Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
05-20-2016, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Interesting. Hopefully Pentax doesn't abandon the Q system. I think it's pretty great, given the size of it. It looks like a very challenging fun camera. The kind of camera that is tons of fun to shoot with, but at the same time can challenge you to take an awesome photo just to prove that it's very capable, despite the fact that it uses a 1/1.7" sensor. I've seen a ton of impressive Q7 pictures.

I still want to get a couple of Q-S1 cameras sometime around the holidays at the end of this year.
+1 on that.

It is interesting to note that a rumour about discontinuation can arouse so much interest about a camera system that is supposedly very little respected here in our parts of the world. However, those who argue that the Q-system should be something rather different from what it is and those who compare the Q with mobile phones or compacts or bridge cameras don't seem to appreciate that the Q is a very unique system with an extremely compact form factor and yet with lots of features and a flexibility in the choice of optics hardly found anywhere else. And yes, The Squirrel Mafia is right: There are also challenges in the use; I can handle DR and noise in difficult situations much better with my K-3, but my Q10 provides me with new frontiers in respect of 'reach' and resolution in a very portable package.

Surely, it is a niche-product - but as such it doesn't necessarily need to score high on any sales lists. However, I do hope for Ricoh/Pentax that it is a profitable product line, because for me, the Q-system has become a charming and lasting relationship. I won't let go my K-3 and I won't let go my Q10 - I truly enjoy having both.

05-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #122
Pentaxian

^ Indeed! Ricoh just needs to market the Q system correctly. I bet a lot of people would like the idea of owning a very tiny camera with swappable lenses. The problem is that a lot of those people don't know that such a camera exists. They also need to get more aggressive on the pricing.
05-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Several others are playing their size cards very well. Sony with its RX100-series, the NEX-series with the 16-50mm, Panasonic with their GM5 and 12-32mm lens and LX100, and Olympus with E-M10 and their latest and smallest 14-42 lens, Canon with G7X, Nikon 1, and so on. If Pentax want to play this game, they have to innovate and shrink the Q camera and lenses. Unfortunately that is uncomfortable close to the phone camera competition. Thats why my suggestion lately have been to cooperate with phone companies and make Q mount camera modules to be built into phones (replacing the mount-less back camera) and new limited (even smaller) lenses for it. Raising the bar on what a high end camera phone should be.
05-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #124
Veteran Member

^ Indeed! Ricoh just needs to market the Q system correctly. I bet a lot of people would like the idea of owning a very tiny camera with swappable lenses. The problem is that a lot of those people don't know that such a camera exists. They also need to get more aggressive on the pricing.
I'd take that bet. A very tiny camera with swappable lenses is no longer a very tiny "camera".

05-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #125
Pentaxian

... I bet a lot of people would like the idea of owning a very tiny camera with swappable lenses. The problem is that a lot of those people don't know that such a camera exists...
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I'd take that bet. A very tiny camera with swappable lenses is no longer a very tiny "camera".
Whatever.
Play with definitions however you want, but a Q-based system is much smaller and lighter than any DSLR system.
05-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #126
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Q+1 is pretty tiny....Q+7 is a lot flatter, but IQ doesn't match the Pano GM1 with either of the OLY body caps.

I use the GM1 in good light and the Q+1 when the lights not so good, they compliment each other.
05-26-2016, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #127
Forum Member

Interesting. Hopefully Pentax doesn't abandon the Q system. I think it's pretty great, given the size of it. It looks like a very challenging fun camera. The kind of camera that is tons of fun to shoot with, but at the same time can challenge you to take an awesome photo just to prove that it's very capable, despite the fact that it uses a 1/1.7" sensor. I've seen a ton of impressive Q7 pictures.
That's why I was pointing out that Ricoh should use their existing technology like pixelshift, astrotracer, etc... to overcome th Q's shortcomings. This way they can continue to improve the Q line without risking too much on R&D.

The Q could become the swiss army knife of cameras and I think that it should be regarded as such. It's really the type of camera you have with you all the time and it offers the versatility of a DSLR system. IMHO it's the best travel / street camera out there.

They could even decline the range into two Q models, one aimed at amateur / consumer photographers and one aimed at expert / prosumer photographers. With one model offering possibilities which ease integration with social networks and facilitate selfies, food photography, etc... and the other one offering features like perspective control, pixel-shift resolution, built-in GPS with astrotracer, 1/2000 flash sync with leaf shutter lenses, etc...

Also sensor technology has evolved since 2014 and perhaps we could get a 16 mpix 1/1.7 or even a 2/3 sensor.

So in the end the Q system is far from over and I think Ricoh should tap into the incredible potential of it. It's not because it's a niche market that the niche can't be expanded.

But then again this is just my humble opinion.

10-04-2016, 06:59 PM   #128

Amen BNB!

---------- Post added 10-04-2016 at 10:00 PM ----------

After being on the fence for over a year, I finally purchased a QS-1 double zoom kit about a month or so ago, and am blown away by the quality of the images I've made with it. I held off purchasing it for so long because of the negative comments regarding low light performance, sensor size and too wide a DOF, etc. I'm glad I ignored them and have had a blast with this camera. It's not going to perform as well as my K-3, but Pentax did a pretty good job engineering a very capable camera in a very small package. I have made some frame-worthy images in the short time I've had the QS-1, and as Blunty mentioned in his YouTube video, it is a fun camera to shoot with.

The QS-1 is perfect for what I need--a fully manual capable camera, that shoots RAW, has interchangeable lenses, and is pocketable. I just bought the 07 mount shield lens, and have had some fun goofing around with it with digital filters and 1:1 aspect ratio, for the Lomo effect (without the $20+ per roll of film). I am planning to buy the lot of Q lenses over the next few months, and am looking forward to many years of fun with this camera system. I do hope that Pentax doesn't abandon the Q line--imagine what their engineers would do with a QS-2!!! Then, they must market it...show what it can do compared to a smartphone...etc.
10-05-2016, 06:32 AM   #129
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BNBPhoto Quote
Also sensor technology has evolved since 2014 and perhaps we could get a 16 mpix 1/1.7 or even a 2/3 sensor.
+1 Thumbs up!

And a new much slimmer 5-15mm.
10-05-2016, 06:58 AM   #130
Pentaxian

Google announces Pixel smartphone, offers the “best smartphone camera” says DxOMark

^ It's stuff like this that's not helping the cause for the Q. I still prefer a Q over this, but how many people think like us? Not too many. Hmmmm....
10-05-2016, 07:26 AM   #131
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Google announces Pixel smartphone, offers the “best smartphone camera” says DxOMark

^ It's stuff like this that's not helping the cause for the Q. I still prefer a Q over this, but how many people think like us? Not too many. Hmmmm....
Doesn't shoot RAW costs $649 (cheapest model) only one fixed lens. It is aiming at a totally different demographic.
10-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #132
ogl
Banned

I'm afraid 1/1.7" sensor is out of production...
10-05-2016, 12:56 PM   #133
Pentaxian

The sensor from the WG-M2 is available, same size as Q and Q10

Samsung are working on a 1/1.7" sensor for their smartphones, more than likely itll be in the S8 next year.

Could possibly be in the Note 8 too and lately thats been a HOT seller!
10-05-2016, 11:03 PM   #134
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The sensor from the WG-M2 is available, same size as Q and Q10
Back to 1/2.3" sensor ?
10-05-2016, 11:08 PM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Back to 1/2.3" sensor ?
Well if the Q7/s1 sensors finished, the WG-M2 doesn't shoot 4K video too bad!

Last edited by surfar; 10-06-2016 at 01:51 AM.