Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it has 24mp, K-3 level AF and a K-1 style tilting screen, I predict the K-70 will be my next camera... I don't mind losing dual SD, grip or sync port from my K-3. I don't need 1/200 flash sync speed, but it would be nice. I'd prefer 200k+ rated shutter, but might still buy if it's only 100k. I'm pretty sensitive to the shutter sound though. It's very subjective, but the K-3's shutter sound is wonderful. Probably won't buy the K-70 if sensor shift and K-3/K-S2 level Multi-Exposure and Interval Composite are not there. Would much prefer LI-90 over LI-109, but probably not a deal-breaker.

Meanwhile the K-3 successor should also inherit the K-1 tilting screen, plus the K-1 AF module, three-wheel setup, and maybe a BSI sensor and high FPS with very deep buffer... Good video with 4K would be icing on the cake.

I wonder if they will announce the K-3 successor at the same time as the K-70...

05-19-2016, 09:50 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
So the K-5 replaced the K-7.

And the K-70 will replace the K-50.

OK, sure. Why not?
Don't forget the K20D replaced the K10D. Then the K-30 came later and stood alone.

I've never worried about the naming convention used by Pentax because it's never made sense.
05-19-2016, 10:13 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
So the K-5 replaced the K-7.

And the K-70 will replace the K-50.

OK, sure. Why not?
And after that the K-30 oh wait.....

I do believe Asahiman said there would be two new dslrs this year (apart from the K-1) so a K-70 soon (within two weeks) and the K-3 II successor on Photokina.

Last edited by D1N0; 05-19-2016 at 10:31 AM. Reason: I added more of my nonsense ;)
05-19-2016, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Somewhere in all these APS-C choices...with be the camera with advanced video.
I sure hope so! I love my Pentax cameras but the video on them is worthless, years behind even entry level competitors. I don't know about "Advanced video",.....I'd settle for just normal entry level video.

Jack

05-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I find the video on My k-5 OK. Then again SR is working when filming on the K-5
05-19-2016, 11:28 AM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

My guess for the K-70 would be sensor & most components from the K-S2, a new shutter mechanism, and a standard articulating screen. Possibly safox 11 instead of 10.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-19-2016, 12:45 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
My guess for the K-70 would be sensor & most components from the K-S2, a new shutter mechanism, and a standard articulating screen. Possibly safox 11 instead of 10.
In that case, what happens to the K-S2? Sounds like the kiss of death to it.

05-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Davep Quote
In that case, what happens to the K-S2? Sounds like the kiss of death to it.
Just like the K-S2 didn't kill the K-50, I'm sure the same would happen here and the K-S2 would fall to being the upper entry-level offering rather than the mid-range. Who knows though!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #24
Pentaxian

This is certainly good news. I love my K-50 & a K-70 with a few improvements would be nice to own later on.

I'm really curious as to what the next generation APS-C flagship will bring.
05-19-2016, 02:50 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Does make you wonder where they will go with this.

I've always seen two product lines in Pentax APS-C land: One with the 'pro' features such as a grip option, big burst rate and large buffer, and the consumer line without a grip, without the all metal construction and with a lower burst and max shutter speed etc.

My point with this though, is where does the K-S2 fit, given that's really a K-60 if you will anyway. It's weather sealed, has wifi and a floppy screen, pretty much everything you'd add these days to the K-50.

A K-70 could be an opportunity to revise the video abilities, but I've seen nothing from Pentax to support that. Video wise Pentax have done close to nothing since the K-30/K-01 cameras, where they gained full manual control and 1080P at 24fps, but lost mechanical sensor stabilisation, never to be seen again. They're now the bottom of the heap in terms of video ability, with previously useless companies like Fuji and Olympus really upping their game in this area recently.

Last edited by richandfleur; 05-19-2016 at 03:35 PM.
05-19-2016, 02:51 PM   #26
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I've always seen two product lines in Pentax APS-C land: One with the 'pro' features such as a grip option, big burst rate and large buffer, and the consumer line without a grip, without the all metal construction and with a lower burst and max shutter speed etc.
Exactly - I don't know if this camera will be something exciting, or the first pentax camera that I personally see released that is a disappointment. Sorta like the K-50 after the K-30 - but I only became a pentaxian after that release
05-19-2016, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

If I wanted video I'd buy a Canon. But because I don't care about video I'm content with my K10D. One day I'll upgrade to the K-1, but I'm not sure I'm ready to leave the amazing CCD in the K10D behind.

I understand video capability is important to some, but that is the very last feature I consider in a DSLR. Wait, second-to-last; EVFs are at the very bottom.
05-19-2016, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
If I wanted video I'd buy a Canon. But because I don't care about video

Great, good to know.

I want video and I wouldn't buy a Canon for it.

So happy to hear shopping advice from people who openly say they don't care about a subject.

Forget the video aspect for a second, the comment was about what are they going to put in a K-70, given the K-S2 was pretty much the K-30/50 upgrade anyway?

One of the possible answers that has been mentioned is some video improvements. Pentax has had video on every single DSLR for 7 or so years now. You can't buy a Pentax without video capabilities. Newer models build on this further by including microphone input and headphone output sockets, and you don't use those much for landscape work. Video is part of Pentax, even if many Pentax users don't want to see or use it.

Pentax has a decent video base. They could improve on this easily with some minor changes, and this would bring them up to say 2015 specs. Moving forward, if they want to become up with today's best, they've got a long way to come, but I'm not asking for that really. I'm simply saying restore the sensor based stabilisation, keep focus peaking working whilst you record and up the bit rate a bit so they value IQ instead of smaller file sizes. Right now it's like being offered **JPEG quality only in video, with no *** or RAW option.

I doubt Pentax will make the changes above, but I hope they do.

Hard to see where you take the K-70 without it directly encroaching on the K-3 range, unless you just rehash it with newer features like pixelshift and LED assist lights only instead?

Last edited by richandfleur; 05-19-2016 at 07:18 PM.
05-19-2016, 07:40 PM   #29
Pentaxian

It sounded like they learned some new things with SR-II, so hopefully the SR in APSc bodies will take a step forward. Maybe we can get to 10-axis SR and take images that prove or disprove string theory?
05-19-2016, 07:46 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
It sounded like they learned some new things with SR-II, so hopefully the SR in APSc bodies will take a step forward.
Yeah it sounded like the pixel shift ability really did need improved control ability over the traditional SR system, which is understandable given you're talking about a 1 pixel sized move across and up etc?!

With that level of control at your finger tips, I'm surprised they didn't reinstate the SR for video, but on the flipside, maybe it creates a lot of noise?
We just don't know, but SR in video seems an obvious trick they're missing from the repertoire to match the AA filter, stills stability, astrotracing and pixel shift abilities.
SR during video was the latest big addition to Sony and Olympus cameras, some 7 or so years after Pentax had this working on the K-x/K-7 and K-5 models.