Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2016, 11:04 AM   #91

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not accusing you of anything, please don't misunderstand.
I did not think you were. No offense taken.

05-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #92
Pentaxian

All is good then
I guess we won't have to wait for long until an official announcement...
05-24-2016, 11:43 AM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Well it has a K in it so it's not a q or a 645. K30>K50>K70 ehmmm well dunno? Mid level wr aps-c 20/24mp two control wheel no top lcd 1/6000 second 12bit raw files camera now with wifi and articulating back lcd
Sounds nice! Just add SAFOX XI, keep the pop up flash with wireless control mode, up to date SR (K3ii module) and it will sound like a very tempting upgrade from a K30/K50... Icing on the cake will be pixel-shift, but I don't think we'll see this for now in anything else than the flagship models. But who knows...
05-24-2016, 11:53 AM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Icing on the cake will be pixel-shift, but I don't think we'll see this for now in anything else than the flagship models. But who knows...
But then again, Olympus has it on a non-flagship model, so maybe it's possible.

05-24-2016, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think the uprated SR is required for pixel shift, so it simply comes down to whether Pentax include this in all models moving forward, or keep it for the top of the range ones only.

I think it's a given the sensor will jump up in MP, either to 20 or 24MP, and won't have an AA filter.

Personally I really liked the K-30 offering. It cut corners in areas I was ok with. ie no grip offering, limited to max shutter speed of 1/6000th second, not super strong body as I can look after a camera myself anyway. And it gave strengths I did like, such as WR sealing, live view with focus peaking, a good optical viewfinder (well as good as you can get in APS-C land), AA battery option etc.

For me a larger buffer would be really appreciated. I'd like a faster burst rate, but a larger buffer to keep what rate it does have going for longer would be appreciated.

And a return of the video SR, last seen on the K-5 series. I'd secretly hoped they'd address this obvious oversight soon after I purchased this camera, via a firmware update. Several completely new models later and I realise that wasn't going to happen. It's disappointing, given Pentax was leading the field in this originally, and now it's the new must have feature on the Sony and Olympus ranges. They're doing now what Pentax was years ago, before Pentax dropped it and a major selling point of their cameras.
05-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #96
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Yeah, I didn't say the K-30 was a K-5 II and that the cameras were identical. The K-30 also cost a lot less. You basically just repeated my post, in more detail.
Neither is a thoroughbred identical to a pony. Yet you criticized my statements yet now you are seemingly agreeing with them. So I'm not sure what to say there..

The K-30 was never the thoroughbred. It was a pony. A really nice one at that. The K-5II/K-3/K-3II is/are the thoroughbred(s).

We all have to wait and see what's offered. But some people here seem to be more or less requesting everything and the kitchen sink for 500 dollars. It doesn't work that way!

These threads get inflated with lots of wishes and dreams and the resulting product can never meet those expectations. Especially when Ricoh has a vision for what Pentax is and is not and some seem to get upset with their own personal vision is not in alignment with what is truly in place.
05-24-2016, 04:40 PM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Neither is a thoroughbred identical to a pony. Yet you criticized my statements yet now you are seemingly agreeing with them. So I'm not sure what to say there..

The K-30 was never the thoroughbred. It was a pony. A really nice one at that. The K-5II/K-3/K-3II is/are the thoroughbred(s).
It's not that I disagree with the basic idea, it's just that I think your comparison goes too far, and is insulting. I think there's a much bigger difference between a pony and a thoroughbred race horse than there is between a K-30 and a K-5. That's why, as K-30 owner, I didn't think it was all that LOL. You're either selling the K-30 way short, or you're overvaluing the K-5 by an absurd margin.

I can take my K-30 to an event where other parents are shooting high-end Canon and Nikon cameras (that I guess would make the K-5/K-3 look like a pony to you), and I can come away with pictures as good as, or better, than theirs. And it's because my K-30, which is built around the same kick-ass sensor as the K-5, is good enough to produce images that are virtually indistinguishable from a professional camera. But you're not gonna race a pony against horses and get good results, even if you've got the best jockey in the world. Not to mention you'd look ridiculous doing it.

It's more like we want a Camaro with the Corvette engine, which is something that Chevy has done before. The Camaro is still a high-performance vehicle, but on a racetrack where both cars have equally expert drivers, it's not going to keep up with the Corvette. But for the price, you would not expect it to. It hits the sweet spot of the price/performance curve.

That's how I view my K-30, which is now closing in on 70,000 clicks, and still looks and works like new, even without a magnesium-alloy body.

I bought it when it was first released in 2012, and since that time I've spent thousands of dollars in lenses, and in going to a dual m43 system, and in adding some high-end compacts to my kit, such as the Panasonic LX100 that I paid $900 for. But I have never felt a need to upgrade from the K-30 to the K-5 or K-3. I've looked at them, and weighed the benefits, but there just hasn't been enough extra performance there to entice me to upgrade. Image quality is hardly any better, and some of the features such as a top LCD, battery grip, metal body, and dual dials are not things I care about and they will do nothing to help me get better pictures.
05-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #98
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But some people here seem to be more or less requesting everything and the kitchen sink for 500 dollars. It doesn't work that way!
This is an Internet forum thread where we are discussing a rumored, unannounced product... What did you expect?

That being said, I don't recall there being much discussion of price up-thread, so I'm not sure where that $500 is coming from. Personally, I think the K-70 will sell near the price that the K-3 is currently selling for, so that would be maybe $700-800? Then the K-3 replacement would move back to somewhere in the $1000-1250 ballpark. As most upthread, I do expect the K-70 to have 12-bit raw, no grip, and LI109. I hope for K-3 level AF because using the K-1 module in the K-3's successor will give it nearly full APS-C frame coverage, so it makes sense to move the current K-3 module "down". I think FPS for the K-70 really depends on where they're going with the K-3 successor. Basically, expect the K-70 to have about 3 fps less than the K-3 successor. I'd like them not to skimp on features like composition adjustment, multi-exposure and interval shooting because the K-30 and K-50 did not - though the K-S1 and K-S2 did. I hope for a 200k shutter because they went to 300k for the K-1, but I do think that it's more likely to be 100k...

05-24-2016, 05:04 PM   #99
Pentaxian

It hits the sweet spot of the price/performance curve.
Damn right. The K-30/K-50 gave a massive performer for not much money, ditching nice to haves but retaining the core.

I also would want to ensure that the K-70 retains the software abilities. Removing code such as interval shooting is just silly price point differentiation stuff.

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I hope for a 200k shutter because they went to 300k for the K-1, but I do think that it's more likely to be 100k...

I'd hope for an aperture motor that lasts more than 10% of that value also...
05-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #100
mee
Site Supporter

It's not that I disagree with the basic idea, it's just that I think your comparison goes too far, and is insulting. I think there's a much bigger difference between a pony and a thoroughbred race horse than there is between a K-30 and a K-5. That's why, as K-30 owner, I didn't think it was all that LOL. You're either selling the K-30 way short, or you're overvaluing the K-5 by an absurd margin.

I can take my K-30 to an event where other parents are shooting high-end Canon and Nikon cameras (that I guess would make the K-5/K-3 look like a pony to you), and I can come away with pictures as good as, or better, than theirs. And it's because my K-30, which is built around the same kick-ass sensor as the K-5, is good enough to produce images that are virtually indistinguishable from a professional camera. But you're not gonna race a pony against horses and get good results, even if you've got the best jockey in the world. Not to mention you'd look ridiculous doing it.

It's more like we want a Camaro with the Corvette engine, which is something that Chevy has done before. The Camaro is still a high-performance vehicle, but on a racetrack where both cars have equally expert drivers, it's not going to keep up with the Corvette. But for the price, you would not expect it to. It hits the sweet spot of the price/performance curve.

That's how I view my K-30, which is now closing in on 70,000 clicks, and still looks and works like new, even without a magnesium-alloy body.

I bought it when it was first released in 2012, and since that time I've spent thousands of dollars in lenses, and in going to a dual m43 system, and in adding some high-end compacts to my kit, such as the Panasonic LX100 that I paid $900 for. But I have never felt a need to upgrade from the K-30 to the K-5 or K-3. I've looked at them, and weighed the benefits, but there just hasn't been enough extra performance there to entice me to upgrade. Image quality is hardly any better, and some of the features such as a top LCD, battery grip, metal body, and dual dials are not things I care about and they will do nothing to help me get better pictures.
I see you are passionate about your beloved K-30 and I seem to have thus hit a really soft spot without meaning to.

Like I said, it is a nice camera. But it is no flagship. It wasn't designed to be!
05-24-2016, 05:50 PM - 2 Likes   #101
Pentaxian

I see you are passionate about your beloved K-30 and I seem to have thus hit a really soft spot without meaning to.

Like I said, it is a nice camera. But it is no flagship. It wasn't designed to be!
Kind of like a pony is a nice horse?

Anyway, I'm glad we've established that the K-30 was not the flagship APS-C camera. That must be why I only paid $750 for it brand-new when it was first released. Now we're really getting somewhere!
05-24-2016, 07:06 PM   #102
mee
Site Supporter

Kind of like a pony is a nice horse?

Anyway, I'm glad we've established that the K-30 was not the flagship APS-C camera. That must be why I only paid $750 for it brand-new when it was first released. Now we're really getting somewhere!
ok...
05-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #103
Pentaxian

ok...
Consider the MSRPs at introduction (body-only):
K-5 (2010) @ $1599.95 USD
K-30 (May 2012) @ $849.95 USD
K-5ii (Sept 2012) @ $1299.95 USD
05-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #104
Pentaxian

Ok so we've proven what we knew all along, with regards to where the K-30 sat in the hierarchy.

The discussion remains as to what will change in future models. Obvious seems to be sensor (even the failed K-S1 received 20MP and no AA filter and AA filter simulation).
Is there a need for a floppy screen? I'm not sure.

I think GPS will remain on flagships, which don't have flashes built in.
Wifi for sure. Weather sealed.

I wish they would increase the buffer.

Maybe a mic in for video work, maybe a headphone out?
Hopefully some video focussed features, such as returning SR in video, keeping focus peaking working during video, upping the bit rate.
Chances of that ~ 5%?
05-24-2016, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #105
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best thing is to avoid SAFOX with 11 AF points in middle level cameras. Add K-3's SAFOX11.