Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2016, 07:04 AM   #166
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
A K-3 II is $850 while the K-70 is $650. That's a pretty big difference, and that's comparing the INTRO price of a K-70 to the K-3 II which has been around for quite a while. Obviously the K-70 price will be going down. And given that the K-70 has some very significant features that the K-3 lacks, it's pretty much a toss-up, unless you specifically need something like dual slots or a grip or more than 6fps burst.
I didn't say K-3 II. I said K-3.

The point is, you scoffed at people who had high hopes for the K-70 feature list...things like a 24MP sensor, simulated AA filter, flip screen, pixel shift, WiFi, etc. and it turns out it got all that and much more, such as 14-bit output, PDAF sensors on the image sensor, a mic input and HDMI output, wireless tethering, etc. And it still maintained its low price and smaller size.
No, I didn't mention any of those things. I mentioned 4k and super video support. And guess what? It didn't get those things. People fantasize and dream up the moon but forget Rome wasn't built in a day.. And Pentax has mentioned several times they aren't leading with video features.

So to me, it really is a thoroughbred race horse, for the price of a pony. Especially when you compare it to what the competition offers at this price level.
Ok. But it is still a mid-tier body in the Pentax lineup. It is a strong performer though for sure.

If I were buying a camera right now, I would choose the K-70 over the K-3 II, even if the prices were identical. That being said, I imagine the successor to the K-3 II will be pretty dang impressive, and will put the K-70 back in its place, but it will also probably be twice the price.
You seem to go for the lighter mid-tiers. That's fine. The flagships are still a ton more camera. As they should be, their in a whole different tier/level. Have you handled one before? My experience was one of "I'm never going back (to mid or lower tiered bodies)/" when I tried one. The only thing I didn't like was the weight, but it was worth it (to me).

It is also why I don't hunt down a K-1 to try.. they can have that affect.

Last edited by mee; 06-12-2016 at 07:17 AM.
06-12-2016, 08:40 AM   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You seem to go for the lighter mid-tiers. That's fine. The flagships are still a ton more camera. As they should be, their in a whole different tier/level. Have you handled one before? My experience was one of "I'm never going back (to mid or lower tiered bodies)/" when I tried one. The only thing I didn't like was the weight, but it was worth it (to me).

It is also why I don't hunt down a K-1 to try.. they can have that affect.
Yeah, I tend to prefer a smaller/lighter camera, and that's probably why I'm a cheerleader for cramming as many features into the K-70 as possible.

There are never any Pentax bodies to play with in local stores, so I've never actually handled a K-5 or K-3, but I've hefted 7D's and such at Best Buy, and I just don't care for the extra bulk of the enthusiast/semi-pro models. The difference doesn't seem that big on paper, but in the hand I find my K-30 much more comfortable. That's why I've stuck with the mid-tier models, and it's why my second camera is a Pansonic GX7.
06-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #168
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, this is still a mid-tier body. It is just the next gen mid tier body. Pony price is 300 bucks like the K-50 goes for. This is more than twice that amount. This is around the price of a K-3 at the moment. And the K-3 still has dual card slots, mag alloy body, grip support, more AF points, faster shutter and faster burst. ..likely quieter shutter too.
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You forgot to mention articulating LCD and WiFi ... and the neat silver/black color scheme - personally I really hate the all-black bodies begun by the Canon T-90.

Over the next few months we'll see how the KAF4 interface works out.
Something I discovered after I posted the above is that the K-70 has a new accelerator unit
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/323475-pentax-k-70-...ator-unit.html

I doubt if we will understand / appreciate the implications of this unit until we start seeing images from the K-70, but this kind of technology could boost the system up at least "a notch". Eventually this could show up on every camera from Pentax, certainly on the camera that replaces the K-3ii, but right now it is on the K-70.
06-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #169
Pentaxian

The k-3/k-5 range has a different focused unit to the k-30/50/s2/70 etc. But core feature wise they are quite similar. Personally the smaller buffer is my pet annoyance.

In practise certain models may suit users differently, especially where price is an issue. Traditionally also, as here, we've seen new developments in the mid tier series ahead of the 'flagships'

With AF in video being provided, a touchscreen is definitely now more useful, see in a very real purpose to direct the AF point.

Bar a mic port there really isn't anything more than the AF addition in terms of video improvements here. I'm not buying this 'the k-70 is a video focused model' claim. I want video improvements more than most, but this isn't attracting me. Add real SR in video mode back and I'll buy it Pentax.

A touchscreen.

06-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #170
Pentaxian

What no AA battery option?

I did see they added an interval timer for Bulb mode. Now for the endless squealing to update the firmware to add this feature to the *istD on up.
06-12-2016, 03:18 PM   #171
Pentaxian

I'd be happy if the intervalometer worked outright. Mine just stopped several times for no apparent reason, and no error message was given. I don't trust it, which is annoying, as it's a pretty cool but basic feature to get right.
06-12-2016, 08:34 PM   #172
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I'd be happy if the intervalometer worked outright. Mine just stopped several times for no apparent reason, and no error message was given. I don't trust it, which is annoying, as it's a pretty cool but basic feature to get right.
On both my K-30 and K-5 II I've experienced that as well.. even with the AF disengaged, battery grip attached (dual power sources), and the rear review disabled.. sometimes it would work for an hour or two.. other times it would decide it had enough after 20 minutes. If I was serious about using it, I'd probbly buy a 3rd party external jobby.
06-12-2016, 10:04 PM   #173
Pentaxian

On both my K-30 and K-5 II I've experienced that as well.. even with the AF disengaged, battery grip attached (dual power sources), and the rear review disabled.. sometimes it would work for an hour or two.. other times it would decide it had enough after 20 minutes. If I was serious about using it, I'd probbly buy a 3rd party external jobby.

Exactly. I think it's a fair call to make that if a feature exists on the product/marketing info, then it should work well.

This and the video SR etc just aren't up to speed. I have no faith in either to work and contribute towards a quality output.
It's even more frustrating as software wise an intervalometer is pretty darn basic, requiring a timer (already present for 2s/10s shot delay) and an incremental counter.