Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2016, 07:02 PM   #136
mee
Site Supporter

I was super happy to get the top LCD going from a K-30 to a K-5 II. I couldn't work without one now.. wayyy too useful for me.

Then I turn off the rear LED. that one has poor placement since it is right below the VF...

06-04-2016, 01:20 AM   #137
f22
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree that a third e- dial may not be very useful. What I would find very useful would to make the LCD a touch screen. Then I might use the liveview to control focus area and composition more often. Plus it would shut up all the Nikon and Canon fanboy reviewers that always put them above Pentax in their biased ranking's.
06-04-2016, 03:24 AM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would find photo reviewing and focus point selection nicer with a touchscreen. Pinch to zoom etc and dragging your finger to move about.

It would be nice if this could select the focus point whilst in video mode also, given there is no continuous autofocus offered at all.
06-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #139
Pentaxian

Do all of you criticizing the new dial tried it more than few minutes or at all? Just curious...

06-04-2016, 06:18 PM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Do all of you criticizing the new dial tried it more than few minutes or at all? Just curious...
I've never tried it. I like the idea and think it could be polished a bit more.

Things like wifi on/off could just be a button for example, using that with a wheel would take longer. They have also ended up with two methods of ISO control I think it was, right next to each other.

It does cut into the top screen significantly, but as above, I think that's overhyped anyway.
06-04-2016, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #141
Imp
Pentaxian

Maybe a menu option to control the settings of the dial would be better, take less space. A lot of the settings on the control dial seem a bit redundent/unecessary. But then again, as you say, I've never tried it.
06-06-2016, 12:12 AM   #142

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I've got biggish hands and the K-S2 body is too small for me, and I never felt the need to "upgrade" to it, but the tilting screen looks to handy at times (I rarely if ever use live view because of poor eyesight "accommodation" issues due to my age, and reflections issues - but I appreciate that 90% of camera/camera-phone users now do!).

Therefore I would hope that the K-70, or whatever it may be called, is not (much?) smaller than the K-30/K-50, and has some of those "missing features" (although I don't hold out any hope for a top screen). FWIW, I was looking to buy something the size of the K-S2, I'd be looking more in the micro four-thirds direction, but I'm not so happy with 4:3 aspect ratio as the 3:2 of the Pentaxes,
I don't know why the K-S2 has a reputation for having a smallish grip. I have both K-50 and K-S2, and to me, the KS-2 has slightly more wrap than the one on the K-50. But the sizes are very close, and the main grip difference is the thumb positions. The K-S2 only has an added-on rubberized wedge, whereas the K-50 thumb recess is nicely sculpted into the body. To me, it's more of an aesthetic issue than functional. Together with the K-5ii, I'd put them all in the same size class. Outside this group, for comparison, the *ist-D has a smaller grip, while I find the noticably larger one on the K10D definitely more comfortable.

The K-50 was essentially a simplified K5II, but the KS-2 in many respects surpassed the K5II, in resolution, focus-peaking, and magnified live-view. I'm expecting the K-70 to be a simplified K-3 of some sort, probably with a few features beyond the KS-3II, foreshadowing developments of the next Pentax APS-C flagship. This time, though, some extra features may come from the K-1.

As mentioned, the areas most needing obvious improvement are improved focusing, video, and sensor quality. Additionally, Nikon's D7200 and D500 cameras have surpassed Pentax/Ricoh's quality, giving motivation for raising Pentax' sensor quality up to those. But any of these improvements would involve a significant technology step, and it's not clear Pentax/Ricoh will expend that effort on what appears to be an entry-level version. But they might if there's an APS-C flagship in the wings. But...who knows?
06-06-2016, 05:47 AM   #143

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
The k-s1 only lasted a few hours before it was discontinued
Except the KS-1 has not been discontinued... At least not officially and is still widely available.

06-06-2016, 11:20 PM   #144
Pentaxian

In hindsight, Disavowed would have been a better choice.
06-07-2016, 12:00 AM   #145
Pentaxian

K-S1 was an experiment. One needs to experiment when one is a challenger on a fast-declining market.
06-07-2016, 03:23 AM   #146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
K-S1 was an experiment. One needs to experiment when one is a challenger on a fast-declining market.
The K-s1 is an underappreciated little camera. My son is very happy with his K-s1, despite the fact that the controls are not as good for his big hands as the K10d he came from. But it's so compact and light, and the 20 mp sensor delivers simply outstanding images, better in low light than my K-5.
06-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The K-s1 is an underappreciated little camera. My son is very happy with his K-s1, despite the fact that the controls are not as good for his big hands as the K10d he came from. But it's so compact and light, and the 20 mp sensor delivers simply outstanding images, better in low light than my K-5.
Fully agree. I have a K-30 and a K-S1 and I reach for the K-S1 most times. It really is stunning, especially for the price it's now going for.

The K-S1 to me was a misguided attempt to attract more customers, obviously of the younger variety. The thing is though, it approaches them as somewhat stupid and likely to be wowed by flashy lights. Todays younger customers research their products and are swayed by what's popular and well reviewed on the likes of youtube. The K-S1 does little to appeal to them, (no inbuilt wifi, no option to upload directly to social media accounts, no AF in video, no touchscreen interface etc etc), but it does have flashing lights in the grip, and it does put a box around the faces of people in live view, even if it doesn't focus on them all.

As before, I don't see how the K-S line can really continue along side the K-70, given they cross so much now with the K-S2. I'm looking forward to a new camera, essentially in the price bracket that I can afford (no K-1 for me) but it will need to offer something worthwhile over the K-S1 or the K-30, especially given the K-S2 already exists and on paper is the successor to these two already.
06-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #148
Pentaxian

Yeah, it is important to make things like K-01, K-S1, and others (like Q line). But unfortunately, Pentaxians are very conservative:

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
In hindsight, Disavowed would have been a better choice.
Despite the K-S1 having testing many new things, including LED lights on the camera (which have been improved further and featured on the K-1), it was considered "too weird" by many Pentaxians, who only buy a DSLR if it is a black box. Maaaaybe stormtrooper white, but nothing crazier than that.
Its too bad, because "oddball" cameras like that are very important for the company to continue evolving. I quite like the look of the K-S1, and it is super compact, with a good sensor. Only reason I didn't get one is that I'm still using a really old camera and am happy enough with it. And the amazing K-S1 deals I have seen online weren't available in my location
06-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #149
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It missed some key futures to appeal to a young Internet generation and was poorly marketed bij Ricoh because they had no clue how to reach to that new customer group. I think they still have stock from 2014 production.
06-07-2016, 02:46 PM - 2 Likes   #150
Pentaxian

IMHO it was undeservedly bashed by people too eager to bash Pentax for the sake of it.
Some attempted that for the K-1, before it was available.