Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Q-s1 discontinued. The end of Q?

Ricoh WG-M1 and Pentax Q-S1 no longer in production

or is a Q-s2 coming? The Q is really in need of more connectivity.

05-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

And we have a winner! I saw this as well. I was wondering how long it would take before the first "end of Q" post would be made. We have our answer.
05-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah and as usual I looked at digicame info later.

The store that anounced it already retracted:
"The PENTAX WG-M1 and the PENTAX Q-S1 various set" regarding the wording correction "was we tweet as" production completed ", to be exact It seems useless and does not represent a" complete product ". In other words, is that of a not associated with = production and sales from the manufacturer has been completed in the sales channels which we belong. "

I do expect an announcement from Ricoh in the second half of May though. They usually have one.
05-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I do expect an announcement from Ricoh in the second half of May though. They usually have one.
Ricoh should have something to say about the Q before too long. Only a few months ago, Ricoh officials described the Q system as "current." And we know it does quite well in Japan. So I can't help but think there'll be more Q's of some type coming.

05-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think they'd drop the line altogether. Let's just hope they give us some new hardware!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think they'd drop the line altogether. Let's just hope they give us some new hardware!
Yes, it would be sad to see it come to an end. As a late starter with the Q system, I've become very fond of my Q7 and the few lenses I own. A really capable little package
05-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
Banned

I found only one shop having Q-S1 in stock overhere. The Q is not in the orderbook for shops to stock for some time now. So maybe they have some stock to keep Q alive in some markets, or make a second run on the Q-S1. Maybe one new body for photokina, but I don't know if sales are big enough to make a profit for such a new body to make sales over the coming 2 years.

05-14-2016, 04:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Although I am very sad to hear this I am not too surprised. The Q would have been pulling sales from Ricoh's own smaller cameras.

Based on what has been done Ricoh just finished up and sold the products that were in the pipeline when they purchased Pentax. They never really tried to take advantage of the smaller system idea.

No chops to step out and take a gamble.
05-14-2016, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Let's wait and see. Speculation is horrible. Ricoh own them and will make a statement soon, not any Pentax forum members.
05-14-2016, 07:13 PM   #10
JPT
Pentaxian

It's completely normal that the Q-S1 would head towards discontinuation around now. It's not just Yaotomi that is saying this. Another camera shop in Tokyo has similar wording on their website. I've also noticed that prices on the Q lenses have dropped by about 20% recently. The wide angle zoom almost looks like good value now at 33,000 yen.

It doesn't really say much about whether Ricoh will continue the line or not. In fact, they mentioned in an interview around a year ago that they were continuing with the Q line, but their attention is on FF and 645 for now. That is a plausible explanation for why things have been quiet, and I don't see any reason to doubt what they say.

Normally Ricoh makes some consumer camera announcements around this year, but there is a chance that any successor camera might be delayed because of the Kumamoto earthquake. It seems that a number of other mirrorless cameras are likely to be affected. So, I don't think it makes sense to get panicked about a camera going out of production without a replacement at this particular moment in time. The last time there was a big earthquake in 2011, there was a period of a few months where the K-r was basically sold out without a successor announced. Eventually the K-01 and the K-30 came out, and K-mount lives on.
05-14-2016, 09:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I haven't had any experience with the Q line and I was hoping to use it for street photography. However, what stopped me from buying one was I couldn't get any data as to how big is the sensor of Q cameras. Is it bigger or smaller than m4/3? Just would like to know what I missed.
05-14-2016, 09:15 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I haven't had any experience with the Q line and I was hoping to use it for street photography. However, what stopped me from buying one was I couldn't get any data as to how big is the sensor of Q cameras. Is it bigger or smaller than m4/3? Just would like to know what I missed.
An m4/3 camera has a crop factor of 2 while the Q-7 and Q-S1 have crop factors of roughly 4.7, and the original Q and Q-10 have crop factors of roughly 5.4.

That is, the m4/3 sensor is more than twice the size {in each dimension} of the sensor in the Q-7 and Q-S1 {and the sensor in the original Q and Q-10 is even smaller}
05-14-2016, 09:30 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Thanks reh321.
05-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The QS1 was releasing in August 2014 and Ricoh said recently that line is alive and part of their future plans, so expect a new version soon.

The WG-M2 was released in march 2016, so no need to produce the old model.
05-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I would like to see an APS-C mirrorless with a fully functional adapter for K-mount....