Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2016, 11:26 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Q system should be started from zero again - new body, more features, 1" sensor, new lenses and crop mode for old lenses.
My ever-optimistic fingers are crossed that Samsung's NX tech becomes part of a new Pentax partnership.
Add an adaptor + crop mode in the nx500 for Q-native lenses, and let's play!

05-15-2016, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The Q simply did not sell. Dedicated camera with small sensors (sub-1") are unable compete with cameras in phones.
If "the Q simply did not sell," there wouldn't have been a Q10 and a Q7 and a Q-S1. It's been at least a somewhat successful system, or it wouldn't have come this far.

We've been told that the Q system is continuing. Now, I know anything that comes from the corporation has to be taken with a grain of salt. It wouldn't be the first time that something in an interview has turned out later to be incorrect. But. . . I haven't seen anything yet to indicate that, and therefore am inclined to give Ricoh the benefit of the doubt.
05-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #48
ogl
Pentaxian

The Q simply did not sell. Dedicated camera with small sensors (sub-1") are unable compete with cameras in phones.
Q system had good sales in Japan and Asia. I think Ricoh has good profit with Q - the cost price is low IMO.
05-15-2016, 01:08 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
If "the Q simply did not sell," there wouldn't have been a Q10 and a Q7 and a Q-S1. It's been at least a somewhat successful system, or it wouldn't have come this far.

We've been told that the Q system is continuing. Now, I know anything that comes from the corporation has to be taken with a grain of salt. It wouldn't be the first time that something in an interview has turned out later to be incorrect. But. . . I haven't seen anything yet to indicate that, and therefore am inclined to give Ricoh the benefit of the doubt.
The Q has consistently been the lowest selling product line in mirrorless on the Japanese domestic and export charts.

It has almost no shelf presence and very few reviews. It's almost invisible in the market, especially in North America and Europe. Many resellers—even online—who carry Pentax/Ricoh do not sell the Q at all.

05-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #50
ogl
Pentaxian

The Q has consistently been the lowest selling product line in mirrorless on the Japanese domestic and export charts.

It has almost no shelf presence and very few reviews. It's almost invisible in the market, especially in North America and Europe. Many resellers—even online—who carry Pentax/Ricoh do not sell the Q at all.
Should we believe you or Ricoh's representatives in interview? Do you live in Japan and checked already all Japanese shops?

Q system was made for Asian market, first of all. That's why the presence of Q in other market was lower.
But...it's easy to buy camera and lenses at Russian official reseller, for example. No any problem at all.
05-15-2016, 01:39 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
NX tech becomes part of a new Pentax partnership

We can only wish, the lenses are very good, the kit 16-50 is the best kit lens ive encountered(didn't get one with the K1 though) and great pancakes.

The long end is lacking though, a 150-400 is needed and a TC.

By incorporating the NX, Ricoh has everything covered.
05-15-2016, 01:57 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So if q not dead GR is getting Fuji mount than k fully becomes FF mount?
05-15-2016, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

Should we believe you or Ricoh's representatives in interview? Do you live in Japan and checked already all Japanese shops?

Q system was made for Asian market, first of all. That's why the presence of Q in other market was lower.
But...it's easy to buy camera and lenses at Russian official reseller, for example. No any problem at all.
All the sales of the Q variants had to do was to achieve the minimum return on investment required by the company. Whether or not the Q was last on the sales figures is irrelevant.

05-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Hmm... I'm not sure about that. At times, some Q model was in BCNRanking's top 10 mirrorless, surpassing e.g. all Fujifilm models. For a week or two, the Q was even on the top spot.
They don't seems to be doing too well now, though...
05-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The number sold relative to other cameras is completely irrelevant. All that matters is that the Q system has been a profitable venture. Given that there have been four successive models of Q camera, we can guess that it must have been.
05-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #56
Pentaxian

An MILC with an EVF is in a completely different arena from phones.
05-15-2016, 02:33 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
My ever-optimistic fingers are crossed that Samsung's NX tech becomes part of a new Pentax partnership.
Add an adaptor + crop mode in the nx500 for Q-native lenses, and let's play!
If Ricoh decides to get involved with Samsung, then I hope it's more productive for the brand than the previous one, when Samsung simply used the Pentax technology to launch themselves into the DSLR market, then walked away and used whatever they learned from the exercise on their own. I doubt that Hoya gained much in terms of sales or technology, and the sales of the K10D and K20D Samsung clones probably diluted the Pentax presence in the market, rather than improved it. Even the K20D's sensor (from Samsung) wasn't regarded that highly.

I suspect Hoya might have been trying to unload the Pentax camera division onto Samsung, but either way they were probably better off when the deal finished. So, be careful what you wish for.
05-15-2016, 02:37 PM - 3 Likes   #58
Pentaxian

Q system should be started from zero again - new body, more features, 1" sensor, new lenses and crop mode for old lenses.
If they go with a 1" sensor, they've basically created a Nikon 1, which doesn't sell any better than the Q does - and I know they would lose me as a customer. My main reason for buying the Q-7 was the way it turns the K-mount lenses I already have into super-birding lenses.
05-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
be careful what you wish for

I'll wish for a sensationally advanced ASP-C milc please!

At a bang for buck Ricoh/Pentax price.
05-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If they go with a 1" sensor, they've basically created a Nikon 1, which doesn't sell any better than the Q does - and I know they would lose me as a customer. My main reason for buying the Q-7 was the way it turns the K-mount lenses I already have into super-birding lenses.
Great image, and great points. The Q series definitely benefited from its K-lens alliance, and I never heard of Nikon folk doing that with the 1-series.