,792
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The Q has consistently been the lowest selling product line in mirrorless on the Japanese domestic and export charts.
The number sold relative to other cameras is completely irrelevant. All that matters is that the Q system has been a profitable venture. Given that there have been four successive models of Q camera, we can guess that it must have been.
05-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #56
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,010
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The Q simply did not sell. Dedicated camera with small sensors (sub-1") are unable compete with cameras in phones.
An MILC with an EVF is in a completely different arena from phones.
05-15-2016, 02:33 PM   #57
Pentaxian
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,357
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
My ever-optimistic fingers are crossed that Samsung's NX tech becomes part of a new Pentax partnership.
Add an adaptor + crop mode in the nx500 for Q-native lenses, and let's play!
If Ricoh decides to get involved with Samsung, then I hope it's more productive for the brand than the previous one, when Samsung simply used the Pentax technology to launch themselves into the DSLR market, then walked away and used whatever they learned from the exercise on their own. I doubt that Hoya gained much in terms of sales or technology, and the sales of the K10D and K20D Samsung clones probably diluted the Pentax presence in the market, rather than improved it. Even the K20D's sensor (from Samsung) wasn't regarded that highly.

I suspect Hoya might have been trying to unload the Pentax camera division onto Samsung, but either way they were probably better off when the deal finished. So, be careful what you wish for.
05-15-2016, 02:37 PM - 3 Likes   #58
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,010
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Q system should be started from zero again - new body, more features, 1" sensor, new lenses and crop mode for old lenses.
If they go with a 1" sensor, they've basically created a Nikon 1, which doesn't sell any better than the Q does - and I know they would lose me as a customer. My main reason for buying the Q-7 was the way it turns the K-mount lenses I already have into super-birding lenses.
05-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #59
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,206
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
be careful what you wish for

I'll wish for a sensationally advanced ASP-C milc please!


At a bang for buck Ricoh/Pentax price.
05-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jimr-pdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,569
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If they go with a 1" sensor, they've basically created a Nikon 1, which doesn't sell any better than the Q does - and I know they would lose me as a customer. My main reason for buying the Q-7 was the way it turns the K-mount lenses I already have into super-birding lenses.
Great image, and great points. The Q series definitely benefited from its K-lens alliance, and I never heard of Nikon folk doing that with the 1-series.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
build, camera, doubt, format, fun, gift, images, interviews, leica, lens, lenses, market, media, medium, money, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, phone, pm, post, q-s1, qs-1, ricoh, samsung, sensor, size, system
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Given up on old Q- is Q7/Q-S1 much improved? SteveNunez Pentax Q 39 11-06-2015 04:55 AM
Q-S1 compared to original Q wildman Pentax Q 26 05-20-2015 04:41 AM
Behaviour of the Q7 and Q-S1 with external flashes NeilGratton Pentax Q 16 12-31-2014 07:09 AM
Video review of Q-S1 Painter Pentax Q 15 12-02-2014 02:36 AM
A brief, unscientific comparison : Original Q vs Q-S1 6BQ5 Pentax Q 29 11-30-2014 07:21 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:36 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top