Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2016, 12:57 PM   #61
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I'll help you to choose a camera quickly. Here are my steps:

1. All you have to do is read about the cameras.
2. Then narrow it down to the features you like.
3. Then you read the feedback of how it works and how beautiful the pictures come out.
4. Then you look at the sample shots.
5. If a store offers it, you go there and hold the camera to get the feel of it.
6. Next you start looking into your bank account if you have the money. If you don't, you start to squint.

Then you do steps 1-6 about 3 times. You dream about it and comes the next steps.
1. You start justifying the expense.
2. You start to save money for it.
3. You order it or buy it from the store.
4. You'll have it.

Finally you can say, 'After all the efforts I've been through, I made the right decision. And it's all mine!'

Then you'll live through it.
But then.....sometimes not even one week later you will find the exact same camera you bought, own and enjoy......cheaper in a place you forgot to look!

05-23-2016, 11:06 AM   #62
f22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope the K-70 has:
24 MP APS-C sensor
Pixel-Shift
Fully articulated screen
Wireless/NFC/GPS
4k Video
05-23-2016, 11:44 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by f22 Quote
I hope the K-70 has:
24 MP APS-C sensor
Pixel-Shift
Fully articulated screen
Wireless/NFC/GPS
4k Video
LOL!! good wish list!!

and add to that - should be close in size to the Q
05-23-2016, 11:48 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hope you're right.

Would like to see the K3 replaced with a model that inherits advances from the K1, along with less noise.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well, they have 5 right now (K-50, K-3, K-3 II, K-S1, K-S2) so I wouldn't want to see a downgrade

Since the K-50 is out of production at the moment and is turning 3 years old (base hardware 4 years old), it would make sense for an updated model to replace it.

If they registered it with a radio agency then one thing is for sure: it'll have Wi-Fi.

As for market placement, it would still make sense to have entry-level, upper entry-level, mid-range, and advanced offerings. I do agree, however, that it might be worthwhile for Pentax to make an even higher specced APS-C model than the K-3 primarily for those who want to shoot action.

05-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will be (pleasantly) surprised if a K-70 has PixelShift as I consider that a flagship feature.
05-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I will be (pleasantly) surprised if a K-70 has PixelShift as I consider that a flagship feature.
I don't see the fully articulated screen (ala K-1) as anything but a flagship feature either.

Perhaps a flippy screen ala K-S2 without the selfie button or an articulated screen ala 645Z.
05-23-2016, 05:24 PM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I don't see the fully articulated screen (ala K-1) as anything but a flagship feature either.
Or they could put the screen and the mirror housing from the K-1 on all Pentax cameras as something to visually distinguish the brand from the crowd that has been following the T-90 for entirely too long now.

05-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-S2 picked up the simulated AA filter, actually so did the K-S1. It sounds like the K-3ii and K-1 received uprated SR units, which were required for the pixel shift feature. So really it will come down to Pentax opting to move forward with these uprated SR systems on all models, or just some.

As before, IF Pentax IS going keep running with a K-30/50/70 series AND a K-S1/S2/S3 series, then which features will suit which style.

Which features are considered young hipster (4k video, touchscreen, Wifi, GPS, mobile app, floppy/twisty screen, LED lights in the grip?! etc) and which are considered consumer DSLR level (pixelshift, higher res sensor etc?).

Personally I think the K-S2 was the K-60. It's weather sealed, had a higher res sensor and a floppy/twisty screen. But assuming they are different ranges, then the K-S3 is looking good for me. The K-S2 being weather sealed as well really did raise it up out of the toy K-S1 area. If the K-S series is to continue with a K-S3 model, aimed at young people and things they give a damn about, then it's got to have some better video capabilities, and realistically should be a touchscreen mirrorless device if they really want to acknowledge this market.
05-23-2016, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #69
mee
Veteran Member

Some of you are asking for a thoroughbred race horse but are only willing to pay for a pony. Further, you want the performance of the race horse, but you want it in the form factor of a pony.
05-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Some of you are asking for a thoroughbred race horse but are only willing to pay for a pony. Further, you want the performance of the race horse, but you want it in the form factor of a pony.

I guess it comes down to determining what sort of 'upgrade' you're going to get when they release a newer model.

Canon for example has effectively released the same entry level DSLR for 10 years or so now.

What sort of incremental development would you expect to see on the K-50 replacement? Is keeping up with the times too much? Improved video is occurring everywhere else out beyond Pentaxland, so is it unreasonable to expect Pentax to keep up with the minimum industry standard level in this area? In other areas such as creative use of the sensor shift system, Pentax is leading the way, well apart from video stabilisation, where it once did lead but has taken a backward step.

The K-S2 was around the same cost as the K-50 wasn't it? In which case it's indicative of what you could see in the K-70 unit. But my point is then isn't that a K-S2 by another name?
Are we expecting a K-S2 with a fat grip to be the K-70?
05-23-2016, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #71

I willing to bet more people would rather have an On-board Flash than 4K video.
05-23-2016, 06:58 PM   #72
mee
Veteran Member

I willing to bet more people would rather have an On-board Flash than 4K video.
I'm thinking 4k might be a slim possibility.. and the on-board flash too more so. But not the 4k as Canon is working on.. just 30fps and no extra continuous AF.. The K-30 seemed like a K-01 with a VF and some features that didn't make it up to the flagship until the K-3 was released a bit later.

The K-5 still output better IQ then.. but it was hobbled by a slow processor. The K-30 had a faster processor, but they hobbled it by limiting DNG to 12-bit, smallish buffer, and limiting the burst rate.. It was still a huge upgrade over the K-r though and a sidegrade from the K-5 in some ways..

So I'm not entirely convinced 4k COULDN'T happen.. but more so not expecting it in a K-70. I really think it will be K-3 lite with K-S2 outward features.
05-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Apparently you're not very familiar with what the K-30 and K-50 were. They contained almost all the performance and features of the flagship APS-C camera, but in a less-expensive, less-rugged body without some of the niceties such as a second dial and top LCD. And the body was also smaller and lighter than the flagship camera.

So when somebody hopes that the K-70 will provide most of the performance/features of the K-3 II but in smaller/lighter/less expensive body, then they're really just hoping that it continues in the tradition of the K-30 and K-50. So I'm not sure why you think that's so funny.
05-23-2016, 07:36 PM   #74
Imp
Pentaxian

On-board Flash than 4K video.
not me

but the two are hardly related, its not really an either or thing
05-23-2016, 08:30 PM   #75
Pentaxian

Yeah there were differences that made the K-3 the flagship, but a lot of the photo features arrived in the K-30 over the K-5, before the K-3 was around.

The K-30 picked up full manual control and 1080p at 24fps in video mode before the K-3 arrived.

The major point of difference to me between the two ranges is the metal body, the faster 1/8000 max shutter speed, the bigger buffer and faster fps burst shooting, and the ability to add a grip. You could argue the top LCD screen also, but looking back the likes of the K-100d had this years ago, though nowadays the rear screens are much better and you don't miss the top LCD like I thought you would. Anyhow coming back to this discussion...

The point is there is often a consumer grade camera prior to a new flagship, and often new developments occur in lower range models, before they filter up to the flagship. Also I don't like the word flagship now, as the 645Z is the flag ship, and then the K-1 and then whatever is in the pro line in the APS-C range and then whatever is in the consumer line in the APS-C range.

Pentax is miles behind in video, so they will have to address this at some stage. There are lots of options though. You could go a lower res, higher ISO ability K-70 and then a 'normal' approach K-S3 for video for example. Honestly I have no idea why there is a K-S range anyway, given the K-S2 is practically on a level with a K-50/K-70, so isn't much cheaper, and isn't much off in the direction to appeal to hipsters. A retro camera (of which Pentax has actual legitimate heritage to claim from) would be equally as well selling I'd expect if they got it right.